CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
John Arthur Spear

Profile:
I notice these self-storage type facilities popping up all over the place (especially here in Los Angeles where space is at a premium), and was thinking these might be a good option to set up a home gym in seeing that I don't have the space where I live. I checked out one of these facilities and it looked like a 10x20 or 12x25 sized unit would work nicely (ceilings are 10ft high BTW). The main drawback, I suppose, would be that the facility is only open from 7am-7pm, so I'd only have access at certain times. Otherwise it looked like enough room to set up the essentials and if I get a drive up unit then I could open the roll up door and do 400-800M runs right outside. Anyway, I was curious if anybody else had utilized this option or could think of any other issues that could be problems with a set up like this? Oh yeah, the 10x20 and 12x25 units cost $414 and $453 a month, respectively (not sure if that's a good price). Thanks for the input.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
Stefan Borovina

Profile:
Haha wow i passed by a self storage unit the other day and I had the same idea.

Although I would be using it by myself mostly so it would be too expensive. Great idea in theory however.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Thomas Covington

Profile:
You might want to look around as the only one I ever used was open 5am-10pm. It also had 12' ceilings.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Dennis Barrett

Profile:
Are you within striking distance of a crossfit gym? that seems like a lot of money. If you find one with better hours, you might need power for a light.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
You're looking at around $2 per square foot. See what light industrial space goes for around your area, or try to find another CFer with a garage and use that rent money to buy a lot of cool gear that you'll share usage of in exchange for a garage door opener...

If you do the storage space thing, you won't be able to run any sort of business out of it...
Old 04-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #6
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
John,

If you get down to Long Beach your welcome to get some WOD's here at my place. My garage is set up pretty well. If I was you I would check Petranek Fitness in Santa Monica, sounds like a great place up there. Or, CrossFit Long Beach, that's where I started and I can confirm it being a great place.

Good luck!

Bryan
Old 04-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
John Arthur Spear

Profile:
Thanks for the suggestions/comments everybody. I actually have visited Petranek Fitness a couple of times, and have enjoyed the visits (and gotten great workouts). However, I live in Hermosa Beach and the drive up to Santa Monica (in LA traffic) just doesn't seem feasible for me on a regular basis. Bryan, coming down to Long Beach may be the same issue, although I may take up the offer to at least come down and look at your setup if not grab a workout!
To clarify my situation, I'm stationed here in the Air Force and have free access to the base gym, but it's set up like a typical big-box gym. I've been CFing for about a year now and can do most of the WODs with this gym set-up, but I am just looking for a place to do the WOD in peace and "by my own rules", if you know what I mean (which if you've worked out in a big box, I figure you do).:-) Bottom line, working out at an affiliate may be an option but I just don't know how to utilize them properly for what I'm looking to do (I can explain that further if people have specific questions).
Old 04-21-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Roger Smith

Profile:
Wow...that rent is HIGH!! Around here a 10X20 is $80 to $100 a month.... Don't know what to suggest, I'd guess garages rent for even more out there?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #9
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
John,

I understand where your at. I go 3 on 1 off and I usually get mine in between 4 and 7 pm depending on what the job throws at me. Once I pick up my kettle bells on Tuesday, I will have everything to get the CF WOD's in. Good luck, have fun, and if you want to come down shoot me a PM.

Bryan
Old 04-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #10
Evan Fitts

Profile:
John,

Many self storage leases have provisions explicitly disallowing this type of activity. You may want to read the lease thoroughly before making this decision. Also, even if the people who work there say it would be an acceptable use of the premises, still be very careful on paying attention to the written documents.