CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #31
Jared Paiva

Profile:
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Hey Gravel,

Thanks for keeping us informed, I have a different injury, but its still good to know etc. have you found the time has gone quickly?

I see you're and Aussie, you a rugby fan? Tri Nations coming up soon. I'm from South Africa, Aus & SA is always a cracker! Quade Cooper is amazing!

Anyhow, get better and keep us posted! Your positivity is amazing!

Cheers

Jared
Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #32
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Hey Jared,

Yeah i dont mind the rugby, prefer Aussie Rules football though!

I have found the time does go quite quickly. In these early stages most of my days are exactly the same as you cant really do much, especially not being able to drive, so im pretty much restricted to the house and walking places just to keep the legs moving. I keep myself busy with our 1 year old daughter so its not too bad. Just stock up on movies etc before you get it done mate, relieves the boredom and gives you something to do if you struggle to sleep.

Im not overly keen to do anything fitness wise apart from walking in fear of any jarring movements upsetting the healing. You hear plenty of stories bout people running in their sling.. not for me.

I had a few dramas last night. I woke up in the middle of the night in pain. The velcro on my sling had come undone and allowed my arm to come loose and move into a bad position.. not good.. actually had to take an Endone to relieve the pain.. this thing is an ongoing battle mate.. right when you think its feeling good it starts to hurt again..

Old 07-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #33
Jared Paiva

Profile:

Hey Gravel,

Hows shoulder? Updates please.

Cheers.

Jared.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #34
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Paiva View Post
Hey Gravel,

Hows shoulder? Updates please.

Cheers.

Jared.
Hey guys.. quick update.

Almost feel like ive gone backwards this week to be honest. Im experiencing a lot more sharp pain inside the joint, so much so that im back on the painkillers most days just to take the edge off of it.

Ive accidentally jagged it a few times when ive had it out of the sling, just small incorrect movements that seem to have aggravated it somewhat. Having a 13 month old daughter who wants to climb all over me doesnt help much...

Im extremely careful with it (due to having huge paranoia about re-tearing) but even with this mindset you can still only be so careful.. its the smallest little movement that can aggravate it. So in short the past few days ive just kept it in the sling as much as possible just to settle it down a bit... im just trying to work smart.

One bit of advice i could offer at the stage is to do everything in your power not to hold any weight in your bad hand (injury side hand). Yesterday i got caught out holding a shopping bag (very light weight) in my bad hand... the velcro on the sling then came undone leaving me holding the weight unsupported.. ouch.. not good!

Ive been iceing a lot more also this week, again to settle it down, ice works better than anything else.. its fast becoming my best friend.. i cant recommend ice enough.. instant pain relief guaranteed.

ROM is still the same.. very limited.. joint still very stiff. Start proper PT in 5 weeks.

Hopefully the next few days will be more positive.. fingers crossed.. this thing is a constant mental battle and trying to remain positive is a real challenge.

I'll keep you all posted!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #35
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Thanks for the updates Gravel. It must be s tough feeling like it's going backwards fella but I'm sure you'll be happy to have gone through all this when it's all fixed and you're hitting Fran PBs again in 2012.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:34 AM   #36
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McNulty View Post
Thanks for the updates Gravel. It must be s tough feeling like it's going backwards fella but I'm sure you'll be happy to have gone through all this when it's all fixed and you're hitting Fran PBs again in 2012.
Yeah Colin it certainly keeps you guessing. I had another painful day today after 2 previous days of no pain at all.. so its all part of the process i guess.

I just keep looking forward to a few months time when the sling is off, PT has started, and im a bit more mobile... at the moment its all just mind games and frustration.

My friend bought over a wind trainer today so gonna start hitting the legs again asap.. looking forward to that.

Talk soon.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #37
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Week 5:

Im starting to feel like im turning the corner a bit this week.

I now have much more strength in my hand and forearm and can do most things in front of my body with normal strength, ie opening jars, turning door handles etc. I need to keep reminding myself not to take any weight in my hand though as this could potentially cause problems. Whenever the arm is out of the sling its a matter of being very careful as sometimes its easy to forget and want to use the arm normally.

ROM wise its still extremely stiff. Im persisting with the passive exercises 3 x per day. Im due to start proper PT in 4 weeks time so hopefully that will loosen things up. Im still restricted to doing nothing outside of the '30 degree away from the body' range... im not sure i could move it further than that in any case. To put the stiffness into perspective, if i put a piece of food on my fork and try to raise my hand to my mouth i can barely do it due to the stiffness... its pretty stiff!!

Pain wise im still getting sharp stabbing pains inside of the joint but this week it has been rare, maybe once every few days. My shoulder is still quite numb around the area of the cut.. i guess when you think of what has gone on in there this is no surprise.

Showering and getting dressed is now much easier, due mainly to me having a little more strength now. I still have to be very careful putting a shirt on though as this can be painful if i try to rush and move the joint around too much. Sleeping is up and down.. still very restricted to being on my back and partially on my non-injury side.

Overall though things seem to be progressing well... just hope that it keeps going in this direction.

Last edited by Gravel Brown : 07-26-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #38
Clint Baker

Profile:

Gravel,

Just found your thread and thought I'd give you some of my experience. I had a SLAP repair in 2006. Scope version and they sutured down the biceps tendon too. I was restricted to the sling completely (no passive exercises at all) for 6 weeks before my first PT session.

This was pre-Crossfit for me, but I was still very active and not exercising was driving me crazy. then I read about "Cross Transference", it's theory is strength training of the opposite limb strengthens the inactive muscles of the injured limb. They believe it is more a way of keeping the nerves stimulated when the muscles can't be actively used.

I was in the gym as often as possible in my sling doing 1 arm benching, presses, rows etc. I believe it helped me not only regain strength quicker when I could use my bum shoulder, but mentally it rejuvenated me.

Hope this may give you a brighter outlook and maybe prevent some insanity.

Clint
Old 07-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #39
Michael Dries

Profile:

Thanks for the updates.

An update from my end. Surgery is scheduled for Aug 31.

Doc said it'll be a scope and about 45 minute surgery. I have my crazy sling and a cryo cuff as well.

Doc said probably 2 anchors as most. It's a relatively small tear, he's actually surprised it's bothering me so much. He retested and it seems rather stable and he said "yea you're strong." But the catching and popping is a concern to him so...

I'm NOT looking forward to it.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #40
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Thanks Clint and Michael,

Clint that cross transference theory sounds interesting. Ill Google it and have a look. Are you 100% now or do you still have issues. Id love to know mate considering yours was a SLAP aswell????

I plan on getting back into the gym next week. Ive been pretty careful with the 1 arm stuff as my shoulder is still pretty tender when i take a reasonable weight even in my good arm. For example lifting a heavy shopping bag with my good arm actually hurts my bad shoulder... strange.

I've already noticed a huge amount of atrophy in my upper body... its annoying to see 15 years of work dissolve away to skin and bone within 5 weeks!!! Hopefully i get it back quickly when i start on the weights again.

Ill be backing right off of the Crossfit style stuff for a while... the volume of the WODs just isnt suited to successful recovery IMO. Ill be doing more structured weights as opposed to CF for a while.

Michael 45 mins sounds about right mate, my surgery took 50 mins with 4 anchors. It really isnt that bad. The first week sucks and is fairly painful but it slowly gets better after that. The worst part is trying to get used to doing bugger all... all part of the recovery though so gear yourself up for some serious downtime and try to enjoy the rest.

For 'normal' inactive people i dont think it would be as bad... but for people like us that love fitness and being active it sucks... its a constant mental battle trying to stay positive. I just keep looking forward knowing that in 10 months time ill be back to 100%... fingers crossed!!