CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-10-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
Kieran Hartnett

Profile:
This is perhaps a dumb question but I couldn't find much in the FAQ about workout frequency, particularly for beginners like myself who are very heavy and not that fit.

Should I really try 3-1 or 5-2? Or am I better off starting out with maybe just 3 days a week? Ideally I would like to fit in a regular Wednesday session (CF London meets then) and a Saturday session with a CF trainer and a few friends.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Kieran, lock in the sessions that you want to and just add sessions on top that do not exceed your ability to recover. In the beginning this may be just committing to the CrossFit warm-up, scaled to your ability , everyday. If you bounce back from that OK then add another WOD and see how you get on etc, etc.

Also, chat over this with Andrew as he will be able to see first hand what you are capable of.

Cheers, kempie
Old 07-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:
Kieren, in my opinion the best approach is one you can stick with. While 3-1 (21 workouts in 28 days) is the ideal and 5-2 (20 in 28) seems to be a common alternative, if you can't stick to either than they aren't for you. I do Sun-Mon-Tues workouts, then Thurs-Fri, with Monday as a heavy full-body weight workout and the other four as WODs as I can fit them in. That seems to work fine for me with my work schedule, training schedule, and gym schedule. I'm doing slightly less WODs (16 in 28 days) so I try to keep up and just take a miss on a few WODs here and there. That lets me keep up all the training I can manage and get good rest days.

The suggestion to talk to a certified crossfit trainer is a good one. But ultimately you're the one who needs to do the exercise so find a schedule that you can stick too.

Good luck with your workouts.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Kieran,

Welcome to the party!

Ditto to what everyone else said. Also, referencing your weight comment, remember that if your calories burned is greater than your calories consumed, a person tends to lose weight. There are exceptions (gaining muscle mass), but that's a general rule of thumb. If you find that you are tired enough to not do a WoD but awake enough to do SOMETHING, try walking for an hour or so. Or maybe jogging. Just my two cents. :-)
Old 07-11-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:
I personally love 5 on 2 off. It allows me to do whatever I want on the weekend without having to workout (although I do love working out regardless).

What Chris said is correct though. At the start you may be sufficiently taxed even by just the warmup. In this case, you would just do the warmup until you can complete it with relative ease. Then move on to doing scaled workouts (BrandX is good). Then it's just a matter of time of bumping up the intensity by working your weights up to normal.