CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
I'm moving into a place with a little backyard. I was thinking about putting a squat rack and some weights back there. Would I need to buy any special outdoor equipment to avoid rust damage, or would a normal squat rack hold up fine against the elements? Can I leave my kettlebell and dumbells outside? I'm in Louisiana, so I'm not worried about cold and snow - just rain. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
I would think that you'd get some serious corrosion going if leaving any kind of unprotected steel or iron outside, including kettlebell and dumbells. You could try painting first, but in my experience, the paint probably won't hold up real well with the way this equipment gets used (banging against each other, etc.) That said, its really nice to work out outdoors, so I'd consider the paint, or some type of cover for your wo area.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
William Henniger

Profile:
I put a pullup station with parallel bars, used all galvanized pipe and 6X6 treated posts. Pretty universal, pullups, dips, wall ball, situps, rings. I wouldn't leave any of the metal equipment out there. You could put some blocks on the 6X6's and use them for a squat rack, I may just have to go try that.

Bill
http://www.roguefitness.com
Old 06-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
For a squat rack:
- Take a pressure-treated 4x4 that's cut to a length near to shoulder height. (I'm 6'1 and used a 5' poke.)
- Cut a groove in the top of it for a bar. (I used a drill to put a 1.25" hole right near the top, then filed it widen it out.)
- Put it in a 5 gallon plastic bucket, and fill it with concrete. (60lbs will come up just short.)
- Water-proof the wood. Repeat for the second part of the rack.

You won't have to worry about it rusting, and either way, it's only about $20.

I have to store my bumper plates outside because of space restrictions, but I think I have them pretty safe. They are sitting on top of a plastic crate, stacked up straight, and then covered by a flipped-over plastic garbage bin (20" diameter). The garbage bin fully covers the plates, but doesn't reach the ground, so air can flow underneath, and the plates won't rust.

I keep my bar inside, but if it had to be outside, I'd slide it into a wide PVC pipe.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
Roger Smith

Profile:
It depends on how much your worried about rust. Given the humidity down there, your probably going to get some, even indoors, unless you run a dehumidifier. Paint can help, but you'll still get some. Personally, I don't mind the rust. I'm guessing it would take a LONG time to make any difference in functional use.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
Skylar Cook

Profile:
You could try spraying it all over with rustoleum, but it still would get nasty after a while. Build a small shed?
Old 06-25-2007, 05:18 AM   #7
Jacob Levin

Profile:
I'm actually building an outside gym right now, complete with climbing courses and homemade kettlebells.

My friend who's engaging in the project with me has been keeping a massive collection of dumbbells outside for years. There's very little rust, and nothing that damages functional use. Still, perhaps invest in a tarp?

Also, I'm in coastal South Carolina. Climate's fairly similar to Louisiana, though not QUITE as hot or humid.

Great ideas about the bumper plates and bar. We're cruising pawn shops for one now, and I've been wondering how to build a squat rack for it.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
Thanks for all the great advice guys!