CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #11
Brad Davis

Profile:
Re: How intense should Crossfit be?

Just gonna back up the ones recommending to scale the workouts.

When I started CF, I didn't even KNOW about the scaled workouts and about half killed myself--sounds about like what some of you guys are typing. I was able to keep up with the WOD, but it ground me down over time and I ended up with nagging injuries.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
Why would strength work make me "unconditioned?" It is anaerobic after all.
You'd be doing something intense for a few reps at 5-10 seconds per rep, then getting a full recovery period of 2-5 minutes. You're body is used to getting that, but you can't get it during a MetCon.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

How intense should crossfit be? Only you can decide.

Crossfit favors light people some days heavy ones other days

Time for WOD is relative, yours should improve! The worse you are to start the more likely the improvements will be big.

When I push hard I feel like I may die, that's how you get your time to improve. When you realize you don't actually die, in the future you know how hard you can push and it probably is not hard enough. Get a hardcore w/o partner to do the WOD with and see if that won't give you better times.

On scaling workouts. Yes, scale the workouts, it should actually make you feel closer to death than ones with heavy weight. Slowing due to localized muscle fatigue is way more comfortable to me than the metabolic poisoning I get when the weight is light enough that my muscles can go on but my heart and lungs feel like they are going away.

Make sure you are doing the crossfit warmup working towards three sets of 15 pullups, 15 ring dips, 15 squats, 15 back extensions, Sampson stretch, or something similar.

If your times are not where you want them you have a choice, push harder to improve or not! Only you can make that decision. Pushing hard has a price, if you push hard enough the discomfort can be frightening. Not pushing hard has a price also, I would rather pay the first than the second...
Old 09-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #14
Corey Duvall

Profile:

"Should I scale and work faster or should I keep the weight up and work slower?"

Yes. Crossfit is constantly varied. So do that. Some days work heavier, some days lighter. Do it all. Perhaps (if you can do so with proper technique) INCREASE the weight. After a heavy fran with 135 lb thrusters, 95 will feel like nothing.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
Derek Maffett

Profile:

*Briefly considers 135 lb thrusters*

Nope, ain't gonna happen.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #16
John Maloney

Profile:

It should be full-on intense. MOST of my workouts end w/ me teets-up on the floor. Nothing wrong w/ that.

That said, SCALE the w/o as others have suggested. Why? b/c it's far more beneficial to train 4-5 days a weeks scaled than it is to train 2-3 as rx'd. Check your ego. You don't want to be so sore or wiped out that it affects your training frequency. Your body will adapt much more quickly training 4-5 days/wk.

P.S. Everyone comes in at a diff fitness level Some are quite poor (and it doesn't matter - who cares?). It took me 6 wks at an affiliate b/f I could even finish a single full workout. No shame man. Your body will adapt - don't worry about it. I do ok now & I'm still setting new PR's every month.

Finally, listen to your body & use common sense.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #17
Tim Morrison

Profile:

I feel Crossfit is meant to be done nothing less than full intensity......but....after running myself into the ground twice a few years ago, I figured what I'd already really already known and that's that even tho the routines average only 20-30 Min, running it for 24 or so out of 30 days every month is a recipe for CNS burnout......its been shown in the black box world of about every high intensity training sports out there.
I recommend you do Crossfit style workouts less frequently and find other forms of training to cycle around it.
my Crossfit #'s improved dramatically when I inserted them in cycles of strength training (untimed), true (alactic) sprint training, and recovery days (low intensity aerobic work and dynamic mobility/yoga)

Last edited by Tim Morrison : 09-09-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #18
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:

Here's my take on it. Crossfit works the mental aspect just as much or more than it does the physical aspect in my opinion. I'm 17/6-1"/205lbs, and my scores are a 12:16 minute Fran, and a 13+1 pu round on cindy, and a 21:42 Helen (haha I suck). I could have done way better, I rested too much (to be fair though, the pullups got me, I'm only hitting in the 14-15 pullup range). Well, I did pull my rib in the first round of helen, but crap happens. So, once I get used to the pain I'll be doing much better, as you will most likely.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:39 AM   #19
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Methinks this is why a lot of folks do a half intensity week each month, and take a week off every 3 months.

I can't talk about what's worked for everyone else. For me, I've been very surprised and pleased by the results from going as hard as I can, resting less within a given MetCon workout than my body thinks it needs, and taking seriously the rep prescriptions in the WODs. For instance, if a WOD prescribes sets of 3, I don't count warmup sets - and work as close as possible to a 3RM. It means that esp. on strength days, I have to keep really aware, even during heavy lifts, of form - which is all to the good.

As yet, no injuries - but very steady improvements both in MetCon and strength ... and as a side effect, in body composition.

t
Old 09-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #20
Steven Bourdage

Profile:

Eevryonm has great advice on this thread. What has worked the best for me is the mental aspect of it. Every cell in my body tells me to rest. It takes every ounce of will power to overcome that and push on.

When you feel like you need to rest, make yourself go.

Whats the old saying?? "Pain is temporary but pride is forever"

try to make every WOD a personal best in one way or another. Whether it be time, weight, reps, etc...

Dont worry too much about others results, just your own