CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-17-2003, 06:27 PM   #1
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Skip rope 2 min.
10 Handstand push-ups (did 20 with feet on table)
Skip rope 2 min. (did 1 min.)
Deadlift high pull 1/2 BW 12-10-8-6-4 (did 75lbs, Bodyweight 192)
50 Dips (did 40, 15 regular, 25 asst.)
Time: 29 minutes

I went at it maybe 70%. Man, I need to work up to a handstand push-up. That's my goal this year.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:29 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jon-great go at things! Many people wonder how to start crossfit and how to regulate the volume/intensity. You nailed it here. Some days you really bring it and you may have the dry heaves for a while afterwards. Other days you do what is reasonable and it is still a good work out.
Robb
Old 01-20-2003, 12:53 PM   #3
sean hernandez mccumiskey

Profile:

skip rope 2 min

ten hand stand push ups(i tried ten times)
on the first attempt i did a handstand against the wall lowered my self down (sum what controlled) but could not come back up. lack of strenght was a problem but also i could not keep my feet in cotact with the wall while pushing up. they kept falling down to the floor.
-on the next 9 attempts i did a wall handstand held it for as long as i could and tried to do controlled negativeson the way down.

skiped rope for 2 min

i did sumo deadlift highpulls with 36 kg i weight 70kg

again with the rope 2 min

50 dips ( in 7 sets 15,10,5,4,6,6,4)

2 min rope

time: 25 min

i think those 10 single sets of handstand push ups killed me in the time race. but time is not my major concern. ? how do i progress into doing a hand stand push up?

when i warm up for a wod i do some push kick lunges ( thanks Robb), then 5 slow controlled (sc) pull ups, 10 slow sc push ups, 20 sc broom stick doorway (overhead) squats-i am trying to progrees into doing the snatch but I think i must first master the over head squat first(my shoulder flexibility is poor and i cant hold a bar over head in the down squat position). Is this a good assumtion. and some streching 5 min. is this greasing the groove??? and i end it off with three wall assisted hand stands holding them for as long as i can. i am trying to focus on weak points in my warm up. is this a good aproach to improving on these things? or should i spend more time on them.

sean

my 1 year goals are to do the splits and a hand stand push up in the middle of the room (without the wall of course)
Old 01-20-2003, 01:25 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
sean- I think you are right on course with this. I tend to do a little GTG on things like HSPU and OH-squats at the end of work outs where I am not totally blown out. Using them as a warm up is a great option as well. On the over head squats emphasize depth over weight. Check out the CFJ which talks about squatting and apply the biomechanics there. I am a hair away from a BW OHS and I really can not believe the change it brings about in my athleticism (Dan John=ALLKNOWING!) Keep chipping away at things. it will progress slowly at first but it will pick up speed. More and more atributes will improve simaltaneously and thus enhancing further progress. It is awesome!
keep us posted
Robb
Old 01-22-2003, 12:23 PM   #5
sean hernandez mccumiskey

Profile:

Thanks alot for the reply and yes I will keep you all posted.

sean