CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-06-2004, 12:52 AM   #1
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Well, Sunday's WOD (040905) completely wrecked me. I took 20 minutes to get through just ONE round of that, and on the walking lunges my right knee gave me so much trouble that I judged it wisest to stop. I doubt that I'd have made an hour of that routine in any case.

I have to say I'm a bit discouraged. I've done 4 WODs so far and I've only completed 2 of them as written. I'm determined to be in the best shape I can be, coming up on 44 in a month, but I'm wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew with this program.

Well, soldier on, and see if I get better before I drop dead.

--Paul
Old 09-06-2004, 02:06 AM   #2
Dave Clarke

Profile:
Nah, don't go getting an ulcer over it, it's normal not to be able to do the WOD as described. There may be someone, but I've heard of no one who could just walk right into the WOD, and not fall into a coma. ;-)

But seriously, toning the intensity down to begin with is a sound plan, and stopping when you get knee pain is wise indeed. Maybe you should get it checked out.

Just my 2c worth.

Welcome to crossfit, by the way!

Dave
Old 09-06-2004, 06:04 AM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Hey Paul - don't be bummed out! Sunday's was pretty intense! I am 42 (43 next month). I started at the end of July. I felt the way you describe. I am still not doing all the WOD's exactly as prescribed to prevent injury and overtraining but I work my butt off just the same. And this is the best part - I am seeing major gains in my strength and endurance and all the skills. Even better, my recovery time between WOD's is decreasing and I am doing more and more of the prescribed version with less substitutions. Give it time and keep on working and in only a few months you will already see major changes.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:10 AM   #4
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Paul, I'm 21 and I do the WOD at 80% volume. And I have built up to that over time! It is my strong belief that I have gotten more out of the WOD by scaling it to my ability than when I tried to go full bore into it.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:50 PM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Paul:

It gets better, honest. Not many people can do the WOD at full-on effort day after day, even if they've been training for some time. Even fewer can do so when they first start. In fact, if you could, you'd either be a genetic freak, or have a pretty fabulous training program of your own to share!

Make whatever adaptations you need to continue. Most of us face a choice of reducing the weight or load used, reducing the number or pace of the reps, or substituting easier moves for the prescribed element.

There's no absolute rule on how to make adaptations, but the following rough consensus seems to have emerged:

1) Never compromise form on any exercise (regardless of your condition). Always (well, almost always) load the bar only to the point where you can execute the move in good form.

2) If you really can't do an exercise, either for lack of strength/skill (muscle-ups for me) or lack of equipment (rope climb), then find the nearest appropriate alternative and go for it (standard recommendations: 5 chinups and 5 dips for each muscle up, towel chinups for rope climb).

3) If you just need to reduce the intensity of the WOD to survive it, then lowering the load enough to complete the prescribed reps or time seems to be slightly preferred over reducing the reps/time at the prescribed load. Your choice here depends a bit on whether you want to emphasize absolute strength (reduce the reps) or metabolic conditioning (reduce the load, complete the reps).

I still don't do the WOD exactly as prescribed on many days (or, more certainly, I don't do 3 on / 1 off . . . more like 2 out of any 4 days, if I'm lucky), and I've been at it for going on two years now. Still, at 49, it's given me the best shape of my life.

Dave
Old 09-06-2004, 03:47 PM   #6
David Werner

Profile:
Paul

There is a critical piece of this that we haven't adequately communicated to you yet. Those workouts are written to be a real challenge to someone with "Olympic Athlete" level fitness.

Of course you can't do them as written! Yet.

Especially after 4 Workouts, you are just beginning to change and the process will take 1-3 years before you are in superb shape. Of course you make progress along the way but you have to be realistic about how long it takes to change your body. Adaptations are being forced at every level: Mental, neurological, cardio-vascular, respiritory, cellular (increased mitochondria among other things), and even genetic (expresion of geneticaly coded protiens is variable and subject to modification through exercise).

Dude! This stuff takes time! So relax and settle in for the long haul - the trip is a lot of fun.

Dave Werner
Crossfit North
Old 09-06-2004, 08:39 PM   #7
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Completed today's 5K. In 54:11. It was more walk than run, really, and part stagger. Even so my shins and ankles have some unkind things to say about me. But I did complete it.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:53 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Paul-

Hang in there! Dave Werner and I started participating in this madness in his garage almost three years ago. He came to it as a SEAL, I came to it as a former california state powerlifting champ and a 6-0 amateur kickboxer. It took me ~8 months to do all the WOD as prescribed. The WOD is now also considerably harder.

This training can be challenging for more than the body. It will pay off. Give yourself time. Listen to your body and go slow. It will happen and you will be nothing short of amazed. Really!

Keep us posted
Robb
Old 09-07-2004, 05:53 AM   #9
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Paul, read this.

And when you have time, read alot of the past posts. There is alot of good stuff there!
Old 09-07-2004, 06:03 AM   #10
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I've decided that the only mediocrity is not doing the WOD at all. Time be damned. The only shame is in not having the courage to begin. Failure be damned.