CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
James Hobart II

Profile:
Again Faster Rev Rope

We have seen our new Again Faster Revolution Ropes fly off our shelves, and are eager to hear what you all think of them.
What do you like? What could be better? We want to keep providing you with the essentials to crush WoDs, so let us know.

Jh
Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Cody Bradford

Profile:
Re: Again Faster Rev Rope

A friend of mine just bought a rope and I tried to talk him into ordering one but he went with a ultra speed rope instead. I got an ultra speed rope from you guys and was wondering what the difference is between it and your revolution rope? They look nearly identical in the photos. Check that, I just noticed: Is that a spherical bushing on the revolution rope?? Cool...
Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

James - a couple guys at my gym got them & I've tried them out. They're definitely real nice & are great quality jump ropes.

The wire seem to be coated with something which makes the rope a tad heavier than the Ultra Speed rope (that's what I mostly have at our box & prefer them after switching from Buddy Lee ropes). It's still almost as fast (negligible difference that most folks won't even notice unless you can crank out DU's super quick) & the handles are definitely nicer & less slippery.

All in all for personal use I'd buy one of those in heartbeat.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
James Hobart II

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Bradford View Post
A friend of mine just bought a rope and I tried to talk him into ordering one but he went with a ultra speed rope instead. I got an ultra speed rope from you guys and was wondering what the difference is between it and your revolution rope? They look nearly identical in the photos. Check that, I just noticed: Is that a spherical bushing on the revolution rope?? Cool...

Yes, there is a very small bushing which guides the rope where it meets the fitting at the handle. Unlike the Ultra Speed, the Rev Rope fitting is attached into a bearing system which allows for spin instead of just a plastic fitting. Rev Ropes also come with 1 extra cable.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I've got the Ultra, which has the same issue as the Rev I believe: every time you miss you usually have to step on the rope to slide the wire back to the ends of the handle. This sucks up time. I solved this by wrapping some tape around the wire to act as a stopper so it wouldn't slide.

This is not an issue if you never miss, but some of us are (shock!) less than perfect with our double-unders.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
I've got the Ultra, which has the same issue as the Rev I believe: every time you miss you usually have to step on the rope to slide the wire back to the ends of the handle. This sucks up time. I solved this by wrapping some tape around the wire to act as a stopper so it wouldn't slide.

This is not an issue if you never miss, but some of us are (shock!) less than perfect with our double-unders.
That wouldn't be a problem for a guy like me that has to take a couple of breaths before diving into the next barrage of DUs ....

I've been using a cheapo skipping rope that my wife found for me at TJ max. It's like plastic/vinyl and pretty heavy compared to some of the speed ropes I've held.

I wonder what the learning curve is like?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Jon Gilson

Profile:

Andy,

The learning curve on the Revolution Rope and Ultra Speed Cable Ropes is a bit steep, but worth the journey.

I found that I had to re-learn the timing versus my heavy PowerMax rope, but after a few days of steady practice, my DU PR went from about 45 to north of 60. The advantage of the lighter rope is obvious: less weight and more speed equals less fatigue and better WOD times.

Best,

Jon
Old 07-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
Travis Loest

Profile:

Yeah, but what does it feel like "thwacking" into the back of your legs?
Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Gilson View Post
Andy,

The learning curve on the Revolution Rope and Ultra Speed Cable Ropes is a bit steep, but worth the journey.

I found that I had to re-learn the timing versus my heavy PowerMax rope, but after a few days of steady practice, my DU PR went from about 45 to north of 60. The advantage of the lighter rope is obvious: less weight and more speed equals less fatigue and better WOD times.

Best,

Jon
Thanks, Jon - I may just pick one up.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
Angel Rivera

Profile:

I just got a Ultra speed rope and love it, but I'm having trouble with the transition from my old rope to this one. I will keep practicing, though...