CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
Heather Dixon Campbell

Profile:
My Rotator Cuff Injury

After reviewing the posts on shoulder injuries, I did not find any related to rotator cuff injuries in women or in women my age (49). I have been Crossfitting since september 2008.
I tore my rotator cuff on April 9. It did not take long for me to determine that something bad had happened. I had my MRI on May 12 & an arthroscopic repair on June 28. I can say that this has been the single worst experience of my life.
After my injury, my Prehab included continuing with CF 4-5 times/week. I AVOIDED all overhead lifts. I could row, do light wall balls, kipping pullups with a light band, deadhangs & lighter cleans. I did all movements/lifts that involved lower body.
I am now back to our university gym every other day using the recumbant bike, all the leg & squat machines, body weight stuff & light weight dumbell presses/snatches with my non-operative arm. It will be a careful & well programmed return to CF but I challenge I will surely meet.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: My Rotator Cuff Injury

What exactly is your question(s)?

Are you getting physical therapy?
Old 08-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Heather Dixon Campbell

Profile:

I have no questions at all. Just wanted to share a bit of my prehab & post-op recovery (to date).
Old 08-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Gravel Brown

Profile:

So Heather that puts you about the same time post op as myself. My op was June 22nd.

Just by way of comparison can you give me an idea of where youre at re the following:

1. Are you out of the sling yet?
2. How is your ROM?
3. How is your strength?
4. Did you have anchors installed?

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
Heather Dixon Campbell

Profile:

I am 5 weeks post op & saw my ortho today. I can begin active PT next week. I am spending most of my time out of the sling. My passive ROM is fair at best. I have 1 anchor & feel the pull in that area when I move my arm. I have been reassurred that this will pass with therapy.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:17 AM   #6
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Dixon Campbell View Post
I can say that this has been the single worst experience of my life.
Hi Heather, what specifically has been bad? Do you mean the whole thing, or the surgery, or the pain, what?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Heather Dixon Campbell

Profile:

@Colin;
The loss of self-control followed closely by the pain. I have a very high pain tolerance but those first 2 weeks tested my limits. I took enough pain meds to make most people stop breathing!!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
Gravel Brown

Profile:

It is such a mental battle huh... almost more mental than physical.

Starting PT 5 weeks out is a real positive though as this should definately increase your progress. Im unable to start PT until week 9, so 8 full weeks in the sling... very annoying.

Stay positive Heather, just remember... this time next year you'll be completely back to normal.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:04 AM   #9
Heather Dixon Campbell

Profile:

@Gravel,
You are so right; the mental component is huge. Thanks for the words of encouragement! Each day is better & starting PT on Monday will be a huge milestone.
I would like to make a couple of suggestions for anyone who will be having shoulder surgery. 1) Find yourself some sort of a reclining chair or lounge. Sleep is a challenge & the adjustable positions makes it a bit easier to get comfortable. 2) Get a good sling. I used an Ultrasling which stabilizes well. The downside, it's a bit pricey ($185 CAD).
Old 08-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Dixon Campbell View Post
@Gravel,
You are so right; the mental component is huge. Thanks for the words of encouragement! Each day is better & starting PT on Monday will be a huge milestone.
I would like to make a couple of suggestions for anyone who will be having shoulder surgery. 1) Find yourself some sort of a reclining chair or lounge. Sleep is a challenge & the adjustable positions makes it a bit easier to get comfortable. 2) Get a good sling. I used an Ultrasling which stabilizes well. The downside, it's a bit pricey ($185 CAD).
Great advice. Im averaging 4 hours sleep per night at the moment... sleep is a huge problem in the initial stages of recovery. Its not necessarily the pain, more the fact that you are limited to changing positions... its extremely annoying.