CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #81
Colin McNulty

Profile:
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Great post Michael, it's good to hear you're doing so well.

That's a bucket load of epa+dha you're taking. How did you decide on 11g? Are you spreading it out throughout the day or all in one go?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #82
Michael Dries

Profile:

Honestly it's a completely arbitrary number. I have carlson's liquid and 1teaspoon is 1.3g of the stuff. So I'm taking 1table spoon 3 times a day with meals.

As I said, probably over kill as half the bottle is gone in under week.

Now that's i'm a week into recovery I think I'll begin cutting it back. I'm not consuming any nuts or oils that contain large amounts of n-6 so if anything I'm probably looking at a 2-1 or almost 3-1 in favor of n-3 right now.

I had my first terrible night of sleep, though i don't blame the shoulder. went to bed at 10:30pm and woke at 2am and couldn't fall back to sleep until 4:30am. Yuck
Old 09-08-2011, 03:35 AM   #83
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Thanks for the update Michael, sounds like its coming along well.

I totally know what you mean with the sleeping thing... i even struggle sometimes now that im out of the sling, purely because the amount of positions i can sleep in are very minimal (2).

Your pain sounds about the same as what i went through in the early stages. I found myself off the meds within about a week and then just took them to take the edge off any pain, usually every few days or so.

PT makes a MASSIVE difference. I cant believe how much i improve, literally every session. Im 11 weeks post op now and can almost get my arm above my head, completely pain free. Moving to the side is a little stiffer and external rotation is terrible, but im confident that within the next 6 weeks ill be moving quite freely. Im still doing 4 PT sessions per week, 2 of which are in the pool.

I'll update my progress every month from here as weekly updates will no doubt begin to sound very similar.

Michael, keep your updates coming mate, i look forward to following your progress.

All the best with it.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #84
Mikael Kornihkov

Profile:

Hey there Gravel and Michael, Mikael here

Just had my arthro SLAP repair done last week. 2 suture anchors and 2 incisions made on my right shoulder. Did a change of dressing recently and was really surprised at the size of the incisions [the larger of both was just 2cm long].

Mobility:

My arm is still in a sling as recommended by the doctor. Wake up sometimes with my arm out of the sling and straightened beside my body, which is quite distressing. No pain whatsover. With my arm out of the sling, often when I remove it to dry after a bath I feel really insecure, stiff and weak.

Pain:

I was quite shocked just after the hour long operation at how well the surgery was conducted. The pain [immediately after the operation] was a 3/10 only. Right now just a week after the surgery I'm not experiencing any pain with my arm in the sling at all. Out of the sling I experience a slight tingly feeling [I wouldn't categorise it as pain but a weird feeling] in my shoulder joint.

Lifestyle has been really sedentary. Basic tasks such as bathing and cleaning myself as well as meals are not a problem. Even as we speak I'm using both hands to type this. Really happy to have progressed this far in the early recovery periods.

I find http://www.cebp.nl/vault_public/filesystem/?ID=1699 a helpful resource for those seeking an accelerated pathway to recovery. Oh yes should I try out hydrotherapy? Sounds extremely interesting.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #85
Michael Dries

Profile:

waking up out of the sling sounds scary. I'm in an immobilizer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UDts_ve_Y WFS

Worse night of sleep so far for me. It's 6am local time, I went to "bed" at 11:30pm... still up. sigh
Old 09-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #86
Mikael Kornihkov

Profile:

Woah no wonder you have trouble sleeping. I assume you can only sleep on your back right now?

Really tempted to go for short runs now but I'm afraid all the bouncing around will stifle my recovery. Too risky to attempt any workouts now really.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:00 AM   #87
Michael Dries

Profile:

Mikael, i say give it time. I thought id be stir crazy wthout working out, but to be honest these last two weeks have been nice to relax and get 6 hours a week of my life back to spend with my wife. I've been walking about 1.5 - 2 miles a day on nice days and that's enough to tire my shoulder out. You don't really realize how many stabilizers you use in the shoulder when you walk even in a sling. I can look over and see my deltoid microflexing which it step.

Find a new hobby for the time being, i took up iphone programming. :-D I'm also using this time to lean out. I've always followed a paleo diet but I was always striving to get strong and bigger so I wasn't as lean as I'd like to be. After putting up a 900# CFT at 190# I think I have enough muscle to burn some fat while sitting on my butt for 6-8 weeks. :-D

Last edited by Michael Dries : 09-11-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #88
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Welcome to the journey Mikael and glad to hear youre progressing well in the early stages. I know the exact feeling that you feel when out of the sling as i had the exact same sensation... mine just felt extremely weak and i had almost a pins and needles type sensation. It does get better over time though so be patient.

Re running... i wouldnt recommend it. I was told not to run until 8 weeks due to the jarring upsetting the healing process. I pretty much just walked, as Michael explained, short distances just to keep the blood flowing. Im now at 12 weeks and running 5km every second day... running is completely normal, pretty much back to how i was i was pre-op. So in short it all comes back pretty quick. Enjoy the rest now while you can.

Hydrotherapy... definately recommend it. I started hydro 2 times per week as soon as i got out of the sling (8 weeks). The water allows you to move your arm freely without having to fight gravity. My ROM has increased a heap since i got out of the sling... i put most of the gains down to hydro. I literally get better after every session so id definately discuss it with your PT once you get out of the sling. Im currently doing 2 hyrdo sessions and 2 standard PT sessions per week. This will likely drop back to 2 sessions per week after the 3 month point.

Sorry to hear youre not sleeping Michael... i know the feeling. Im only just starting to sleep normally again now, but i remember in the early stages it was bad.. if i got 5 hours a night i was lucky... usually more like 3-4hrs... it does get better though.

Keep posting guys.. all the best and talk soon.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:23 AM   #89
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Hi Mikael, that link is an interesting read, thanks for posting it. For those without the patience to read a full medical report, the short version is: for an arthroscopic Bankart repair (type of SLAP lesion) the study found that exercising from day 1 after surgery was beneficial both in terms of reduced pain and improved recovery time.

I've posted a slightly longer short summary on my blog here, including the exact exercise protocol they followed:
http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/201...ulder-surgery/ (WFS).
Old 09-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #90
Michael Dries

Profile:

Just got back from the doc for my 12 day post-op.

-Stitches came out almost painlessly. I have white steri-strips on them for 5-7 days.
-He gave me pics of the inside of my shoulder. Pretty cool. He used 3 anchors
-He wants me to start moving my arm around about 30 degrees abduction and moving my arm forward. Kinda making a circle with my elbow 6-10 inches from my ribs. He moved my arm around and said, now do what i did, do that whenever you want at home.
-He said, keep the sling on for sleep and walking/public but sitting and laying around i'm fine to take it out.
-He wants me to start PT this week!! I'm super excited about that, except for the fact that I'm leaving for a business trip tomorrow. Lame. He said "ok then start next week."

I'm on my way.