CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #11
Aaron Gainer

Profile:
Re: dull left shoulder pain

Work on your mobility/flexibility. Do stuff that doesn't hurt or cause you pain.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
Bill Gibson

Profile:

Wow, thanks for the heads up Gravel. If this continues, maybe I'll have to beg my parents to send me to an ortho. I really hope it's nothing serious! I was doing great up until I sliced my right palm open....
Old 07-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #13
Steven Low

Profile:

Meh, it's nice to share stories but everyone is different in the way they manifest pain, what is actually wrong (if anything at all), etc. etc. so taking someone's experience is generally a bad idea unless you have been medically diagnosed with the same condition.

Then you may relate your experience but again everyone responds a bit differently to therapy, surgery, or whatever else. So.... it's meh.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #14
Bill Gibson

Profile:

Generally speaking, how much would money would I be spending to see an ortho for one visit? MRI? Surgery? Rehab? I realize these are subjective questions, but a pall bark estimate would be appreciated. I'm gonna stay way from anything that agitates my shoulder for awhile in the mean time.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
Steven Low

Profile:

Depends on your insurance.

Usually it's a copay... maybe anywhere from $0-50. Usually around $10-25
Old 07-16-2011, 04:37 AM   #16
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
Wow, thanks for the heads up Gravel. If this continues, maybe I'll have to beg my parents to send me to an ortho. I really hope it's nothing serious! I was doing great up until I sliced my right palm open....
Yeah as Steven said, it could be any one of many things, just because my pain etc was similar dont think the worst for yours, hopefully your issue doesnt turn out as negative as mine.

The main thing is not to let full ROM and maintaining of strength in the gym fool you. I automatically thought that mine couldnt be torn as i had both of these still... wasnt the case.

All the best mate.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
Bill Gibson

Profile:

Thought I would update my situation. I went to my family physician and she said take NSAID's, take a week off, don't do anything that causes pain/discomfort, and revisit her if the pain/ache persists. Since the last time I updated, I have over head squatted my previous 1RM max for 5 (140#), clean & jerk a new PR of 205#, been able to press and push press with little to no discomfort, been able to kick myself up into a handstand on the rings (a first), done half range of motion ring HSPU (another first), gotten stronger muscle up negatives on rings (still no strict or kipping muscle up), and set a PR for strict pull ups at 16. I have also played golf and basketball, and done a little throwing (of a basketball) with the arm of the affected shoulder. I don't know if I would classify the main shoulder as having pain, but rather having more of an ache. What aggravates my shoulder the most is swinging a golf club (I am left handed) and throwing. I am glad I have been able to progress in my strength, but I have stayed away from Crossfit WOD's because of fear of aggravating my shoulder (mostly burpees and pull ups) and I am missing that endorphin rush from finishing a WOD. If this ache persists for another one or two weeks, then I'll go try and get an MRI and see what's up. I have never worked through excruciating pain. Sometimes while doing upper body movements, there a will be a dull ache. My fear is that I am experiencing the same things that Gravel Brown had felt before he found out he had a SLAP tear. Honestly though, I just want the ache to go away and as fast as possible!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #18
Bill Gibson

Profile:

I also thought I would add that I decided to go on a 30 day strict paleo challenge and I am now on day 10. I decided to do the challenge in hopes that it would alleviate my shoulder issues and help me lean out a little.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Bill Gibson

Profile:

also, I don't know how importance this is, but when I take high enough doses of fish oil (around 10 grams), The pain starts to intensify a little. Idk what that means, but I thought I would throw that out there.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 AM   #20
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
also, I don't know how importance this is, but when I take high enough doses of fish oil (around 10 grams), The pain starts to intensify a little. Idk what that means, but I thought I would throw that out there.
Is that 10 grams of total fish oil, or 10 grams of EPA and DHA (the good stuff) combined?