CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-30-2011, 04:18 AM   #11
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Re: Weak Leg Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lowry View Post
Volume as in something like 3 sets of 10?
More like 5 sets of 5.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:24 AM   #12
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan K Smith View Post
So you do ME and DE in the same session?
Yes. I follow Conjugate CrossFit as close as I can. If you have access to the CrossFit journal, search conjugate CrossFit Chris Mason and follow it for a few weeks and see how you like it.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
Chris Mason

Profile:

John, so, from what I read, you KNOW you would make killer progress if only you could get your legs stronger yet you don't necessarily want to use the method proven by the best strength athletes in the world to achieve your goal???

Why exactly do you fear 1RM training?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #14
John Lowry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
John, so, from what I read, you KNOW you would make killer progress if only you could get your legs stronger yet you don't necessarily want to use the method proven by the best strength athletes in the world to achieve your goal???

Why exactly do you fear 1RM training?
Chris,
It's not that I fear 1rm training at all. I was just opening my scenario up to any suggestions other than methods I've read about.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #15
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you want to get stronger working in the 1RM/3RM/5RM range will help you more than sets of 8-10. Whether it's conjugate method and its focus on 1RM ME days, DE days, and assistance exercises or a 3x5 linear progression, basically you just need to pick a logical, thought-out strength program or plug-in and do it. Bottom line is you have to squat and deadlift and press heavy to get better at squatting and deadlifting and pressing heavy.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #16
John Lowry

Profile:
Red face Re: Weak Leg Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If you want to get stronger working in the 1RM/3RM/5RM range will help you more than sets of 8-10. Whether it's conjugate method and its focus on 1RM ME days, DE days, and assistance exercises or a 3x5 linear progression, basically you just need to pick a logical, thought-out strength program or plug-in and do it. Bottom line is you have to squat and deadlift and press heavy to get better at squatting and deadlifting and pressing heavy.
What I've learned in the past through trainer certifications (NASM) and exercise physiology coursesis is that you have to have appropriate muscle size to accommodate the strength gains. That's why in other strength programs, not related to crossfit, you would cycle rep schemes from 10 to 12 for a few weeks to allow for hypertrophy. Following that would be lower reps 6 to 8 for moderate strength and 3 to 5 to allow for near maximal strength.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #17
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
What I've learned in the past through trainer certifications (NASM) and exercise physiology coursesis is that you have to have appropriate muscle size to accommodate the strength gains. That's why in other strength programs, not related to crossfit, you would cycle rep schemes from 10 to 12 for a few weeks to allow for hypertrophy. Following that would be lower reps 6 to 8 for moderate strength and 3 to 5 to allow for near maximal strength.
Muscle size and strength are two totally different things. Yeah, one usually accompanies the other, but they don't have to...hence the reason that an elite 105kg OLer or PLer is probably significantly stronger than a 105kg bodybuilder, even though the bodybuilder has much more hypertrophy. The bodybuilder trains for hypertrophy, the OLer or PLer trains for maximal power and strength, and their results reflect that difference in training.

Plus, if increased muscle size was necessary for strength gains, then weight class lifters couldn't get stronger without moving up to another weight class. Improved neuromuscular efficiency plays just as big a role in strength as increase in muscle mass does.

As far as I know NASM methods haven't produced any elite powerlifters, while Westside and TM-type programs that modulate volume and intensity have put out plenty.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #18
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Chris,
It's not that I fear 1rm training at all. I was just opening my scenario up to any suggestions other than methods I've read about.
Maximal or near maximal effort lifts will get you stronger. I squat twice a week, once is 7-10 reps above 90% spread across 5-8 sets. So a training session might look like this:
Heavy Day:
2 (90%), 2 (94%), 1 (96%), 1 (100%, if I hit it, go up), 1 (102%, seen note), 2 (92%)

Note: If I make it at 102% I might move up, or try it again depending on how it feels
Speed Day
Around 50% loaded on the bar, with bands for accommodating resistance, and we go for 3 reps, every minute on the minute for 10 minutes (30 reps total).

Something else that might help is doing some plyo box jumps on the heavy days. Not the normal Crossfit method for box jumps, but study up on the history of them. I use hurdles actually in groups of 4. Maybe some broad jumps if you don't have hurdles.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #19
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Have you ever watched olympic weightlifting?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #20
James R. Climer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
More like 5 sets of 5.
[ATTACH]7991[/ATTACH] WFS

This one is a good start, it's only 6 weeks, 3 days per week, plenty of good volume.

Enough that I noticed a change over the course in my comfort and confidence under the bar due to the volume, and the strength gain was nice too.

The warmup weights are @ 65% & 70% of estimated max that you plug in.
Attached Files
File Type: email Russian Squat Program.xls (59.5 KB, 178 views)