CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Garrett Smith

Profile:
So, I saw this offer on Tucson's Craigslist: http://tucson.craigslist.org/spo/318010147.html w/f safe

$350 for (non-rubber-coated) hex DBs from 3 pounders all the way to 70 pounders. 832# in all, plus the rack.

I called Play It Again Sports to see what the price on their new hex DBs was--59 cents a pound for regular, $1 a pound for rubber coated (the ones that stink). Total new would be around $490 for the dumbbells if I bought them new, plus what I'm guessing would be ~$100 for the rack new. So about $600 for all that stuff new.

I'm thinking $350 is a good deal for that stuff, nearly 50% off of new. I'll likely offer $300.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 04-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Bill Russell

Profile:
This is probably all stuff you already know, but I thought I'd share my thoughts.

I buy and sell a lot of used equipment. I would not negotiate specific prices via email, it's annoying. Ask the person if he is flexible if you buy everything today. If yes, don't make an offer. Go meet face to face with cash in hand.

I would decide on the price you want to pay and take it in 50 dollar bills. If the person tries to negotiate for more money, give up a few of lighter pairs of weights (or what ever pair(s) you don't care about) as a trade off, instead of paying more.

From my experience, five fifty dollar bills look more enticing than a wad of tens and twenties totalling the same amount. Why, I don't know. It works the same with hundreds if you are buying in a higher price range.

FYI-25 cents a pound is the going rate for buying used weights in my market.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Cool, thanks Bill!

I don't really know what I'd do with the 3, 5, & 8 pounders, so your suggestion will be a big help.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Hey Garrett--check on Craigslist Phoenix for the last few days. There's been a couple of sets for sale.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Thanks Ken. I've started keeping close tabs on the Phoenix Craigslist as well...I'm hoping to pick up two squat racks from a football coach this weekend...or should I say, my brother and his pickup will be picking them up...