CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
Patrick Paul

Profile:
had mri yesterday. follow up today. report said tendon torn with 1cm gap between tendon and bone. but dr could not see it in films. he is going to have radiologist in his office read confirm. when feeling for tendon first he said he couldn't feel it, later he thought he did feel it in there or some of it. my confidence in him isn't great. should surgery be done for this type of injury?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Jason Blais

Profile:
I am just now recovering from a Distal Bicep Tendon Rupture. Surgery was done 9 JAN 07. All of the reading and research I did on the surgery confirmed that for an active person surgery is the better option.

let me know if you need more information.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
Patrick Paul

Profile:
thanks jason,
i was told now that i have a partial tear down to the distal tuberosity but it is not separated so 70-60% chance of healing without surgery. so i am going to pass for now on surgery. i hope it heals enough to do chin ups again, this happened on 5.8.07 so i'm going to take my time ,just sling it and take it easy for now. i have a follow up appt for next wed.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
Matt Thomas

Profile:
how did it happen?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
Jason Blais

Profile:
My injury occurred climbing rope. I was on the 7th or 8th rep when I was holding n with just my left hand and I heard a pop followed by a lot of pain. I had hurt it early that week doing pull ups and 3 MFF jumps. I should have rested in a lot more. But the surgery insured I got all the rest I needed. I actually had the elbow/arm immobilized for over 6 weeks in a brace. A tremendous amount of atrophy had occurred. I am just now able to slowly start working out again. I did a MU for the first time last TUE in over months. I think it will heal fully, but time will tell.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Patrick Paul

Profile:
mine happened in a stupid fashion. i was lifting a garden bench, still in the box from lowes into the back of my pickup. i neglected to put the tailgate down and thought i could pitch fork toss it into the truck bed. i bent my knees a little and tried to create some verticle lift to tosser-in-there! only my left arm was under the box my right was over it for stability. as i thrust upward i heard and felt a lot of tearing. no pop. i knew from the pain right away that i did something serious. my bicep stayed flexed when my arm straightened under the load.
i now feel like i have no power in my left bicep, like it has been unplugged from the elec socket so to speak. the box probably weighed close to 100 lbs and i'm over 43, so i guess i was just introduced to my one-arm max lift. happened two weeks ago. painful lesson and i'm totally bummed to be out of crossfit commission. i did it in front of my wife and 13 yo daughter so i had to bite my tongue and act as if i was ok. my wife then drove me to the dr.
LESSON: put the tail gate down when you're old.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
Ken Shitamoto

Profile:
I have a partially torn bicep. I'm leaning towards getting the surgery since I won't be satisfied with the strength loss, and I don't want to risk having more complications when it snaps unexpectedly in the future.

Are there any questions I need to ask my surgeon prior to the operation?

thanks,

Ken
Old 05-29-2007, 06:35 PM   #8
Jason Blais

Profile:
I would definitely ask which technique he will be using. It basically boils down to one incision or two.

I cannot seem to remember the exact names and pros and cons of each...

I did find a lot of info on the web prior to my surgery.

Once again though it boils down to which technique your surgeon knows and is comfortable with. The rehab process for me was very slow, with a lot of time spent in brace. This was extremely uncomfortable, especially at night.

Good Luck
Old 05-29-2007, 06:59 PM   #9
Ken Shitamoto

Profile:
Thanks!

How is the range of motion now? strength? how long has it been?

I see my doc on Monday, and I'll be sure to ask him about the technique and rehab. After my MRI, he gave me two options: aggressive (immediate surgery) and conservative (1 month of rest to see if the strength returned). I opted for the conservative, but I have more intermittent low level pain in the bicep that makes me feel uneasy, and my strength is down by 40%.

thanks for sharing,

Ken

(Message edited by leodegranz on May 29, 2007)
Old 05-30-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
Jason Blais

Profile:
ROM: limited, I actually failed my HALO/SCUBA physical in MAY because I cannot fully extend my injured arm to execute the necessary emergency procedures.

Strength: Estimated at roughly 70%, still cannot do heavy lifts, pull-ups. Side note: Initially after the injury up until about 2-3 weeks ago I experienced severe pain in doing other exercises such as running, squats, rowing, etc..

The limited research I did suggests that the aggresive approach offers the best results for improvement. By conducting the surgery within 2-3 weeks there is a greater chance of full recovery and less oppurtunity for a full tendon retracture. (that is bad)

Hope this helped you out.