CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #51
Gravel Brown

Profile:
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Just checked and mine are as follows:

Each capsule = 1000mg Natural Fish Oil, 180mg EPA, 120mg DHA.

Im taking 3 of these, 3 times per day.

Im typing this at 0200 hrs... trying to sleep in a sling still sucks.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #52
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Week 7:

Im back on the SLAP tear roller-coaster this week. The past 3 days the pain seems to have returned and im now feeling a pulling / catching type pain in the front of the shoulder... very frustrating as last week i thought i was on my way...

So the mental struggle continues. This thing seems to lull you into a false sense of security, right when you think its feeling good something happens to make you second guess if it is indeed healing or if its gone backwards... its extremely frustrating.

I find when it feels good its easy to take the sling off and act / carry out daily tasks half normally, but the catch is not doing too much. If im not careful i sometimes find myself reaching to carry something of reasonable weight.. so its important to constantly remind yourself of where youre at and not get too far ahead of yourself.

Im consistently doing 5km walks now and even running 100m intervals during these walks. I must say the running can be slightly uncomfortable though as the bouncing can aggravate the shoulder.. i play it by ear each day.

Im back in to see the surgeon next Tuesday and hopefully lose the sling and start PT after that. I think that PT will be a huge milestone for me.. at least then i will know what my shoulders capabilities are and how far i can push the limits re ROM.

To sum up this week... 2 steps forward... 3 steps backwards...

Old 08-09-2011, 05:40 AM   #53
Michael Bailey

Profile:

Did your doc say it was OK to take the sling off and move around? I was in mine 24/7 unless I showered for 7 weeks. That included sleeping. Not sure I would be running at this point. I know it's tough but it takes 3 months for the shoulder to completely heal so I would lay off until then. Even at 3 mo. the surgery is still new so take it slooooooooooooooooooow...........

I am right with you on the pain thing. The soreness always waxes and wanes with me, coming and going based on how far I push it in PT or just in using the arm. Any new movements tend to make it real sore for a day or two and sometimes sleeping on it wrong (which I try not to do) makes it sore too.
5 months out and the other day I was using a hammer for some light nailing. Didn't hurt to do it but the next day my shoulder was reminding me it was there. Some days I barely feel it but others not so much. I ice the crap out of it still.

My repaired arm is slightly smaller now then my other due to the one arm exercises I do on my good side but the repaired arm is coming back quickly with just PT exercises. I anticipate that it will be back to normal once I start working out with it.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #54
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bailey View Post
Did your doc say it was OK to take the sling off and move around? I was in mine 24/7 unless I showered for 7 weeks. That included sleeping. Not sure I would be running at this point. I know it's tough but it takes 3 months for the shoulder to completely heal so I would lay off until then. Even at 3 mo. the surgery is still new so take it slooooooooooooooooooow...........

I am right with you on the pain thing. The soreness always waxes and wanes with me, coming and going based on how far I push it in PT or just in using the arm. Any new movements tend to make it real sore for a day or two and sometimes sleeping on it wrong (which I try not to do) makes it sore too.
5 months out and the other day I was using a hammer for some light nailing. Didn't hurt to do it but the next day my shoulder was reminding me it was there. Some days I barely feel it but others not so much. I ice the crap out of it still.

My repaired arm is slightly smaller now then my other due to the one arm exercises I do on my good side but the repaired arm is coming back quickly with just PT exercises. I anticipate that it will be back to normal once I start working out with it.
Yeah mate i have to get it out of the sling 3 times per day for passive exercises and forearm stretches. If i dont do this it aches like hell from being in same position (in the sling).

To put it into perspective over a 24hr period id say it is out of the sling for approx 2hrs in total... so not much. I still sleep (or try to sleep) in the sling every night. Regardless of whether i go to sleep or not i never take it off in bed.

Totally with you the running thing... probably pointless at this stage anyhow.. walking is good though. Ill probably try to begin running properly in a month or so and see how it goes.

Interesting to hear that you still experience some pain. I find myself getting paranoid everytime i feel pain, has me wondering if ive re-torn something. Many people have told me that some pain is actually a good thing as often it is due to the healing taking place inside.

Appreciate your input mate.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #55
Michael Bailey

Profile:

Hey we gotta support each other to keep us all from going crazy. I had many occasions where I thought I retore it...lucked out and not the case but still....good lesson on paranoia..shoulder felt great yesterday and did some PT and knee pushups and used the arm to put a few screws into the wall...real sore today so I'm backing off. I don't take any pain meds even when it gets sore because I want to be reminded to back off and let it rest. I use ice and heat alternately and that works great.

Try putting a wet towel in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds then put it on your shoulder....great way to use moist heat on it...

best of luck
Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #56
Heather Dixon Campbell

Profile:

Another great "hot pack" is a heavy tube sock filled with UNCOOKED rice. Microwave for about 1.5 minutes, depending on the lenght of the sock, amt of rice, etc. You can wrap it around the shoulder or neck depending on where you need the warmth.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #57
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Great advice guys really appreciate it.

I have no doubt that this recovery would be much harder without this forum. Its great hearing words of wisdom from people who have experienced the same thing and from others who can relate their own knowledge to the problem.

Interesting Michael to hear that something as simple as putting a few screws into the wall causes pain still at 5 months... makes me realise ive got a long way to go!!

Old 08-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #58
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bailey View Post
I use ice and heat alternately and that works great
That makes a lot more sense to me than simply icing. Sure ice numbs pain, but it also (I believe) restricts blood flow, which is not what you want when rehabilitating tendons as their blood flow is poor at the best of times. When I had golfer's elbow (wfs), one of the bits of advice I researched was *not* to just ice it, but to use alternating hot and cold treatment. I would always try to end with hot, to help the blood flow.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #59
Michael Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McNulty View Post
That makes a lot more sense to me than simply icing. Sure ice numbs pain, but it also (I believe) restricts blood flow, which is not what you want when rehabilitating tendons as their blood flow is poor at the best of times. When I had golfer's elbow (wfs), one of the bits of advice I researched was *not* to just ice it, but to use alternating hot and cold treatment. I would always try to end with hot, to help the blood flow.
Colin,
I'm just a layman in this area but I think ice is good for two reasons that I know of. 1..it helps reduce the inflammation in the area so it can heal easier and 2. once the area is cold the body actually increases blood flow to the area in an attempt to warm it up (regulate the temperature to your core temp) and like you said increased blood flow helps healing.

Heat is good to help loosen the tendon/muscle area and relax the area making it easier/less painful to move and again, also increases blood flow in an attempt to regulate the body temperature...

I think ending with heat is a good idea because you will notice it feels less tight with movement then it would with ice where you may feel like your ROM is a little more limited.

If I am wrong, someone please correct me..

Again, I'm not an expert just someone who is living this RC repair saga...
Old 08-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #60
Gravel Brown

Profile:

I'll be back on the ice today... enough pain has returned this week to warrant painkillers again... very annoying. A few weeks ago i was completely pain free but for one reason or another the pain is back.. sometimes just a dull ache.. other times a sharp stab.

I'll incorporate some heat aswell as described above.

Cheers guys.