CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
With the competitive speedskating season starting up about a month from now, after running into issues last season, I find myself in need of a good plan for eating during the Saturday/Sunday of competition, so I don't get worn out by the end of the day (or the end of the weekend).

Basically a typical weekend looks like this:
Saturday:
- Arrive and warmup off ice (15-30 minute warmup typically). Maybe 15-60 minutes rest available.
- On-ice warmup (10-30 minutes, usually 10-15) somewhat light, but also throwing in some sprint/max speed, and starts (which are all explosive power). Break for anywhere from 10-75 minutes, depending on when my first race is up in the schedule.
- First race, typically a 1500m heat, which usually runs about 2:30 up to 2:45 of mostly intense work. Break about 45-90 minutes.
- Second race, usually a 1500m final, same work as before. Break for lunch, usually 60-120 minutes.
- Third race, usually a 500m heat, basically a full out sprint for about 45-55 seconds, depending how fast I am this year. Break for 45-90 minutes.
- Fourth race, usually a 500m final, same as before. End of the day. Sometimes there will be a relay or special event at the end of Saturday, but not always.

Sunday:
- First race, usually a 1000m heat, about 1:35-1:45 worth of near-sprint effort. Break 45-90 minutes.
- Second race, usually a 1000m final, same as before. Break 10-90 minutes (depending on the schedule).
- Third race, usually a 3000m super final, about 5-6 minutes that starts out slow, with nobody wanting to pull the pack while everyone else drafts off their effort, and slowly builds speed, ending in a sprint.
- Occasionally they will also have a special race (sometimes a 3000m, sometimes a relay, whatever).

Occasionally it ends up being a one-day meet (all day Saturday maybe), and so we have all those same races in the day with 30-45 minutes break inbetween, and maybe 45-75 minutes for lunch. Or at a big meet, we can have a heat, semi final, and final for each of the 1500, 500, and 1000m.

Basically, the reason I go over this all in detail is to try to figure out what to bring/prepare in advance. Obviously I'm not going to be wolfing down a 1/4 lb hamburger in the middle of the day, lest I want it to sit in my tummy after lunch and make an appearance on the ice. But I do know that I need adequate protein, carb, and fat intake throughout the whole day, and I also don't want to have that grumbling/completely empty stomach feeling (not that I want it very full either)...

Right now I eat eyeball zone, with some breads, pastas, and starches. Although I try to avoid them as much as I can, we don't have a ton of money to buy vegetables for a daily basis, and limited access to fruits for the same reason.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
So, is there a question here? You seem to be set in your ways with a pretty clear picture of what works for you. You knock the Zone, don't mention Paleo, hence, why ask for advice?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I what? Where did I knock the zone? That's basically what I eat.

And sorry, in my rush I forgot to ask the question "What should I eat during the two days of competition?" I thought it was covered by the line "I find myself in need of a good plan for eating during the Saturday/Sunday of competition, so I don't get worn out by the end of the day (or the end of the weekend)."
Old 08-07-2007, 04:01 AM   #4
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Hi Matt

When you have long breaks between races you should have enough time to eat real food and not gels and sports drinks. I would look to refuel straight after a race. You then have about 90 minutes to digest. maybe pasta/sweet potato with a little protein tuna or chicken.

When you have less time between races then maybe chug a isotonic drink or even try chocolate milk for a little protein.

You want to have food that easy transportable and easily digestible. I used to eat lots of dried fruit and nuts at fencing comps but noticed it gave me some GI discomfort.

I now have a solid breakfast with a good deal of protein. Something I eat regularly and know will sit well in my stomach.

I then snack on bananas in the morning. Have a zoneish lunch. Then later stages are more bananas and chocolate milk and maybe if the days drags on sports drinks. Also lots of water and a few coffees.

Hope that helps a little.

Use the early part of your season to find an eating regime that suits you. Don't go too simple carb crazy but make sure your keeping the glycogen levels ups
Old 08-07-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
Erik Reckdenwald

Profile:
Loren Cordain's book "The Paleo Diet for Athletes" covers eating for competition in detail. He explains what types of food and why as well as timing. It's worth a read and should more than cover your questions.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Thanks guys, gives me some good ideas.

Typically I can eat a small meal of real food (dinner) about an hour before I go on the ice, and be ok. But then again, last night I had chicken and rice pilaf (I try to eat some extra "simple" carbs before practices) at about 6:45, got on the ice at 8:00, and some of our harder portions were just brutal, brushed up against the leg of pukie after one of them even.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:44 AM   #7
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Off topic matt are congratulations in order? Is the fetus now a baby? Or is a confused father to be just misreading your avatars.

Back on topic. Coach Gordo has some good stuff at http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/index.html w/f safe.

Ger
Old 08-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Yes thanks :-) Well actually, that's a picture of our now 3 1/2 year old daughter. But yes, even back when she came into existence at the moment of conception, yeah, she was a baby back then. A baby human being, just wouldn't make an appearance for 9 months.

Now, no offense, but if someone else wants to call their unborn baby human being a "fetus" during one stage of development to disguise the fact that it's a human being so they can feel better about chopping it to pieces and murdering it... well... I'll stop now, before I go into politics.

And thanks for the link, it looks like some good stuff I'll have to look into in more detail.

(Message edited by Matt_DeMinico on August 08, 2007)