CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #71
Michael Dries

Profile:
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McNulty View Post
Not that I'm condoning this, but just as a comparison I know someone who's had a repair done with plugs just 3 months ago and did a muscle up last week! I imagine that 24 months is right at the end of the possible spectrum, but I do understand that hearing that is off putting.

The thing to focus on is not the next year or 2, but the next 5 decades of normal shoulder function.
Lol the LAST thing I'd ever want to try is a muscle up again. I just want to be able to bench and do dips without pain.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #72
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
Lol the LAST thing I'd ever want to try is a muscle up again. I just want to be able to bench and do dips without pain.
Same here Michael.. at the end of all this if I can do nothing else but bench and deadlift pain free I'll be more than happy.

Colin.. muscleups 3 months post op with anchors.. makes me cringe.. everyone heals differently tho I suppose..

Old 08-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #73
Michael Dries

Profile:

well im still alive.

im going to start my own thread tomorrow.

dont know how many anchors i forgot to ask but the doc said the tear was bigger than the mri showed (which makes sense since i had so much popping and catching). sugery was with a scope and took about 60 minutes.

I got there at 7... went into the or around 10. got out at 12 and was home at 3.

no pain yet. they did a nerve block and im slowly regaining feeling in my hand/arm. pain is starting... im at about a 2/10 right now. the Vicodins start tonight before bed.

doc did say i should be out of the sling in 4 weeks if everything heals well and then start pt. he said i should be back in the gym with limitations in 3 months. that made me very happy.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #74
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Good luck Michael, I hope things go as well as they can for you.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:02 AM   #75
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Week 10:

@ Michael good to hear it went well mate. 3 months back with limitations sounds about right and is similar to what ive been told. I look forward to reading about your progress to see how it compares to mine. Be patient though mate.. you dont want to go through it all again..

Im still having PT 4 times per week, 2 of which are hydro. The hydro makes it feel fantastic as you can actually move your arm normally in the water without fighting gravity. It just seems to loosen things up much more so id definately recommend it to anyone going through this. Short 15 minute sessions are all you need.

Pain wise im still riding the roller-coaster.. right when i think its feeling great ill wake up and it feels like crap again. My PT said that's normal and today he raised an excellent point:

"On the days where you feel great that should be a cue to take it really easy. The reason being is on those days where you do feel great it is so easy to over-do things, lift things you shouldnt, make movements you shouldnt etc... and then it flares up and becomes sore." This is exactly what i did this week and now im sore again. You really need to know exactly when to apply the brakes with this thing.

Apart from that all is going pretty well. ROM improves after every session, im still pretty stiff but definately improving. Im running every second day which is fantastic.. a nice mental release after sitting around doing nothing for 2 months... my lungs hurt though.. ha..

This weeks summary: A combination of impatience followed by frustration...

The mental battle rolls on...

Old 09-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #76
Shaun Bevins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
This kind of stuff annoys the crap outta me. Paging Steven Lowe, we need some info here!

I can't understand why it would take 24 months for a "minor" surgery to come back to 100%. I've seen folks with total knee replacements back sooner than that. Heck Alex Rodriguez was back to spring training after a hip labrum repair in November.

It's hearing things like this that really makes me not want to have the surgery. It's scheduled for next wednesday and to thing that it'll take 2 years to be able to press and squat what I can NOW, just scares and annoys the crap outta me.

Sorry, rant off.

Gravel, Thanks for all your updates, I'm going to start my own thread next week, I might even do some video blogs just for fun.
Keep in mind, there are lots of things that will affect a person's rehab from both a time perspective and overall outcome. The size of the tear, the surgical procedure or repair needed, the individual's fitness (ROM and strength) going into surgery. Other factors that might vary include the amount of scar tissue formation and or swelling, nutrition, hydration, muscle guarding etc - some of these you have no control over.

I don't think most health professionals think of a SLAP repair as "minor" surgery :-) either.

All that being said, there are lots of things you can do to enhance your recovery...things like working on thoracic mobility and/or scapular stabilizers early on. Focusing on other areas of fitness that often get skipped, like general flexibility, core fitness or coordination activities. And remember often with injury, the small stabilizing muscles that support the joints atrophy first and the most. These muscles are collectively referred to as core muscles and people often forget about these muscles and go right for the big stuff. A good PT will address these areas or encourage you to do so.

Another thing to remember is SLAP lesions are sometimes the result of activity, overtraining and/or poor mechanics. Something to think about moving forward. We often sacrifice quality of movement for other things (sometimes without even knowing it). If your shoulder is not 100% and you force it, you may very well end up hurting your lower back. As many injuries are the result of chronic wear and tear we often don't realize when we are hurting ourselves.

Key factors for any shoulder rehab that need to be addressed to regain full potential are: thoracic mobility, scapular stabilizers, rotator cuff, capsular mobility of the shoulder, general core strength, proper shoulder mechanics including all relevant joints, ie acromioclavicular, scapulothoracic and glenohumeral. Once these things are achieved then you will be able to focus on what we traditionally think about as strength and endurance. Ironically, deficiencies in these areas often precede the SLAP lesion and failure to adequately address these areas can lead to less than desirable rehab outcomes.

Finally, remember the shoulder is connected to the entire body. A shoulder surgery will affect other joints and other tissues. Instead of thinking about rehabbing your shoulder, think about rehabbing your whole body. I guarantee it will make a huge difference in your overall recovery time. I say this not just as a PT but as someone who had to recover from a serious surgery myself.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #77
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Thanks Shaun,

Very interesting read there and ill definately incorporate some of those ideas into my training during recovery. I like the idea of training / rehabbing the entire body, not just the shoulder.. makes total sense.

My fitness life post recovery is going to be much different as ive learnt a lot from this experience. At age 36 i now realise that i cant do what i used to do in my 20's... even though my mind says otherwise. So in short ill be working much smarter once i get back and listening to my body more.

What you said about most professionals deeming SLAP surgery as quite major is exactly the feedback i have received aswell. My PT said that it is one of the most major operations you can have on the shoulder joint. I have to keep reminding myself of this when i get frustrated about how slow the recovery is...

Old 09-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #78
Michael Bailey

Profile:

Haven't posted here in a bit, but am reading up on all your journeys through the rehab. I am approaching 6 months and my shoulder feels good. Some things I have been able to do so far are box jumps, running, double unders, situps/ghd situps, pushups (on my knees, at 6 months I will switch to regular pushups), light deadlifts (30lbs), light pull downs (green band with a dowl), light shoulder press (25lbs)....I am taking a super slow approach but I am focusing on the long term. My goal for 10 months is to do my first body weigh pull up and start doing burpees (I am holding off on those due to the force put on the shouder with the drop down)..I may also start light cleans and build up my strict presses. No snatches, OHS, push jerks, muscle ups or ring dips till at least one year out.
My thought is, I can work my shoulder and chest fine without those heavy shoulder stressing movements.
I also plan to start TGU's with light weight at 6 months. I am using my PT programing to get back into the CF movements..in other words I do 3 sets of 15 one time and the next increase to 3 sets of 20 with the same weight...then back to 3x15 with a small increase in weight (1-5 lbs). It's a slow steady climb and should keep me increasing weight and making gains up through the one year mark......
As far as pain goes, the morning is the worst when it is stiff....by mid day it has warmed up and feels darn right good....even after normal daily use and throwing in some pushups and PT.....
good luck all!!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #79
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Thanks Michael, if u dont mind mate keep posting as it's interesting to follow your progress.. gives me an idea of where I'm likely to be at during each upcoming month.

I have a very similar mindset to yourself.. ie taking it super slow for at least 12 months. I couldn't imagine re-tearing and having to go back to square 1 at this stage.. so pushing it too hard in the gym just isn't worth it.

Keep strong mate and look forward to following more of your progress soon.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #80
Michael Dries

Profile:

Well I figure I'll just update here, why start a whole new thread.

Surgery was Wednesday 8/31. That night I felt like a million bucks because of the nerve block they gave me.

Thurs-9/1- nerve block wore off over night and I started the vicodins. The wasn't horrible but my shoulder reminded me if i accidentally moved it. The large package of tape and guaze around my shoulder came off that afternoon for a shower. 6 holes all about half an inch around the perimeter of my shoulder.

Friday and Saturday- kept taking the pain meds, felt ok but the meds made me sleepy and dizzy. Otherwise I could function well enough. Went for walks since the weather was nice with the wife.

Saturday was the last day for pain meds. I went out for breakfast with a friend and felt terrible in the car. I took my last vicodin that morning and advil that night.

Sunday, no pain meds, went to a bbq, started taking my arm out of the sling a few times a day to move my elbow and let me arm skin rest (more about that below).

Monday and today. My shoulder feels great. I'm spending equal time in and out of the sling. When I out I'm either laying down or at my computer desk where my elbow and wrist are fully supported. though walking around without the sling is not painful at all.

Over all I'm really surprised and happy about the lack of pain. I was expecting a lot more. I'm also noticing improved ROM in that the tiny movements associated with standing up, walking and positioning my arm have gone away. I can lean over to one side and let me arm hang away from me to apply deoderant to that pit.

I've been avoiding the advil only if I really ache. Hasn't happened since Saturday. I'm also hitting the fish oil. about 11g/day of epa+dha. Probably overkill but so far I feel awesome.

Diet wise I'm sticking to my paleo approach. Chicken brests and sweet potatoes where the main course Wednesday-Saturday. The rational being that with all the pain and trauma to my body cortisol production was probably on over drive. I figure the carbs from the potatoes would help manage that. This week I'm still hitting chicking and potatoes in the morning but doing more guacamole and veggies in the afternoon and fattier meat in the evening. Eating to satiety and it's been going well so far. I'm hoping to lean out during this period even though I'm not exercising.

The biggest problems i've had is sleeping, which isn't all that bad thankfully. and I've developed a minor rash on my arm, either from the sling/sweating or from the adhesive from the tape. It hasn't gotten any worse and doesn't itch so I'm not worried about it so much right now. Who knows it could be from not moving my shoulder.

I'll keep you guys updated. I see my doc on the 12th of sept. I'm hoping he'll start me on PT soon.

Last edited by Michael Dries : 09-06-2011 at 03:01 PM.