CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #21
Patrick Haskell

Profile:
Re: How intense should Crossfit be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kirkpatrick View Post
Here's my take on it. Crossfit works the mental aspect just as much or more than it does the physical aspect in my opinion.
I think the mental/physical distinction is a good way to consider intensity. Coach neatly points out that intensity is work/time, and some metcon workouts emphasize work, while other emphasize intensity (power). The advice to mix it up, I think, is a good one. Go heavy some days and light others. (Of course, if Elizabeth is taking you over an hour b/c your 1RM clean is ~135#, than by all means scale the weight. I have yet to see Coach prescribe 45 reps of 1RM.)

One thing that has helped me with my times lately is not just to rest less frequently, but to hop right back in after a few deep breaths when I do rest. Also, having an agressive strategy for how to break up, say, a set of 21 helps. Knowing that I'm going to stop at 12 helps me push through an extra couple of reps, when I might otherwise stop at 9. My times are hardly blazing, so maybe this strategy is a placebo and simply following CFit is making me stronger, but having a focus short of the endgame definitely helps me keep up the mental intensity, and the physical intensity follows.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #22
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Thanks, everybody. I think a good thing for me to do would be to make sure I scale down weight due to both my meager size and metcon abilities, then time rests more diligently so as to force myself to go faster.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #23
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Plan your race, then race your plan. I wish I could take credit for that, but that's from Matt Gagliardi. It's very sound advice for WoD's and helps inform your rest periods and even workout design from the beginning. Coach has said much the same at a Cert. managing work/rest intervals is an important aspect of CF (and life's random challenges, as well). If you look at Liz and you know that you're 1 RM for a clean is 155, then that's simply not going to happen. Scale appropriately, but even then, plan your rest/work intervals and try to stick to it. Do the 21 as 9-7-5, with about 4-5 quick breaths b/w each of those. Do the same for dips. Then make the 15 a 6-5-4, and so on. That's just one example. Breathe very, very deep in through your nose when "resting" and then hit it right at your 5th breath.

My $.02.