CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #1
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Hi all,

I've noticed a few times, usually during very intense workouts, that I'll experience some numbness/tingling in my hands or feet. For instance, on today's Nancy I was getting some numbness in my left hand, seemingly linked to the overhead squats and the pressure of the bar. When I run 5k or 10 I'll often start getting numb in th bottoms of my feet towards the end of the run. That sort of thing.

I've just always chalked it up to "weird CF-related symptoms," which may be valid, but as an EMT nerve deficits are sort of a worrying thing to observe. Anyone had similar experiences or able to shed light?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
Ryan Whipple

Profile:
Two fingers in my right hand went numb after the OHS today, but ~12 hours later all is normal. I figure it's probably not a good thing, but I'm not certain exactly how bad it is either...
Old 05-21-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
Douglas Braun

Profile:
I experienced the same thing in my right hand and as of this morning, the day after, I still have tingling in my right thumb. During the workout, my entire arm actually felt almost disconnected and loose. I'm guessing I'm either cutting off blood flow or pinching a nerve in my shoulder. I'm going to cancel the OHS's for a while and sub with front squats while I work on my flexibility with a broomstick.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
Mike Gray

Profile:
Funny. I have that now and again, too. In fact, I had it after yesterday's WOD in my right pinky. I can still just barely feel it.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
Wayne Nelson

Profile:
The numbness in the thumb and little finger are often from different but similar sources. The nerves originate from the neck, for the most part. They can become entrapped between muscles in the neck or the shoulder. Performing activates in the overhead position can increase the chance of entrapping these nerves if proper posture and stability (esp. scapular/shoulder) are not maintained.

Hypertonic/tight scalenes and pect minor are often the culprit, or overactive upper traps and levator scap. Also, limited upper back mobility can play a role in the problem. Check out my post under "inj & med" under "numbness" for an important test for detecting some sources of these problems. This is the so-called Wall Angel Test and can detect multiple sources of the problem.

Brian has right to be concerned about nerve problems. Often, however, the problems have a functional origin and can be solved functionally.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Injuries/Medical