CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
Xi Xia

Profile:
Non-False Grip Muscle Ups?

After watching the Games this year, it is clear that having the ability to do non-false grip kipping muscle ups was crucial for the Snatch-Muscle up event. So, since all those competitors/HQ trainers were racking them out, is there a video tutorial on it?

I just started practicing them and need help with the quick transition into the dip position. It feels harder with the lack of the false grip...or probably cause it feels like a whole new challenge again!

I can do strict muscle ups on a bar or rings with the false grip. But this kipping one eludes me. Any tips?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Non-False Grip Muscle Ups?

Do not squeeze the hell out of the bar or rings.

It requires a very dynamic pull into the transition. Basically you have to be strong and dynamic as hell.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

It helps to start loosening up the False Grip by a bit.

Do a couple MU's with FG. Then slip the grip half an inch and do a couple. Then slip it 1/2 inch more & do it (basically you'll just have a bit of a bent wrist by then). Practice that for a week or two. After that the No FG MU's won't be that difficult. That's what we've done at our box & it made the transition smooth!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xi Xia View Post
After watching the Games this year, it is clear that having the ability to do non-false grip kipping muscle ups was crucial for the Snatch-Muscle up event. So, since all those competitors/HQ trainers were racking them out, is there a video tutorial on it?

I just started practicing them and need help with the quick transition into the dip position. It feels harder with the lack of the false grip...or probably cause it feels like a whole new challenge again!

I can do strict muscle ups on a bar or rings with the false grip. But this kipping one eludes me. Any tips?

Why did they not use a false grip? Was it not allowed?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Greg D Hamilton

Profile:

The rings were above their reach, so jumping into a false grip was a bit tougher than just grabbing regular grip.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
David Meverden

Profile:

Yeah, the rings were setup with the bottom of the ring just above their outstretched finger tip.

I actually came to the opposite conclusion from watching the event as the OPer: that some athletes, Jason Khalipa in particular, should have spent more time developing a good false grip muscle up rather than try to power through the more difficult movement.

Maybe it would be faster to do the first MU without a false grip (because you donīt have to spend time adjusting your hands after jumping up) but there is absolutely no good reason, in a competition, for not using a false grip during successive muscle ups (barring old injuries that physically prevent that position, of course).
Old 08-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

If the rings were set up just out of reach, I don't see how someone couldn't adjust to a false grip at the top of their first muscle up, and continue from there with a false grip for the remainder of their reps
Old 08-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

I think part of it was the ring height and part was the "ring turn out" issue. It's a little harder to turn the rings out with a false grip for multiple quick reps than with a regular grip.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
Xi Xia

Profile:

Thanks for the suggestions. Leo, that is a good idea with the gradual release of the grip and it has worked out well today in my first practice session. Unlike the fasle grip version, it feels like my hands loosen during the quick transition and then re-grasp the rings into the dip position. Almost like I pop into it.

David, in the workouts I've done with MU's, I've always used the false grip. However, I've noticed when I fatigue or the MU's are the end of a longer workout, it seems very taxing to get into or hold the false grip. I've often thought how nice it would be to have the ability to do muscle ups not only with a false grip, but also without one when the occasion might call for it. Seems like having both more tools in the bag can't hurt and it would allow one to apply the right ones at the right times.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xi Xia View Post

I could never figure out the false grip. Read up on it, tried to duplicate it, and it felt completely awkward (I'm sure this is an issue of simply doing it wrong, but don't have anyone available to teach me).

Anyway, I eventually gave up trying. First time I ever walked up to a set of rings high enough to hang from I grabbed them and got a muscle-up, first try. All I can say is be committed to it and kip hard. If you can do strict, you're stronger than me, so I know it's well within your ability. Once you learn the muscle pattern it'll be easy.