CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #101
Colin McNulty

Profile:
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Good luck with your surgery Rob.

Gravel you're right to bring up those who have recovered well, as they are the kind of people who are unlikely to come to post on an injury forum. Yesterday for example I watched a guy doing 100kg+ jerks off jerk boxes... he had a supraspinatus rotator cuff repair only 3-4 months ago! As with any demographic slice, it's the vocal minority you hear more from.

My own story progresses, I've finally had a date through for my follow up appointment and I see my consultant a week on Monday for my MRI+dye (WFS) results, only 2 months after my MRI... the consultant's secretary has been off on compassionate leave and it seems the NHS couldn't cope with that!

The irony is, my shoulder is the best it's been in 6 months. I hardly ever get pain, I sleep fine, and I've started increasing the types of exercises I do, e.g. I've started to add push ups and burpees back into my workouts.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:11 AM   #102
Gravel Brown

Profile:

All the best for Thursday Rob. The Bankart Repair was one of the many things that was done in my surgery. Let us know how it goes.

Colin youre right mate, you always tend to hear the worst stories on forums as opposed to those who have success with surgeries. One of the guys i was referring to prior who had a full shoulder reconstruction actually says that his repaired shoulder feels stronger now that it has ever been. He benches 120kgs with no issues at all.

Of all the people i know who have had shoulder ops (6) they all say that the one exercise that still scares them a bit or gives them grief is chinups. Everything else is fine but they all say the same thing about chinups with the full weight of the body loaded on the shoulder joint it causes them either discomfort or 'mental anxiety'.

You must be a tad frustrated having to wait this long for your MRI results? At least youll know soon what they issue is though guess. Hopefully the fact that your shoulder feels better now is a positive sign that no tears will show up... fingers crossed.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #103
Jared Paiva

Profile:

Hey Colin,

Flip pal, 2 months is long! My doc called me an hour after my MRI was done and he had received report from radiologist or whatever they called. And they say things are slow here in South Africa haha!

Glad you on your way to recovery! Keep it up!

Gravel,

I've never really been one to bench that much hey, most I've ever done is 100Kgs and that wasnt often. When I used to bench it was mostly my body weight and maybe a few kgs over. I just want to be able to bench again and do pull ups. Honestly though, the pull ups will scare the crap out of me! I am going to have this fear of re-tearing!

I havent trained properly for over a year now, so whats a another 6-8 months of recovery and re-hab I suppose.

I see this thread is rated 5 stars! nice one!

Cheers lads!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #104
Mikael Kornihkov

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Brown View Post
Of all the people i know who have had shoulder ops (6) they all say that the one exercise that still scares them a bit or gives them grief is chinups. Everything else is fine but they all say the same thing about chinups with the full weight of the body loaded on the shoulder joint it causes them either discomfort or 'mental anxiety'.
As soon as I found out about my SLAP tear my mind subconsciously shut down the use of my injured arm, so chinups (or any arm exercise for that matter) were not even considered in my WODs. I can't say for sure that I'll be able to muster the courage to ever do another chinup again, seeing as kipping pullups were the root cause of my injury.

I think I need a psychologist to help me do chinups in the future HAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post

My PT is awesome, he's a former rugby player and crossfitter so he knows what my end goal is.

But gravel I know what you're talking about with the pain during recovery. I guess my rotators are starting to come online again and I get pretty intense pain (short stabbing) from time to time when I'm moving around. Even when not moving my shoulder.

Still staying away from pain meds though.
Hi Michael what pain meds were you given? I was given Tramadol and had strong reactions to it (nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite...) Didn't eat or drink for the three days I was made to take the drug. Lost 7kgs. So if the pain isn't that bad then staying off the drugs would be a good idea.

Hope to hear from all of you!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #105
Alisha Richardson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Darden View Post
I will be going in this Thursday to repair a bankart tear/labrum in my right shoulder. I will be updating here through my recovery. Good times ahead.
Good luck and fast healing to you, Rob
Old 09-22-2011, 03:24 AM   #106
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Paiva View Post
Hey Colin,

Flip pal, 2 months is long! My doc called me an hour after my MRI was done and he had received report from radiologist or whatever they called. And they say things are slow here in South Africa haha!

Glad you on your way to recovery! Keep it up!

Gravel,

I've never really been one to bench that much hey, most I've ever done is 100Kgs and that wasnt often. When I used to bench it was mostly my body weight and maybe a few kgs over. I just want to be able to bench again and do pull ups. Honestly though, the pull ups will scare the crap out of me! I am going to have this fear of re-tearing!

I havent trained properly for over a year now, so whats a another 6-8 months of recovery and re-hab I suppose.

I see this thread is rated 5 stars! nice one!

Cheers lads!
You should be fine with the bench mate. Seeing the guys i know who have had shoulder ops bench consistently each week gives me confidence that if i did choose to bench again it probably wouldnt be an issue.

Chinups on the other hand.. dunno. It seems to depend a bit from person to person from what ive seen. My docs both said that chinups arent the best exercise for the shoulders though due to all the weight of the body being placed directly onto the shoulder joint. Ill be steering clear of chinups once im back in the gym again. Ive only ever done strict deadhangs. Kipping in my opinion is even worse again.. ive lost count of the number of shoulder threads ive read about as a result of kipping.

Stay positive guys.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:17 AM   #107
Rob Darden

Profile:

Thanks guy's! I am going under in a few hours, looking forward to being strong overhead once again.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #108
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Kornihkov View Post
As soon as I found out about my SLAP tear my mind subconsciously shut down the use of my injured arm, so chinups (or any arm exercise for that matter) were not even considered in my WODs. I can't say for sure that I'll be able to muster the courage to ever do another chinup again, seeing as kipping pullups were the root cause of my injury.

I think I need a psychologist to help me do chinups in the future HAHA

Hi Michael what pain meds were you given? I was given Tramadol and had strong reactions to it (nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite...) Didn't eat or drink for the three days I was made to take the drug. Lost 7kgs. So if the pain isn't that bad then staying off the drugs would be a good idea.

Hope to hear from all of you!

My surgery was on Aug 31, I stopped the pain meds on Sept 3. They were vicodins. I felt fine but I went for a drive with my wife and the motion made me very dizzy. I decided to toss them that morning. My doc gave me a RX for 40 pills, I took about 12 over 3 days.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #109
Michael Dries

Profile:

3 weeks post op (yesterday). Had my second PT session yesterday and he beat me up good. Did a lot of passive stretching and even popped something during external rotation but it wasp probably scare tissue. PT is painful but my shoulder feels better after each session.

On the discussion of chins, think about it your in full extension with massive internal rotation. That's going to take a long time to reach ROM wise. I think the most important thing is that once PT is over and folks are released to their own intensions one has to continue with the stretching and not just jump into weights.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #110
Mikael Kornihkov

Profile:

Hi Michael I've experienced slight pops (more of clicking rather) in my shoulder sometimes when I struggle to put on or take off a shirt. Seems pretty normal to me after 3 weeks of relative immobility, although it might help to bring this issue up to your doctor. My shoulder clicked regularly prior to dislocation. Not trying to raise red flags but sometimes it helps to err on the side of caution especially in the early recovery phase.

Your PT seems like a rough dude did you tell him about the pain? How regular are your PT sessions now?

Lastly good luck for your MRI Alisha I hope its a false alarm!