CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
Pablo Mercado

Profile:

In keeping w/ the "What got you kicked out of a gym", & "Wrong personal trainer" threads, what are some of the reasons for quiting a gym for your own reasons?

For me, I had to quit a 24 hr fitness. I had signed up because I had switched jobs & my hours were changed. The only time I would be able to workout was very early a.m. (around 0400). So I joined the 24 hr fitness thinking I would be good to go. Low and behold I go for my first workout and they didn't open until 0500. In signing up I assumed that 24 hr fitness would be open, oh I don't know...24 hrs!! Luckily I was only on a month to month membership.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
lol, 24 hr fitness is open 24 hours, just not in the same day...
Old 02-22-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
Catherine Imes

Profile:
I left Gold's gym because they simply did not have the equipment I wanted..They had a so-so deadlift area. There was not a good place to do any oly lifts, no bumpers, ect. They did let me use my KBs and bring chalk..so it was good in that respect. They also moved which made their location less convenient.

I liked the people and the owner is one of my best friends(I pretty much am guaranteed a free membership). I started acquiring stuff for a home/garage gym, already had a full set of KBs, recently bought a rower, pullup bar,dball, and ordered bumpers. Only thing left is a squat stand. I pretty much do all my stuff at home and I'm enjoying it...I can always play the music I want as loud as I want :-)
Old 02-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
Sam Trevola

Profile:  
I left Powerhouse Gym because people f**king stink, men and women alike. It's like they came to exercise, sweat, and fart. I had enough.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I stopped going to gyms because, well, I never went. Waste of my money. Got Bored. rather not work out than go there, so I didn't.

I much prefer working out at home.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:51 PM   #6
Dave Rounsevelle

Profile:

I used to work out at the Air Force gym. Back then they would close on Holidays, all Federal holidays!! So I joined another gym and they were a good powerlifting gym, but the drive got old. Waiting for equipment was a pain
Some of -if not the beast money- i've ever spent is on gym equipment. Weights and bars are hard to wear out-plus i have carpet covered in tape wherever my bars touch the rack.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Sam,
Any Crossfitter knows that it's not exercise, sweat, and fart. Its how many rounds in 20 minutes of: exercise, sweat, fart
Old 02-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
Clay Jones

Profile:

Got tired of impromptu back workouts gotten from spotting guys when they were benching way too much weght. (but I think I'm good for 3--or 12 . . dude)

But mostly it was the non-productive noise. Crappy radio music blasting, guys shooting the sh*t while hogging the squat rack doing curls, all of that nonsense. I even tried working out in the AM. but some old geezer INSISTED that they play big band oldies on the gym stereo.

Oh, and Joe Stickboy critiquing my deadlift technique. That was the last straw.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
I had my physical for work a couple days ago. The physical therapist put some weights in a milk crate and had me lift the crate to a table at waist level x10 and a table at knee level x10. I used my best deadlift form. At the end of the evaluation he said i did "pretty good". What he wanted me to work on was bending my arms to place the box on the table b/c i was going to hurt something(not sure what)otherwise. i wanted to tell him to call me when he lifted anything heavier than a twinkie, but something about getting fired...bit my tongue
Old 02-22-2006, 06:29 PM   #10
James Falkner

Profile:
I quit golds because even though it was 10 minutes away I found myself never going and rarely using the equipment (this was BC - before crossfit). One thing I miss from golds is the good people watching. My wife and I had given nicknames to some of the regulars and their habits while working out, and it got fun but complex keeping track of who was sleeping with who (staff included), who had the best boob job, etc.