CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-06-2005, 09:42 PM   #1
Sean Peters

Profile:
I have bump on the inside of my elbow and it hurts a bunch. I really notice the pain if I touch my ring or pinkie finger(s) to my thumb or attempt to squeeze anything together. I have a sneaking suspicion the one-arm pullups are to blame. Oh yeah, I climb a ton and own a tree buisness (always using hand or chain-saws). Any words of advice would be nice, other than to stop climbing and pruning tree's!
Thanks,
Sean P.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
David Birozy

Profile:
Been there, done that!

See http://www.kerlan-jobe.com/index.php?practiceId=1052&categoryId=2022&dir=cate gor ies&lib=Injury for a decent discussion.

Generally, the "-itis's," need rest, ice, compression and anti-inflamatories. Compression/wraps tends to make mine feel better when lifting.

One of the things that works pretty good for me are Salonpas patches. I'll put some on my elbows, shoulders, back or whatever happens to be ailing me at the time at night, and I find they work great (warning - they stick good. Put them on my calf once - got a free wax job pulling them off. Ouch!) I get mine at Costco for pretty cheap. See the following link for what they are: http://www.salonpas-usa.com/salonpas.html

The bad news about golfers/tennis elbow is that in my experience, they take A LONG time to heal (e.g. 3 to 6 months), and you need to lay off just about everything. I don't mess around on my own too much anymore because I can't (more like don't want to) take this much time off. A trip to the doc and a cortisone shot tends to work pretty good for me and gets me back quick.

Yours sounds pretty far progressed, and with your job, you probably won't be resting it much. My only recommendation in your case is to get to the doctor to hit it hard quickly.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
Sean Peters

Profile:
Yeap, I just read the link---the recovery time is a long one. Going to the doctor tomorrow to check it out. I have gotten cortisone shots before for other injuries (I have had a lot of real good ones...) so I'm weary about injecting even more junk into my body. I'm in rehab. for a foot injury and they use some shocking treatment that seems to be helping, perhaps they would work on the elbow??? Any thoughts or more advice,

Thanks,
Sean Peters
Old 08-09-2005, 01:35 AM   #4
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Check out The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook at http://www.triggerpointbook.com/, or more specifically, http://www.triggerpointbook.com/tennisel.htm.

You can get kind of an online version of the material at http://www.coventrypainclinic.org.uk...troduction.htm (for location and pain patterns of trigger points).

Massaging your trigger points is the #1 thing *you* can do about this.

Basically, feel around in the muscles of your arm, shoulder, and neck for hard, small lumps or pieces of muscle that feel like a rubber cable. If they hurt like hell when you press on them, that's a trigger point. Search for one that elicits the pain you feel at your elbow, and massage it for about a minute with slow, deep strokes in one direction. Aim for a pain level of seven on a scale of one to ten (yes, that hurts a lot). If you hit the right point, effects will be immediate: kind of a "warm and light" feeling around the elbow and diminished pain. Repeat six to twelve times a day, for some days, until pain is gone. Simple. Very simple. BTW, this is what a good massage therapist or physiotherapist will do to you, too.

Good luck!

Christian
Old 08-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
Sean Peters

Profile:
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking for my trigger points even as I type!! I tried the salonpas patches and some of the shock/pulse treatment the last few days, seems to work a little. No pullups or excercises that hurt; handstand pushups seem to make it feel better?

Sean Peters
Old 05-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Ryan Ambrose

Profile:
Re: Elbow pain (golfers elbow??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Peters View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking for my trigger points even as I type!! I tried the salonpas patches and some of the shock/pulse treatment the last few days, seems to work a little. No pullups or excercises that hurt; handstand pushups seem to make it feel better?

Sean Peters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Peters View Post
I have bump on the inside of my elbow and it hurts a bunch. I really notice the pain if I touch my ring or pinkie finger(s) to my thumb or attempt to squeeze anything together. I have a sneaking suspicion the one-arm pullups are to blame. Oh yeah, I climb a ton and own a tree buisness (always using hand or chain-saws). Any words of advice would be nice, other than to stop climbing and pruning tree's!
Thanks,
Sean P.
Any update on this? I am having the same symptoms
Old 05-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #7
Stephen Johnson JR

Profile:

Can u upload a pic? If you use the search button u can find my post with a pic and u can c what it looks like when it flares up can't find link right now. Lots of eccentric wrist curls low weight. I am at 90% after 7 months. NO CORTISONE. It will destroy your tendon.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:20 AM   #8
Stephen Johnson JR

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Johnson JR View Post
Can u upload a pic? If you use the search button u can find my post with a pic and u can c what it looks like when it flares up can't find link right now. Lots of eccentric wrist curls low weight. I am at 90% after 7 months. NO CORTISONE. It will destroy your tendon.
Got it

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...onosis+picture
Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
Ryan Ambrose

Profile:

no bump, just the pain when squeezing my ring finger to my thumb. Im worried if i do the eccentric loading that it will irritate it if its NOT tendonosis. I have done some eccentric work (negative wrist curls) with 7.5lbs which dont hurt, but after if i bend my elbow and press on the medial epicondyle it will be sore like pushing on a bruise thats a few weeks old. eccentric supination with a weight on top of a stick is what hurts a bit.