CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-14-2011, 04:39 AM   #61
Colin McNulty

Profile:
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bailey View Post
2. once the area is cold the body actually increases blood flow to the area in an attempt to warm it up (regulate the temperature to your core temp)
I'm no expert either Michael, but I don't think that's right. I was under the impression that if you're getting cold, the body reduces blood flow to that area because it doesn't want cold blood flowing back to the core and to reduce the your core temperature. I believe this is what Glomus Bodies are for. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The role of the glomus body is to shunt blood away from the skin surface when exposed to cold temperature, thus preventing heat loss
Now maybe it just affects the skin and not the tissues laying underneath?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #62
Jared Paiva

Profile:

Hey Gravel,

Been keeping an eye on the thread and all. Sorry about things moving back somewhat, keep your eye on the prize and things will be cool. The prize? Back to training 100%. Dude, if other athletes are able to do it, then you will be able to!

I'm counting down the months now till mine! Decemember 15, its weird, but I'm keen to just get it done. scary to think I'll be back 100% when I'm 27 probably! I'm 25 now, turning 26 in Feb! I'll be on leave in Dec for 4 weeks and I'll take some sick leave too.

Been pumping the Fish oil 2-3 times per day and also taking some chondriton and glucausamine supp too for my joints. Been doing exercises pysio gave me daily now, see her in a few weeks again.

I'm a little worried about my situation but hoping all will be good after and all, I think youth is on my side.

Cheers bud, heal well and stay positive!

Jared
Old 08-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #63
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Paiva View Post
Hey Gravel,

Been keeping an eye on the thread and all. Sorry about things moving back somewhat, keep your eye on the prize and things will be cool. The prize? Back to training 100%. Dude, if other athletes are able to do it, then you will be able to!

I'm counting down the months now till mine! Decemember 15, its weird, but I'm keen to just get it done. scary to think I'll be back 100% when I'm 27 probably! I'm 25 now, turning 26 in Feb! I'll be on leave in Dec for 4 weeks and I'll take some sick leave too.

Been pumping the Fish oil 2-3 times per day and also taking some chondriton and glucausamine supp too for my joints. Been doing exercises pysio gave me daily now, see her in a few weeks again.

I'm a little worried about my situation but hoping all will be good after and all, I think youth is on my side.

Cheers bud, heal well and stay positive!

Jared
Thanks Jarad. Yeah its funny how the closer your surgery gets you actually start to look forward to it.

Youll be fine mate... the first few weeks sucks a bit but by about week 3 or 4 youll find you almost get used to being in a sling so its not overly bad. Its just all the small things that are annoying, ie cant tie your shoelaces, cant do your belt up, etc etc... does your head in a bit.

Im in to see my surgeon this afternoon so ill report back tonight re progress.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 AM   #64
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Week 8:

I went in to see my surgeon today for my 2 month check. Good news is the sling is finally off for good, even when i sleep. He suggested that the only time i should wear the sling is in crowded environments to prevent it getting knocked and to remind others that i have a bogus arm.

Its nice to have the sling off but i must say it does feel a tad strange, the sling almost becomes a bit of a security blanket. Im gonna have to be extremely careful from here and not get too far ahead of myself just because my bad arm is finally free... albeit still extremely stiff..

My surgeon suggested that the irregular pain im feeling is completely normal and he stated that once i start PT the pain almost always gets worse due to the joint being moved around more. He said that the only way i will re-tear at this stage is if i get back in the gym and go silly with the weights or do something stupid at home. So again, just a matter of being careful and working smart. It was reassuring to hear that the sharp pains and dull aches are normal though.

I start PT this week. Im doing 3 sessions per week, 2 working on movement and 1 will be hydrotherapy in the water. 3 times per week makes for a hectic regime but im looking forward to seeing some progress. 12 sessions per month should get me on the right track.

My surgeon suggested not starting anything strength based for another 6 weeks, so just the movement sessions until then, and then likely start using bands etc to get some strength back... (my forearm is thicker than my bicep at the moment... atrophy... not good.)

Im really looking forward to getting this thing moving... 7 weeks in a sling is a long and frustrating time but now ive made it this far its a good feeling and a big step back to 100%.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:43 AM   #65
Michael Bailey

Profile:

Collin,
I stand corrected...all I know is ice and heat is what I'm doing...
http://www.dtworldwide.com/heat_vs_c...y_injuries.htm

Gravel,
Good to hear....exciting news. As it stands right now, my fixed arm is 3/4 of an inch smaller then my other. It was a lot more then that when I first got the sling off, I can tell you that. I anticipate this will diminish more now that I have started pushups etc.

Keep on track, you will be back before you know it.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #66
Heather Dixon Campbell

Profile:

Gravel,
Great news! That sling does play with your mind for sure.
I won't be starting strengthening until the 10-12 week mark but my range of motion seems to increase each day. I am also using very light dumbbells for limited bicep/tricep work. I have some atrophy but was also out of the sling at 5 weeks. It's the shrinking deltoid that I notice most!!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #67
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Week 9:

Sling is off and PT has commenced. Its been a positive week.

Ive been to 3 PT sessions now including hydrotherapy. My ROM has already improved a heap just in 1 week which is very encouraging. PT is pretty uncomfortable due to the stiffness, it doesnt hurt as such during the movements, its just really tight which causes a pulling type pain. The movements have aggravated it slightly which causes a bit of pain at night but this was to be expected. I just keep the ice up and it soon goes away.

Heres a list of a few interesting points from my PT. Thought these might be of use to others going through the same thing. Kind of puts the whole deal into perspective a bit and makes it easy to understand...

1. Im not to load the shoulder up with any kind of weight until at least the 6 month mark. My PT stated that it takes the tissue 8 weeks to heal / knit together, but at that point the tissue is still extremely weak. He said that the tissue heals in layers. At 8 weeks only the top layer is healed. It takes about 6 months for all the layers to heal completely.

2. At 6 months the joint / tissue will be about as strong as it is going to get. It is at this point that it is sensible to begin 'proper' weights. Before this point i should only be doing body-weight exercises, ROM stuff and cardio.

3. After 3 months of PT i can expect to be back to 90% capacity as far as doing normal things go (except weights). The final 10% can take anywhere from 12 to 24 months to regain (this final 10% includes pre-op strength and size).

4. My shoulder will never be what it used to be, very close and still very functional, but never 'exactly' how it was.

5. If i re-tear this shoulder again the chances of it recovering as well the second time as it will this first time are slim. Almost like you only get one chance at full recovery. Another reminder for me to be sensible with it and not do anything i shouldnt.

6. At this point it is fine for me start running again. I spoke to both my surgeon and physio and they both gave me the go ahead to run. They are happy that running will cause no damage at all to the shoulder.

For me all this information really put the whole thing into perspective and made it easy to understand the principles behind why the recovery from shoulder surgery is so long.

Overall this week has been my best / most positive week thus far.

Last edited by Gravel Brown : 08-22-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #68
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Brown View Post
3. After 3 months of PT i can expect to be back to 90% capacity as far as doing normal things go (except weights). The final 10% can take anywhere from 12 to 24 months to regain (this final 10% includes pre-op strength and size).
This kind of stuff annoys the crap outta me. Paging Steven Lowe, we need some info here!

I can't understand why it would take 24 months for a "minor" surgery to come back to 100%. I've seen folks with total knee replacements back sooner than that. Heck Alex Rodriguez was back to spring training after a hip labrum repair in November.

It's hearing things like this that really makes me not want to have the surgery. It's scheduled for next wednesday and to thing that it'll take 2 years to be able to press and squat what I can NOW, just scares and annoys the crap outta me.

Sorry, rant off.

Gravel, Thanks for all your updates, I'm going to start my own thread next week, I might even do some video blogs just for fun.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #69
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
This kind of stuff annoys the crap outta me. Paging Steven Lowe, we need some info here!

I can't understand why it would take 24 months for a "minor" surgery to come back to 100%.
Don't stress mate, I'm sure you'll be back long before that.

When he mentioned 24 months he was referring to the fact that if I don't look after it, or don't commit totally to my rehab then it can drag on for ages. He was referring to full and complete ROM taking that long sometimes.. not strength.

He also stated that non athletic people can take much longer to heal that athletic people do.

I'm shooting for 8-12 months.. I'm sure I can do it.. especially if my current status has anything to do with it.. I feel better every day at the moment.

One thing i would suggest to anyone going through this is to find a physio that you have complete faith in... and if possible do this pre-surgery. Ive been to many physios over the years that dont exactly instill me with confidence and it can be extremely frustrating.

My current physio has been in the game for 35 years and really knows his stuff. Its so much better (not only physically but also mentally) when you have complete confidence in your physio and the plan that they have set out for you.

Last edited by Gravel Brown : 08-25-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:08 AM   #70
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Not that I'm condoning this, but just as a comparison I know someone who's had a repair done with plugs just 3 months ago and did a muscle up last week! I imagine that 24 months is right at the end of the possible spectrum, but I do understand that hearing that is off putting.

The thing to focus on is not the next year or 2, but the next 5 decades of normal shoulder function.