CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #121
Christy Labrie

Profile:
Re: Paleo for dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Kibble vs Raw Chicken. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, as the dogs are very busy right now.
Silly me, I was sitting her thinking "I cant do this, my dog would have that quarter up on my bed or on the couch..."
Crate- great and obvious idea And we have one! You'd think I would have thought of that.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #122
Christy Labrie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Laken View Post
If your like me and will stick to kibble, check out http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ (WFS) it breaks down and gives ratings to many types of kibble. Turns out the food my vet recommended, Hill's Science Diet, isn't very good. My dachshund now gets a 6 star, grain free kibble, that's pretty well the same price as Science Diet.
Thank you! I have been thinking about doing the BARF diet for my dog.
But found out the food that I am feeding him (and the cats the cat version) gets 6 stars!
Taste of the Wild
Ingredients
Duck, duck meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, roasted quail, roasted duck, smoked turkey, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 32.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 18.0% Minimum
Crude Fiber 4.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum
Sodium 0.3% Maximum
Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.4% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.4% Minimum

I may incorporate raw into the diets, but at least I feel better about the food I am using.
I think it is around $1/lb
I buy 2 bags every 2-3 months ($50 total-1 cat and 1 dog food bag for 2 cats and 1 25lb dog)
Old 11-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #123
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy Rutherford View Post
Thank you! I have been thinking about doing the BARF diet for my dog.
But found out the food that I am feeding him (and the cats the cat version) gets 6 stars!
Taste of the Wild
Ingredients
Duck, duck meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, roasted quail, roasted duck, smoked turkey, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 32.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 18.0% Minimum
Crude Fiber 4.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum
Sodium 0.3% Maximum
Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.4% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.4% Minimum

I may incorporate raw into the diets, but at least I feel better about the food I am using.
I think it is around $1/lb
I buy 2 bags every 2-3 months ($50 total-1 cat and 1 dog food bag for 2 cats and 1 25lb dog)
I chose Taste of the Wild before seeing the site's analysis of it too. I was glad I made a good choice!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #124
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Our puppy eats Orijen large puppy formula (and so does the cat, although he eats the cat stuff)... he about flips over at feeding time (although he is a lab and would probably flip over for anything).

It smells good, and I think I would actually eat it in a pinch!

We do some raw stuff, but even though dogs are better at handling the bacteria I still worry about salmonella etc...

Karin
Old 06-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #125
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Hey guys.

I'm getting a pitbull puppy today (8 weeks old) & don't want to feed it any conventional meat.

I already have a bag of the Orijen Puppy stuff, but now was thinking of avoiding any kibble to begin with & starting it raw from Day 1.

Would grass fed ground beef be ok in the beginning? And I'll get a few pasture raised whole chickens from the farm next week.

Cool thread. Very excited about the dog. Been wanting one since I was 13.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #126
Kevin Burns

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
Would grass fed ground beef be ok in the beginning?
Got to be careful about the amount of fat in the meat. Dogs digestive systems can't handle the amount of fats that ours can.