CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
Arden Cogar Jr.
Member Arden Cogar Jr. is offline
 
Arden Cogar Jr.'s Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charleston  WV
Posts: 950
buidling my platform this week :-D

She's gonna be a ghetto beauty. I'm making it a little on the large side because I want to put my york power cage on top of it.

The cage is basicaly 4x4, and I'm going to build the platform 12x8 and put the cage on the back portion of the platform.

I'm going to go with three sheets horizontal as first level - two sheets vertical (with a 2" overlap onto third horizontal sheet) and one horizontal for the second level. Then a nice piece of somethingerother as the main lifting area and a 4x4 of it contained in the cage. Then two stall mats sliced down the middle to cover the exposed 2'x12" on the side.

Probably going to go with 3/4" plywood for the two underlying levels - or should I go with 5/8s?

Then what should I use for the top interior level? I'm a bit curious on that one. I've searched it, but I really couldn't find the right answer to this question.

She's going to be the parthanon of platforms. I'm certain my wife will want to strike me down once it's complete. However, I'll likely need her assistance to get that York power cage on the platform when we're done. Darn thing must weight 500 pounds.

Thanks in advance for any advice those in the know may have.

All the best,
Arden
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Jay Cohen
Member Jay Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sharpsville  PA
Posts: 3,384
Re: buidling my platform this week :-D

I'm sure you've seen this link on goheavy, thought it was pretty sweet:

http://goheavy.com/forums/olympic/index.cgi/read/86968

W/F/S
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Arden Cogar Jr.
Member Arden Cogar Jr. is offline
 
Arden Cogar Jr.'s Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charleston  WV
Posts: 950
Re: buidling my platform this week :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
I'm sure you've seen this link on goheavy, thought it was pretty sweet:

http://goheavy.com/forums/olympic/index.cgi/read/86968

W/F/S
Yep, it is really sweet.

Would be easy, but I, being the one that wants to make my cage part of my platform (I think Eugene Allen did that too) has to complicate the simplistic.

All the best,
Arden
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
Leonid Soubbotine
Affiliate Leonid Soubbotine is offline
 
Leonid Soubbotine's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longwood  Fl
Posts: 1,586
Re: buidling my platform this week :-D

That's how I got mine. About 11x8 (had to chop off about a foot.)

1/2 inch for the bottom layers and 3/4 on top. Stained the top layer with something - almost a year later - still looks really good!
__________________
CrossFit Evolution
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.
Member Arden Cogar Jr. is offline
 
Arden Cogar Jr.'s Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charleston  WV
Posts: 950
Re: buidling my platform this week :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
That's how I got mine. About 11x8 (had to chop off about a foot.)

1/2 inch for the bottom layers and 3/4 on top. Stained the top layer with something - almost a year later - still looks really good!
Thanks Leonid. Sounds a like a plan.

All the best,
Arden
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Michael Leach
Member Michael Leach is offline
 
Michael Leach's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cape Coral  FL
Posts: 446
Re: buidling my platform this week :-D

i built a platform a few months back. it started off 8x8 and then i got a power rack and soon thereafter extended it to 12x8. i used 3/4" plywood, it's 3 layers thick, and rubber mats on the sides. im happy with it. there's some pics here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/michael....MiscGaragePics
[ link w/f/s ]

its a PITA trying to even budge it afterwards, so i'd make absolutely sure thats where you want it. i kinda wish mine was over a few more inches to the one side. oh well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
Arden Cogar Jr.
Member Arden Cogar Jr. is offline
 
Arden Cogar Jr.'s Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charleston  WV
Posts: 950
Re: buidling my platform this week :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Leach View Post
i built a platform a few months back. it started off 8x8 and then i got a power rack and soon thereafter extended it to 12x8. i used 3/4" plywood, it's 3 layers thick, and rubber mats on the sides. im happy with it. there's some pics here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/michael....MiscGaragePics
[ link w/f/s ]

its a PITA trying to even budge it afterwards, so i'd make absolutely sure thats where you want it. i kinda wish mine was over a few more inches to the one side. oh well.

Micheal,
Would you advise for me to build the platform with a 12' centerpiece and 12'x2' stall mats on the side and put he cage on one end or enclose it like you have in your pictures and put the stall mat in the cage itself?

Nice work. You have an awesome facility.

All the best,
Arden
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
Michael Leach
Member Michael Leach is offline
 
Michael Leach's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cape Coral  FL
Posts: 446
Re: buidling my platform this week :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
Micheal,
Would you advise for me to build the platform with a 12' centerpiece and 12'x2' stall mats on the side and put he cage on one end or enclose it like you have in your pictures and put the stall mat in the cage itself?

Nice work. You have an awesome facility.

All the best,
Arden
You could do it either way. When I added on the extra 4', I just used a 4'x6' stall mat for the top as I was in a hurry and didn't want to deal with sanding/staining/finishing another piece of plywood.

Since those pictures were taken, I've cut a piece of plywood to 'level out' that missing 1'x4' section on each side of the power rack and built a rack on each side to hold my bumper plates.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #9
Leonid Soubbotine
Affiliate Leonid Soubbotine is offline
 
Leonid Soubbotine's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longwood  Fl
Posts: 1,586
Re: buidling my platform this week :-D

Arden - it'll look much better as 8x12 with cage on top. Plus if you'll want the cage off the platform - area will be a whole piece, not a bunch of holes in one spot

Moving the platform is actually no problem (just takes up a few minutes) - unsecrew everything, move piece by piece, screw back together.
I didn't glue anything together.
__________________
CrossFit Evolution
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
Arden Cogar Jr.
Member Arden Cogar Jr. is offline
 
Arden Cogar Jr.'s Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charleston  WV
Posts: 950
Re: buidling my platform this week :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Leach View Post
You could do it either way. When I added on the extra 4', I just used a 4'x6' stall mat for the top as I was in a hurry and didn't want to deal with sanding/staining/finishing another piece of plywood.

Since those pictures were taken, I've cut a piece of plywood to 'level out' that missing 1'x4' section on each side of the power rack and built a rack on each side to hold my bumper plates.
It's strange you mention the rack for the bumper plates. Printed that thread off after I started this thread. Showed the misses.....she wasn't as impressed as I thought she'd be. Had I offered to take a half day off work to re-wall paper on of our upstairs bedrooms, perhaps she'd be singing a different tune?

What sort of varnish or stain should I use on the board that's the platform?

All the best,
Arden
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Week 1 Butter cup....Week 2 better be ready Evan Gray Starting 3 08-14-2007 08:38 PM
How to make a platform? Justin Krick Equipment 7 07-06-2007 02:54 PM
Platform Rubber Jan Szyndler Equipment 3 09-07-2006 11:54 AM
Platform alternative Jason Billows Equipment 7 04-13-2006 01:14 PM
Lifting platform necessary? Dan Koloski Equipment 2 12-16-2005 06:58 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.