CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
James Rios
Member James Rios is offline
 
James Rios's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Whittier  CA
Posts: 540
wait wut?

forgive me if this is has been discussed already, but i usually stay pretty up to date on what is going on in crossfit and am confused by what i just saw.

just saw Tommy Hackenbruck competing in the affiliate cup at his regionals... does this mean he isnt competing in the LA this year?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: wait wut?

I think several well-known firebreathers were on their various affiliate teams. Remember that the top five from last year already have spots at the Games, without having to go through the Sectionals and Regionals. Affiliate teams, meanwhile, *do* have to qualify. Firebreather who doesn't have to compete as an individual + affiliate team needing a good result to advance = Hackenbruck (and others) on affiliate teams.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
Scott Stevens
Member Scott Stevens is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Garden City  MI
Posts: 651
Re: wait wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Firebreather who doesn't have to compete as an individual + affiliate team needing a good result to advance = Hackenbruck (and others) on affiliate teams.

Katherine
I think I read that Tanya Wagener wasn't going to compete as an individual this year?

Does the qualifying regional affiliate team not have to be the same people as who shows up in LA?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Leonid Soubbotine
Affiliate Leonid Soubbotine is offline
 
Leonid Soubbotine's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longwood  Fl
Posts: 1,586
Re: wait wut?

Scott - yeah. This way if some folks won't make through individual competition but they have an affiliate team going to the games - they can swap members of the team. Pretty neat system actually to have the best athletes in Cali.
__________________
CrossFit Evolution
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Walker Fenz
Member Walker Fenz is offline
 
Walker Fenz's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin  TX
Posts: 251
Re: wait wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
Scott - yeah. This way if some folks won't make through individual competition but they have an affiliate team going to the games - they can swap members of the team. Pretty neat system actually to have the best athletes in Cali.
Forgive me, I may be slow...are you guys saying that an affiliate team that qualifies for the Games...can send different affiliate members for the Games competition?
__________________
“Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.” -Henry Ford
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: wait wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker Fenz View Post
Forgive me, I may be slow...are you guys saying that an affiliate team that qualifies for the Games...can send different affiliate members for the Games competition?
I think the affiliate roster is fixed. However, the roster is six people, but only four are competing at any given time. (There might also be some leeway for subs due to injuries, other commitments, etc.) Theoretically, at least, you could use Tommy Hackenbruck in the Regionals and someone else in the Games. It would be tough to have a teammate doing double duty in the individual competition, but having that person on the team might be the difference between qualifying and not. Ya do what ya gotta do.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Renee Lee
Member Renee Lee is offline
 
Renee Lee's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 3,039
Re: wait wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I think the affiliate roster is fixed. However, the roster is six people, but only four are competing at any given time. (There might also be some leeway for subs due to injuries, other commitments, etc.) Theoretically, at least, you could use Tommy Hackenbruck in the Regionals and someone else in the Games. It would be tough to have a teammate doing double duty in the individual competition, but having that person on the team might be the difference between qualifying and not. Ya do what ya gotta do.

Katherine
the 6 people you registered with at regionals are not automatically the roster for the games. you can change a few athletes or all of them if you want.
__________________
"catapultam habeo. nisi pecuniam dabis, ad capitem tuum saxum mittam."
Translation: I have a catapult. Give me your money or i'll throw a rock at your head.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
Walker Fenz
Member Walker Fenz is offline
 
Walker Fenz's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin  TX
Posts: 251
Re: wait wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
the 6 people you registered with at regionals are not automatically the roster for the games. you can change a few athletes or all of them if you want.
So it seems that people could compete in the Games (on an affiliate team) without ever having to qualify to get there...? Kinda nuts...Then again, should you compete in Games and win, i supose it doesn't matter how or what you did (or did not do?) to get there. Still have to compete!

lol, i'd hate to be the guy who subs in for hackenbruck or the like, tough shoes to fill.
__________________
“Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.” -Henry Ford
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:38 AM   #9
Aaron Lengel
Member Aaron Lengel is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Waterville  OH
Posts: 67
Re: wait wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
Scott - Pretty neat system actually to have the best athletes in Cali.
It seems like this would keep better athletes from making it. If the team couldn't make it without Tommy and had to sub a lesser athlete, this would actually allow for a watered down competition at the games... or for your team to get smoked. Cool for that team though!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:59 AM   #10
Leonid Soubbotine
Affiliate Leonid Soubbotine is offline
 
Leonid Soubbotine's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longwood  Fl
Posts: 1,586
Re: wait wut?

Aaron - in this case - you're right. But there's many other great CF'ers who might not qualify through Individual (Ricky Frausto, Dave Lipson, Pat Barber etc) who's gym's team might be going. And those guys can jump into the team between the Regionals & the Games to make the teams stronger.
__________________
CrossFit Evolution
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how much longer should i wait Jeremy Raffer Injuries 1 08-06-2009 10:12 AM
Can't wait to get started!! How does my plan look? Matthew Gray Starting 2 07-17-2009 10:38 PM
Football Team - Overhead Squats!?! Wut? Nicho Mann Fitness 7 08-22-2008 09:23 PM
Wait Wait Squat Increase Every Workout? David Gessen Starting 15 04-05-2008 04:28 PM
To wait or not to wait? Jeff Chalfant Running a CrossFit Facility 4 12-22-2007 03:56 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.