CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 02:48 AM   #51
Nathan Jansen
Member Nathan Jansen is offline
 
Nathan Jansen's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 8
Re: Hardest workout you've ever done?

Last summer we hiked about 25 miles over three hot and sunny days into the Pasayten Wilderness in Northern Washington. Despite the 600+ dead fall trees making for a several miles long obstacle course with 50lb backpacks the first day (, the hike was stunningly beautiful. It was also infested with swarming clouds of relentlessly vicious mosquitoes. We decided to get out, in one day.

On day four, the WOD was inevitable:

1 Round for time;
25 miles with 50lb "weight vest."

Time - about 11 hours.

I've been backpacking my entire life, but rarely, if ever, do more than 12 or 13 miles in a day. The distance, the heat, the painfully slow up and over and under trees for the last 5 or 6 miles and the unending mosquito bites made for the most rewarding WOD of my life.

And yes, we had DEET and net clothing because we knew the bugs would be bad...it didn't help at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:43 AM   #52
Marshall Flagg
Member Marshall Flagg is offline
 
Marshall Flagg's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gardnerville  NV
Posts: 374
Re: Hardest workout you've ever done?

For a complete mental hammering and demoralization, the burpee mile takes the cake. I will never do it again. It is not particularly taxing physically. My last go at Fran layed me out for minutes but the workout doesn't take long enough for your mind to get in the way too much.

MF
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:45 AM   #53
Gary Butterfield
Member Gary Butterfield is offline
 
Gary Butterfield's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Leeds  England
Posts: 80
Re: Hardest workout you've ever done?

Any ideas how many burpees you did in that mile?!
__________________
"Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted" - David Bly
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #54
Marshall Flagg
Member Marshall Flagg is offline
 
Marshall Flagg's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gardnerville  NV
Posts: 374
Re: Hardest workout you've ever done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Butterfield View Post
Any ideas how many burpees you did in that mile?!
The math says at a three foot average forward jump you'd have to do 1760. I really have no clue though cause only a fool would do a thousand or so burpees

MF
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #55
Jason Simon
Member Jason Simon is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Reynolds Station  KY
Posts: 10
Re: Hardest workout you've ever done?

Paris Island "The Crucible"
Anytime a WOD starts kicking my butt I remind myself of that WOD 13 years ago and what I'm doing doesn't seem so bad anymore.

Fran killed me too...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #56
Arturo Garcia
Member Arturo Garcia is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Santo Domingo  Dominican Republic
Posts: 1,875
Re: Hardest workout you've ever done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
The math says at a three foot average forward jump you'd have to do 1760. I really have no clue though cause only a fool would do a thousand or so burpees

MF
Yeah but the math is wrong. There is no way that your feet are going to be just 3 feet further from where they were One burpee ago. I can think of two things:

1. During the first few dozen burpees, depending on your conditioning and abilities, you'll be jumping much more than 3 feet. Very much more I guess. And as you tire, while I'm sure you'll jump less, it wont be something ridiculous like 1.5 feet for a reasonly fit individual. Even while gasping for air like crazy, I would think that even your average of 3 feet broad jump can be done. So there is no way the total average is 3 feet, since the first few should be longer.

2. When you squat down and put your hands on the floor..... I suspect nobody will be putting their hands just right at the sides of their feet. I believe you can squat down and lean forward a bit and gain some grond with your hand. After you perform the "knee-push-up" portion of the burpee everyone does, from which you come back with a "jump", your feet would probably land more forward than they were at the beggining of that burpee, before squatting down. So even before your broad jump, you've gained ground.

This is why I think with each burpee you should be covering considerably more than a mere 3 feet.

Still, I'd never even attempt this workout. I like to do a strict push-up in my burpees and don't see myself doing hundreds, ever!! Looks daunting even with regular burpees as CF competitors do them. Ouch.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #57
Yahya Kohgadai
Member Yahya Kohgadai is offline
 
Yahya Kohgadai's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hayward  CA
Posts: 1,385
Re: Hardest workout you've ever done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Yeah but the math is wrong. There is no way that your feet are going to be just 3 feet further from where they were One burpee ago. I can think of two things:

1. During the first few dozen burpees, depending on your conditioning and abilities, you'll be jumping much more than 3 feet. Very much more I guess. And as you tire, while I'm sure you'll jump less, it wont be something ridiculous like 1.5 feet for a reasonly fit individual. Even while gasping for air like crazy, I would think that even your average of 3 feet broad jump can be done. So there is no way the total average is 3 feet, since the first few should be longer.

2. When you squat down and put your hands on the floor..... I suspect nobody will be putting their hands just right at the sides of their feet. I believe you can squat down and lean forward a bit and gain some grond with your hand. After you perform the "knee-push-up" portion of the burpee everyone does, from which you come back with a "jump", your feet would probably land more forward than they were at the beggining of that burpee, before squatting down. So even before your broad jump, you've gained ground.

This is why I think with each burpee you should be covering considerably more than a mere 3 feet.

Still, I'd never even attempt this workout. I like to do a strict push-up in my burpees and don't see myself doing hundreds, ever!! Looks daunting even with regular burpees as CF competitors do them. Ouch.
You're right. When doing broad jump burpees, it's very common to see people drop down almost a full body length instead of placing their hands near their feet.
__________________
34/m - 5'8" - 170lbs - 18%bf
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #58
Jay McElligott
Member Jay McElligott is offline
 
Jay McElligott's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lubbock  TX
Posts: 5
Re: Hardest workout you've ever done?

1)Kalsu
2) 400M Walking lunges with 25# plate over head
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #59
Phillip Kerr
Member Phillip Kerr is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Morehead City  NC
Posts: 36
Re: Hardest workout you've ever done?

1) Speal vs Khalipa WOD
2) The Bear Complex
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #60
James R. Climer
Member James R. Climer is offline
 
James R. Climer's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Paso Robles  California
Posts: 1,148
Re: Hardest workout you've ever done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Carey View Post
Score one more for Kalsu. It's a daunting task. Even scaled to 115# without a rack. I tried to game it, planning on 5 reps per set. Didn't help much.
I haven't finished one yet, and that with only 95#.

This is the only workout I haven't been able to finish....
...I quit on Linda once but finish it strong now.

Kalsu for me is a will breaker.
__________________
M / 51 yo / 6'0" / 205#
Paso Robles, CA
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats the hardest WOD? Joshua Wilkins Workout of the Day 99 01-07-2011 08:16 PM
the hardest wod you've done? Michael Ingley Workout of the Day 194 02-20-2010 01:58 PM
You know the hardest thing about IF? Jonathan Slater Nutrition 21 08-19-2008 05:09 PM
One of the hardest workouts Kyle Sattgast Workout of the Day 33 01-09-2008 03:14 PM
Hardest WOD Ever? Chris Sinagoga Workout of the Day 24 09-17-2006 07:41 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.