CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-03-2011, 04:10 AM   #121
Gravel Brown

Profile:
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisha Richardson View Post
Hi All -

Sorry for the delayed message. Went out of town and have been sick. So...I got my results from my MRI and NO TEAR!! A tiny bone spur and tendonitis and bursitis. He gave me a 6week prescription for Physical Therapy 2/week so I am going to start next week. Also, he gave me a steroid shot. I'm just happy we did all the right testing up front to ensure it was not a tear. But I sure have learned a lot:

-I don't need to be a superstar in Crossfit
-Only person I need to work out for is myself
-Rolling out is not a cure-all to rest. You gotta do both.

I am going to have some of the strongest shoulders now. Hahaha!! But still, no more kipping. I'm hanging up my gloves with that. I am going to do some conventional weightlifting and running during my PT phase, then move back into CF until my shoulder is healed up.

Wishing all fast healing!

Alisha
Fantastic news Alisha... must be a huge relief. Great to see that you have set some goals for yourself and even better to hear that youve dropped the kipping... evil exercise that kipping caper!!

Michael and Mikael... sounds like you guys are coming along well. I know what you mean with the external rotation being super tight. Im approaching 4 months and my external rotation is still close to nil.

My PT said that is one of the most difficult things to get back and sometimes it does not come back at all. The reason being that was the main thing that the surgery is designed to tighten up and restrict. If i tuck my elbow right in against my hip i can barely move my arm externally at all... its super super tight.

Keep posting... ill throw up my 4 month report in the next few weeks.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #122
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Brown View Post
Fantastic news Alisha... must be a huge relief. Great to see that you have set some goals for yourself and even better to hear that youve dropped the kipping... evil exercise that kipping caper!!

Michael and Mikael... sounds like you guys are coming along well. I know what you mean with the external rotation being super tight. Im approaching 4 months and my external rotation is still close to nil.

My PT said that is one of the most difficult things to get back and sometimes it does not come back at all. The reason being that was the main thing that the surgery is designed to tighten up and restrict. If i tuck my elbow right in against my hip i can barely move my arm externally at all... its super super tight.

Keep posting... ill throw up my 4 month report in the next few weeks.

We've been working hard on my rotation, my surgeon wants' 60degrees by week 6 post op. I'm at 51 right now. That's with a lot of heat, lots of at home work and lots of screaming at PT.

Last night I decided to jettison the sling at like 3am. I'm able to sleep on my left side (surgery on right) and still hug a pillow with my right comfortably. This makes for much better sleeping. I still wake up everytime I move but I noticed my arm and rotation where much better this morning. I think locking my arm internally rotated for 8 hours is not helping things.

I have a follow up with my surgeon next week.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #123
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Congrats Alisha. Sadly my visit to the Consultant's this morning was not so positive. I'm still getting my head round what he said, so here's the short version:

- The PASTA lesion that he identified with an earlier ultra-sound didn't show up on the MRI.
- I have a 1.5cm tear of the labrum at the bicep tendon (SLAP tear).
- And there's a small Inferior Glenohumeral Ligament (IGHL) tear.

Apparently I'm too old (at 39!) to do a normal anchor and suture SLAP tear repair so he wants to do a bicep tenodesis (wfs) instead, which is where they cut off the bicep tendon and anchor it to the humerus instead, but this is unlikely to return me to full capacity and carries significant risks of complications, like frozen shoulder.

Full details along with my options on my blog here: http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/201...oulder-labrum/ (wfs)
Old 10-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #124
Alisha Richardson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McNulty View Post
Congrats Alisha. Sadly my visit to the Consultant's this morning was not so positive. I'm still getting my head round what he said, so here's the short version:

- The PASTA lesion that he identified with an earlier ultra-sound didn't show up on the MRI.
- I have a 1.5cm tear of the labrum at the bicep tendon (SLAP tear).
- And there's a small Inferior Glenohumeral Ligament (IGHL) tear.

Apparently I'm too old (at 39!) to do a normal anchor and suture SLAP tear repair so he wants to do a bicep tenodesis (wfs) instead, which is where they cut off the bicep tendon and anchor it to the humerus instead, but this is unlikely to return me to full capacity and carries significant risks of complications, like frozen shoulder.

Full details along with my options on my blog here: http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/201...oulder-labrum/ (wfs)
First, thank you all. I am relieved to have no surgery, but I still feel pain in my shoulder and down my arm so it does not seem like the steroids helped completely. I start PT on Thursday so we'll see how that goes. Gotta get this shoulder STRONG!

Gravel - Looking forward to hearing your 4 month report!! I'm expecting to hear tons and tons of good news!! And yes, no more Super Woman kipping. I'm sticking to Grandma Pull-Ups. Hahaah...jk! I'm sure there are some Grandma's out there that would kick by butt in the gym anyday

Michael Dries - Happy to hear you were able to ditch the sling while you sleep. That's got be awkward. Are you pain free when you wake up?

Colin - Amigo...so sorry to hear about your results. But I can say for certain that you are strong. You were (and still are) making awesome progress on your own with your strength training. What did the doc say about that? Did you tell him that age is only a number Anyway you can get a second opinion. 39 is not old.

I talk to you all soon. Stay healthy my friends
Old 10-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #125
Michael Dries

Profile:

Colin, that's rough man. It's a shame your not here in NY with me, I have an amazing surgeon who'd probably have a thing or two to say about being "too old" or a scope procedure.

Alisha- Yes, although the doctor hasn't given me the go ahead yet (I see him for a 6 week post op on Monday the 10th) but external rotation and overall stiffness was significantly reduced this morning. Yes, sleeping with the sling is a PITA.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #126
Jay Taylor

Profile:

I met with the anesthesiologist. She said that I am getting the nerve block. Should I ask if I can do it without?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #127
Michael Dries

Profile:

Not sure why wouldn't want it done. I had it done and it made the first day not a big deal at all. Pain the following days was manageable with meds and I was med free in 3 days.

I believe there are some risks associated with a nerve block though. I would discuss with your drs.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #128
Brian Sanford

Profile:

Hello all. New to the forums and have been lurking for a bit. The information is awesome.

This thread has been amazing for me to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

To start the story... I played baseball all growing up and in high school and college. I had arm pains, but wrote it off as just soreness. Tylenol and biofreeze were my friends for several years. Went through physical therapy that was standard in college and stuff.

Baseball career ended, so I started playing tournament softball. The past 2 years, my shoulder/arm has gotten progressively worse. It is getting to a point where I cannot deal with it. Went to the ortho doc that repaired my torn achilles.

My symptoms are:
Awful pain from shoulder to elbow. 12 on a scale from 1-10.
Burning sensation in shoulder
Sharp pains throughout the day
Range of motion is horrible
Loss of strength big time. Cant hold a gallon of milk without shaking.
One hard throw and fingers tingle and become numb
Extreme bicep pain as well as a little bruising in bicep after physical activity.
Cant raise arm after physical activity.

Went in to the doctor and they did XRay's and he set me up for an Arthrogram MRI. He did some ROM exercises and looked at me and said, you have a torn labrum most likely.

How am I supposed to stay positive pretty much knowing that even before my MRI is done? Does it sound like a labrum tear/rotator cuff tear or whatever else?

Anyone that has had prior injuries like this, please help!

Thanks all and sorry for the long story.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #129
Michael Bailey

Profile:

Been a bit since I posted here and it seems like a lot of newcomers have joined, that's good yet obviously bad since you all are hurt or post op. Either way, I won't rehash my ordeal, you can read about it or some of it earlier on this thread. I am almost 7 months post op and am here to spread some positive news....as previously stated I am on the slow track for recovery but as of today, I am doing real push ups, dead lifts (135), real pull ups with a red and green band, shoulder press (45lb barbell), and yesterday....tadaaa...my first handstand hold against the wall for 5 seconds.

My shoulder had gotten to the point where I don't think about it during normal daily use and my ROM is almost back to normal ( I actually have good ROM, I just lack in shoulder flexability when it comes to lying on my back with my hands under my butt, my bad shoulder comes up off the ground and can't be stretched back to the ground by a partner).

I am keeping in line with my PT regimen when it comes to shoulder involved exercise in that I do 3 sets of 15 and work up to 3 sets of 20 before increasing weight or decreasing the type of band assistance. For pushups, I just do a total number in as many sets as necessary to reach. Right now I am at 75 in 4 sets. I must admit I am a little gun shy when it gets hard because I am waiting for the shoulder to give out. I am going to start incorporating hanging for time from the pullup bar (2o or 30 sec sets), wall balls for reps and sets and TGU's with light weight...no snatches, cleans, heavy liftting, kipping or ring dips....those are planed from my one year anniversary.

Just figured I'd give you guys an update and hopefully give you all some light at the end of the tunnel. Its like two steps forward and one step back but I keep telling myself...slow and steady wins the race...
Old 10-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #130
Jay Taylor

Profile:

My surgery is scheduled for Monday at 9:30am at NYU's Hospital for joint Disease. Will update this thread after.