CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-27-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Joel Chapman

Profile:
I need an new watch and have narrowed it down to either a Timex Ironman Sleek or a Timex Ironman OVA.

My questions to anyone with an OVA: How do you like the way it sits on the side of your wrist? I've searched the archives and it seems to get a thumbs up for use during a workout. But what if I were to also use it as my everyday watch? Should I go with the more traditional Sleek in that case?

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

Joel
Old 07-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Nick Cruz

Profile:
I love my OVA for everyday use. Once I got used to where the face was it quickly became second nature to be able to glance down at my watch while working on the comp without having to pivot my hand. Also in general I have had no problems with where the watch is located. Being able to wear it during workouts is also a big plus.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Joel,
I love the OVA for workout-based activities. I use a more "normal" watch for work.

Basically, I needed the interval timer capability of the OVA--if the Sleek has that, then you might want to go with that (unless you like being nontraditional, then the OVA will get more curious looks/inquiries).

I like both types. The side-wrist position of the OVA does take some getting used to, both in feel and habit (ie. you'll keep turning your wrist to see the clock at first, when you don't need to anymore).
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
Nathanial Neal

Profile:
Joel,

I have both and I prefer the OVA for two reasons.

1. I have yet to hit stop on accident with it verses the sleek.
2. Look at the back of the watches, it is very hard to get the band back on the sleek when changeing a battery. With the OVA it is just screws the band is not in the way.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
David Sailor

Profile:
I love my OVA. It's very comfortable to wear and I haven't accidentallly hit the buttons during a workout. Other watches I've worn always get in the way when the wrist bends and inevitably I hit a button at the wrong time.
I don't wear it much for everday use but I occasionaly do. We just went on vacation and it was the only watch I brought since I wanted to be able to time my workouts while away from home. David
Old 07-28-2007, 02:41 AM   #6
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I prefer the OVA because I've ripped buttons off the Sleek too many times.
The funny thing is that if I wear the OVA during the week, when I put on a 'nicer' stainless-steel analog watch on the weekend...I always look to the side of my hand instead of the face! :doh:
Old 07-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
I wear an OVA for working out and for daily use. I have to cinch it down a little tighter than I would like to keep it on the side of wrist, but that just be a my wrist thing.

Strapped down correctly, and I like the fact that is on the side of my wrist for ease of viewing.

Haven't ripped any buttons or straps off it, yet, which is a huge improvement over my last several 'sport' watches.

Very rarely have I accidentally activated a button I didn't want to activate, although I've occassionally changed the time from Time 1 to Time 2 (it'll keep track of two time zones), which can be confusing.

As for wearing it all the time, I suppose it depends on your job. If you are a suit, you will probably want a nicer watch for work.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
Jacob Egbert

Profile:
OVA most definitely! Its great while in the clinic and I need to check the time. I simply glance down and do not have to do the obvious wrist tilt. And during triathlons it has been amazing! It swims well and I can see the time while riding in aero position.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
Tim Stowe

Profile:
Or neither, depending on your needs. I got a Gymboss Timer (link is worksafe) a while back, and for intervals it can't be beat, IMO. It's not stylish (looks like a kitchen timer) but it works great and is super cheap.

-Tim in