CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-16-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
Jacob Rowell

Profile:
I have seen plenty of tutorials to make homemade rings, yet I haven't seen a particularly good suggestion on where to get the straps. I have been using some home depot straps, which I knew were not the safest bet. Sadly, those just broke, and they were really not meant to hold up weight. I was looking around mcmaster-carr, and they have some straps that might work, but by the time I bought them and made my rings, I could have gotten professional rings for just a little more. Any suggestions?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Jacob,

You could try a climbing store, Dicks Sporting Goods, or Sports Authority. They usually care heavy duty webbing in various widths that is made for camping or climbing.

Dan
Old 02-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
Bill Russell

Profile:
Jacob,

I have a set from Home Depot and they are very strong. I stayed away from the less expensive straps that had plastic clamps/buckles, the ones that had 4 straps for about ten bucks. I bought the heavier duty straps with metal buckles, a package of 2 were about $18.00.

These are as strong as what I got with my Power Rings from Tyler.

I kept my receipt so I can get you a Home Depot product/SKU number if you need it.

Bill Russell
Old 02-16-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
Jim Biancolo

Profile:
I had a good experience ordering from NRS (work/family safe):

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1188
Old 02-16-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
Lewis Dunn

Profile:
Strapworks.com has every kind of strap you can imagine. My first set of straps for my homemade rings came from them (lookup their "metal cam straps") and they arrived right away. I have since found exactly the same thing at a local military surplus store. Might want to check there if you have one nearby.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Hey guys,
Quick related question. I'm new this concept, so please pardon my ignorance. I plan on putting a trapeze pullup bar amongst other things in my home gym and are the NRS 1" loop straps what I need?

I got some rings from Gil, but it looks as though the straps are wicked short. What could I use to lengthen them or make it to where I can do pushups, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Arden
Old 02-16-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
And "Loop Straps" from www.strapworks.com - work and family safe. Just curious, I'm learning.

All the best,
Arden
Old 02-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
Roger Smith

Profile:
I got straps from walmart, in the auto department. Though anywhere that sells straps would work.

For lengthening them, you could use the same straps, or the loops. Just plain rope and chain would also work. Personally for lengthening, I like to use a canabiner and hook into chain. It's easy to adjust the height, and you can mark, or count links to get a certain height for different moves or probably even different size people.

Another thing I did with my homemade rings was to run parachute cord threw them and the length of the run for upside down stuff. THis is in addition to the strap running threw. A bit of overkill perhaps, but I'm a bit paranoid....

(Message edited by rogersmith on February 16, 2007)
Old 02-16-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
Steve Quinn

Profile:
I have to second NRS. The straps holding up my rings are 12' cam straps from NRS. There are 18 years old and have tied my kayak to my truck hundreds of times.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #10
Jason Ruggieri

Profile:
My rings are the electrical conduit variety.

That said, I bought these from REI (work/home/family safe).

They're heavy duty 1" webbing tie down straps. The steel buckle has the little teeth that only allow the webbing to slip or cinch one direction (like a jumars ascender if you know climbing equipment).

When I mounted my pull-up bar from the ceiling of my garage, I built in a cross piece that only had 1.5" stanchions for the purpose of installing rings at a later date. So my bar roughly looks like this (work/home/family safe). This is not my bar, but an image another crossfitter posted, and I subsequently copied. :-)

To attach the straps, I used two of these runners (work/home/family safe) to the smaller bar using girth hitches. To each runner I connected a locking carabiner.

Now for the straps... I basically cut the strap about 4" above the point where the buckle is sewn in... so the strap loops through the buckle, it is then sewn with a box stitch, and I cut 4" above the end of the box stitch.

I looped this length around a carabiner, and sewed it together using a double box stitch (the same way the buckle is attached from the factory, only I doubled the length of fabric that is sewn together for added safety).

With the remaining webbing, I fed a loose end through the conduit, and back to the main length of webbing where I sewed it together again using a double box stitch and heavy duty thread.

Now I was able to just feed the other end of the webbing through the buckle and voila! As soon as you put weight on it, the teeth bite, and all is well. If I want to adjust the height of the "rings" I can just push the tab on the buckle, releasing the teeth, and slide the webbing through to the desired length.

I realize there's a lot of sewing in this design, but I confident that it is strong. This method of sewing webbing together is what existed on the straps from the factory, where the buckle was attached, and they're rated to 1400 lbs.

That said, I probably wont be inverting myself on this set up too much, with that concrete garage floor lurking beneath me.

If this is all very hard to visualize, let me know and I can take some pictures for you.