CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-05-2011, 02:48 AM   #51
Nathan Jansen

Profile:
Re: Hardest workout you've ever done?

Last summer we hiked about 25 miles over three hot and sunny days into the Pasayten Wilderness in Northern Washington. Despite the 600+ dead fall trees making for a several miles long obstacle course with 50lb backpacks the first day (, the hike was stunningly beautiful. It was also infested with swarming clouds of relentlessly vicious mosquitoes. We decided to get out, in one day.

On day four, the WOD was inevitable:

1 Round for time;
25 miles with 50lb "weight vest."

Time - about 11 hours.

I've been backpacking my entire life, but rarely, if ever, do more than 12 or 13 miles in a day. The distance, the heat, the painfully slow up and over and under trees for the last 5 or 6 miles and the unending mosquito bites made for the most rewarding WOD of my life.

And yes, we had DEET and net clothing because we knew the bugs would be bad...it didn't help at all.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:43 AM   #52
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

For a complete mental hammering and demoralization, the burpee mile takes the cake. I will never do it again. It is not particularly taxing physically. My last go at Fran layed me out for minutes but the workout doesn't take long enough for your mind to get in the way too much.

MF
Old 07-05-2011, 03:45 AM   #53
Gary Butterfield

Profile:

Any ideas how many burpees you did in that mile?!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #54
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Butterfield View Post
Any ideas how many burpees you did in that mile?!
The math says at a three foot average forward jump you'd have to do 1760. I really have no clue though cause only a fool would do a thousand or so burpees

MF
Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #55
Jason Simon

Profile:

Paris Island "The Crucible"
Anytime a WOD starts kicking my butt I remind myself of that WOD 13 years ago and what I'm doing doesn't seem so bad anymore.

Fran killed me too...
Old 07-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #56
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
The math says at a three foot average forward jump you'd have to do 1760. I really have no clue though cause only a fool would do a thousand or so burpees

MF
Yeah but the math is wrong. There is no way that your feet are going to be just 3 feet further from where they were One burpee ago. I can think of two things:

1. During the first few dozen burpees, depending on your conditioning and abilities, you'll be jumping much more than 3 feet. Very much more I guess. And as you tire, while I'm sure you'll jump less, it wont be something ridiculous like 1.5 feet for a reasonly fit individual. Even while gasping for air like crazy, I would think that even your average of 3 feet broad jump can be done. So there is no way the total average is 3 feet, since the first few should be longer.

2. When you squat down and put your hands on the floor..... I suspect nobody will be putting their hands just right at the sides of their feet. I believe you can squat down and lean forward a bit and gain some grond with your hand. After you perform the "knee-push-up" portion of the burpee everyone does, from which you come back with a "jump", your feet would probably land more forward than they were at the beggining of that burpee, before squatting down. So even before your broad jump, you've gained ground.

This is why I think with each burpee you should be covering considerably more than a mere 3 feet.

Still, I'd never even attempt this workout. I like to do a strict push-up in my burpees and don't see myself doing hundreds, ever!! Looks daunting even with regular burpees as CF competitors do them. Ouch.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #57
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Yeah but the math is wrong. There is no way that your feet are going to be just 3 feet further from where they were One burpee ago. I can think of two things:

1. During the first few dozen burpees, depending on your conditioning and abilities, you'll be jumping much more than 3 feet. Very much more I guess. And as you tire, while I'm sure you'll jump less, it wont be something ridiculous like 1.5 feet for a reasonly fit individual. Even while gasping for air like crazy, I would think that even your average of 3 feet broad jump can be done. So there is no way the total average is 3 feet, since the first few should be longer.

2. When you squat down and put your hands on the floor..... I suspect nobody will be putting their hands just right at the sides of their feet. I believe you can squat down and lean forward a bit and gain some grond with your hand. After you perform the "knee-push-up" portion of the burpee everyone does, from which you come back with a "jump", your feet would probably land more forward than they were at the beggining of that burpee, before squatting down. So even before your broad jump, you've gained ground.

This is why I think with each burpee you should be covering considerably more than a mere 3 feet.

Still, I'd never even attempt this workout. I like to do a strict push-up in my burpees and don't see myself doing hundreds, ever!! Looks daunting even with regular burpees as CF competitors do them. Ouch.
You're right. When doing broad jump burpees, it's very common to see people drop down almost a full body length instead of placing their hands near their feet.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #58
Jay McElligott

Profile:

1)Kalsu
2) 400M Walking lunges with 25# plate over head
Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #59
Phillip Kerr

Profile:

1) Speal vs Khalipa WOD
2) The Bear Complex
Old 07-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #60
James R. Climer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Carey View Post
Score one more for Kalsu. It's a daunting task. Even scaled to 115# without a rack. I tried to game it, planning on 5 reps per set. Didn't help much.
I haven't finished one yet, and that with only 95#.

This is the only workout I haven't been able to finish....
...I quit on Linda once but finish it strong now.

Kalsu for me is a will breaker.