CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #21
Joe Bischoff

Profile:
Re: 6 eggs a week?! what the eff?

Iassen,

My girlfriend is usually on me to knock down the number of eggs I eat. We go through about a dozen or two dozen a week. I ask her if she wants a three or four egg omelet she says two. I say I want a four egg omelet, she automatically talks me down to three.

We both agree that eggs are just about the perfect food, but she's told me several times that one egg is really all a person needs a day. Perfect food or not, we know there is some bad cholesterol in there, and while I'd argue that a well trained athlete could work through three or four eggs a day, if I was consistently over four or six eggs a day I'd really start to worry about my heart.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #22
Darika Siegel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bischoff View Post
We both agree that eggs are just about the perfect food, but she's told me several times that one egg is really all a person needs a day. Perfect food or not, we know there is some bad cholesterol in there, and while I'd argue that a well trained athlete could work through three or four eggs a day, if I was consistently over four or six eggs a day I'd really start to worry about my heart.
There's no way I can go on 1 egg a day. I average 3-6 per day. I buy cage free at Costco a few times a month. I don't worry too much about my heart when my doctor tells me I'm in great shape. My cholesterol is usually under 140.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #23
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Vasko, those are awesome pics. What's was the time period between the photos?

Joe, the "dietary cholesterol hypothesis" (eating cholesterol means that you have high cholesterol in your blood) has been soundly disproved in my opinion. There's plenty of literature out there that confirms this if you chose to look. This article (WFS) details my own high cholesterol and high saturated fat diet, and my corresponding low cholesterol results.

In summary: eat eggs! But don't take my word for it, get yourself tested. Cholesterol tests are trivial these days. Bare in mind though that cholesterol in your blood is only correlated to heart disease, it's not a causative factor. I.e. people who have high rates of heart disease also have high levels of cholesterol, but it doesn't follow then that cholesterol causes heart disease, only that those 2 things can happen at the same time.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #24
Vasko Naumov

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McNulty View Post
Vasko, those are awesome pics. What's was the time period between the photos?
I was taking pictures every month on 1st of: Jan,Feb,Mar,Apr