CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-08-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
Sean Guerrant

Profile:

Hey, all/anyone -
For a few weeks now, I've been having soreness in my right bicep, or to be more accurate, on the inside of my right arm on the bony protrusion from your elbow on the lower inside of your forearm. I think it started after a particularly heinous stretch of WOD's that were very pullup centric. I've started experimenting to narrow down the pain, but it's tough to describe. It feels like a bruise almost on the bone, but for some reason I think it's tendon strain of some kind.
When I do pullups with my grip forward, it hurts the most. It's slightly better with palm facing inward (toward each other), best when I have my palms in traditional chinup position. Also, hurts with my palms forward doing cleans.

Seems to go away as I get into the workout, although I'm unsure if it's stretching out or endorphins pumping. Doesn't feel pulled or bad and my own guess is I just need to give it a few days of rest, but I HATE missing workout days.

Anybody got any idea what it might be?
Thx.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
Rob McBee

Profile:
Ice as often as you can and rest it until the pain goes away. Just what you don't want to hear I'm sure but if you keep aggravating it, it just takes longer to heal. Once it stops hurting, ease back into things gradually and keep icing it. I hurt both my elbow tendons attacking the pullups in the classic too much/too soon mistake. I used, and still use, jumpstretch bands to warmup for pullups.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Hey,

I have the exact same thing... How long does it typically take for this type of thing to get better? Is it ever be possible to work through this or does it always need a break?

(Message edited by kmckay on April 09, 2006)

(Message edited by kmckay on April 09, 2006)
Old 04-10-2006, 05:36 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I sounds like "medial epichondylitis" or golfers elbow. Look up the signs and symptoms on the internet. Or see a good Dr for a real diagnosis.

I had it in the L-arm took about 18mo to really heal, but I did not really rest it just worked around it. I now have it in the R elbow. Both were caused by really working my pullups heavy (I was doing jumping one arm negatives). I am two years into the quest for one armed pullups. Palms facing away is the most low pain way to work my pulls when I am having pain. Rest is best but if you can't help yourself.

1-Long warm-up for the area
2-rub it very firmly with fingertips across painfull area, I think it is referred to as cross-tissue-massage or something like that. I just know it feels better if I do that.
3-Ice after pulling workouts, even if it stopped hurting after warm-up
Old 04-10-2006, 06:27 AM   #5
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Sean, if it hasn't progressed to full scale injury status how bout a conveniently scheduled rest week. Hit up the skill practice stuff, get some Hoover ball going, just some real fun active recovery stuff. Don't think of this week as missed WOD's but a brief step back before launching into it again.

Also keep the stretching and cross tissue massage stuff going.

Good luck bud.

Cheers, kempie
Old 04-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Yep, medial epichondylitis.

I've had it and, responding to an idea from Coach Sommer in regards to treatment for Achilles tendonitis, tried heat treatments. Really the therapy is simply holding the elbow under hot, hot running water for 30-60 seconds at a time. Seemed to help quite a bit. The theory is that it increases blood flow which speeds healing.

So try ice after a workout and heat treatments during the day.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:58 PM   #7
Sean Guerrant

Profile:

Thanks, all. I figured some kind of tendonitis just from other aches I've had over the years. Like someone noted above, I also noticed that rubbing/massaging it seemed to help. I skipped Cindy/Mary and then took the rest day to give me 48 hrs+ off. 10k today will help, as well. I've been popping 2 x 800mg of Vitamin M (that's motrin for non-military people) and iced yesterday. I'll ice and heat again today and see how I feel for tomorrow. Thanks, kempie and Linc.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:54 AM   #8
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Craig, Sean,

instead of using your fingers for massage, use a tennis ball or baseball on a table, laying your arm on it, and pressing it down on the ball with your other arm, using your weight. More pressure and less work for the fingers.

Save your fingers when massaging!

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian
Old 04-11-2006, 07:58 AM   #9
Kevin McKay

Profile:
How hard a massage works best for this? Light or really dig in?
Old 04-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #10
Sean Guerrant

Profile:

Thought I would add this link I found. Thanks to Craig and Lincoln for the diagnosis as I am certain this is what I have. The link was succinct, helpful, and had some practical tips for relief - echoes much of what's already been said (massage and ice and heat). Once again, the CF community does not disappoint.
Here you go. http://www.healthpages.org/AHP/LIBRA...CTD/medepi.htm