CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 AM   #41
Colin McNulty

Profile:
Re: My SLAP Journey...

@Graval: It's good to hear you're feeling better fella.

@Michael: Don't be disheartened, I'm sure the surgery will see you on the road to the recovery you want. It's a temporary set back which will set you up for the rest of your life.

@Clint: That "Cross Transference" is interesting as it's completely opposite to recent advice I've read. If you're read Tim Ferriss' excellent book The 4 Hour Body (wfs) in the chapter "PRE-HAB - Injury-Proofing the Body" he references Gray Cook when he says: "According to Gray the most likely cause of injury is neither weakness nor tightness, but imbalance." He uses stories like this to back up the theory:

Quote:
The Atlanta Falcons professional football team suffered seven season-ending injuries in 2007. In the 2008 season, there was just one minor surgery late in the season. The difference: their new director of athletic performance, Jeff Fish, made the FMS [Functional Movement Screening] mandatory. Once players are “diagnosed” with the FMS, they receive personalized programs to correct imbalances and improve range of motion.
As a result I am personally staying away from doing stuff with my good arm, to prevent future, further imbalance related injury.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #42
Steven Low

Profile:

Weakness and tightness are typical qualities that signify imbalances or other issues.

I don't really see the point in disconnecting them from the issue(s)?

You do want to keep some sort of strength up in the other arm -- lower volume of course as to not significant increase any type of hypertrophy
Old 07-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #43
Clint Baker

Profile:

I can understand the perspective of imbalance that Colin described, but even doing nothing with the healthy arm would provide an imbalance since the repaired arm is doing less.

Gravel, As for my recovery, not only is mine 100% back to normal, its stronger than my shoulder that wasn't operated on. To the point that I have often wondered if there was something not quite right with the unrepaired one.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #44
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Thanks Clint, good to hear you're 100%.

Out of interest how long did it take you to get back to 100% post surgery?

Old 07-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #45
Clint Baker

Profile:

I didn't throw a ball full strength for 9 months (mainly out of fear) but I was back to regular around the 9 months mark, maybe a little less.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #46
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Week 6:

This week has been very positive.

Ive noticed a definite increase in strength of the shoulder and when out of the sling it feels nowhere near as tender as it has in past weeks. I havent really felt any pain at all this week and the shoulder overall just feels more stable.

Im in the sling for another 2 weeks after which i begin proper PT. Ive made an effort this week to get my arm out of the sling for longer periods, up to 2 hours sometimes, and i definately think this has helped it.

ROM is still extremely limited, very stiff.

Sleeping still sucks.

Back in to see the surgeon next week for another meeting to see where im at.

One thing i have noticed make a huge difference is Fish Oil. Ive been taking it religiously for the past few weeks and really notice a difference if i forget to take a dose... it starts to feel tender again. If i keep up the Fish Oils it seems to keep everything settled. Perhaps its just a mental placebo type effect but it seems to be working.

Talk soon.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #47
Colin McNulty

Profile:

That's great news Gravel! Looks like you've turned a corner, congratulations.

Interesting about the fish oil, what kind of dose are you taking (of DHA/EPA combined)?

I was in for my MRA yesterday to check for SLAP (on top of my PASTA). Having the arthrogram was no fun, but they following MRI scan was just loud and boring. I'm just waiting for a follow up appointment with the consultant now to see what the results are. The irony is, since I started down the road of diagnosis, it's been feeling much better, lol!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #48
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McNulty View Post
That's great news Gravel! Looks like you've turned a corner, congratulations.

Interesting about the fish oil, what kind of dose are you taking (of DHA/EPA combined)?

I was in for my MRA yesterday to check for SLAP (on top of my PASTA). Having the arthrogram was no fun, but they following MRI scan was just loud and boring. I'm just waiting for a follow up appointment with the consultant now to see what the results are. The irony is, since I started down the road of diagnosis, it's been feeling much better, lol!

Clint, I take 3 capsules, 3 times per day, breakfast lunch and then right before I go to bed. The capsules I take are 1000mg per pill.

I have noticed a substantial difference since I upped my dosage and began taking them more religiously.

Hopefully your MRI results are positive mate. Keep us posted.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:01 AM   #49
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Brown View Post
Clint, I take 3 capsules, 3 times per day, breakfast lunch and then right before I go to bed. The capsules I take are 1000mg per pill.

I have noticed a substantial difference since I upped my dosage and began taking them more religiously.

Hopefully your MRI results are positive mate. Keep us posted.
Uh, the 1g capsules typically only have 300 mg EPA+DHA per pill (which is why he asked for specific).

So it looks like you're probably takeing 300*3 *3 = 2.7g EPA+DHA per day which isn't actually alot but if there's a lot of inflammation it can probably make a difference.

I'd generally aim for about 5g EPA+DHA and then reeval how you feel if you have an injury, but this is a good starting point if you wanna do that.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #50
Colin McNulty

Profile:

As Steven said, it's the total combination of EPA and DHA that's important. For reference, Dr Sears suggests that a health adult with no ailments should take 2.5g (2500mg) of EPA/DHA combined per day; more if you're ill.

You're taking 9000mg Gravel, but how pure are they, i.e. how much is EPA/DHA. Hopefully they're not the 30% that Steven is guessing. For example Dr Sears' OmegaRX stuff is typically 60% pure, the Pure Pharma fish oil I have is 70% good stuff.