CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Casey Leonard

Profile:
Is your affiliate open for members to work out on their own?

So is your affiliate box open for members to work out on their own, or only for scheduled group or individual CF sessions? Was curious what your box's policy is regarding this.
And if so, do you care what type of work out their doing? If you saw one of your clients doing reverse tricep extensions or dumbell curls, would you lose your mind....haha.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Laurie Smith

Profile:
Re: Is your affiliate open for members to work out on their own?

Our members are not supposed to workout without a trainer present, but they can do a wod other then the one's posted.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

never during the weekdays.

We do have an Open Gym on Saturdays from 9 am to 11am-noon where members can do whatever they like - usually they work on skills/strength or catch up on a WoD they've missed.

The origin of the idea was that all the current CF competitors & future ones were going to workout on Saturdays following various protocols of Olympic Lifting/Strength Training/Gymnastics/Endurance etc - and then we decided to open it to all members which turned out to be excellent.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Wil Vicinus

Profile:

We also have open gym on Saturdays, after the morning WOD. Quite a few people will come in for the WOD and then stay for open gym to get some extra skill work in.
It is also popular with members who want to work on Oly lifting or hit either a benchmark or a WOD that they missed during the week.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

My head trainer allows those of us, usually younger, fitter people, who have been attending for a while to workout on our own. He makes sure they're capable of doing things safely first. He is never absent but sometimes he will be doing his own work... CFE or whatever.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
James lee

Profile:

i only have a handful of people doing their own thing but these are members that have been with me for a while and now they want to experiment with different programing (endurance, seal fit, football, etc). I have a standing rule that what ever they do can not interfere with a class at all. this means that if the class needs the equipment, space, etc, the class gets it first.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
Jason Donaldson

Profile:

Every person who sets foot inside our box is coached. Even our group classes are small (max 6 athletes). This is our USP. Yes it reduces how many members we can have, but it keeps quality high and service even higher. That's why we are coaches
Old 05-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Well we have open gym on Sundays.

Some of the more senior members (this includes me) are allowed to do a different WoD or stay late to work on something extra as long as it doesn't interfere with the next class.

We have a guy that works out twice a day (6 a.m. and 5:30 or 6:30) so he usually does the posted WoD in the morning and is always doing something different at night and he sometimes gets others to do it with him that aren't keen on the posted WoD.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
Mike Hopper

Profile:

The fitness center I work at is in the process of becoming an affiliate. We have a couple of Level 1 trainers already and they're trying to get a few more of us to get certified. I've been doing some of the modified workouts for a couple of weeks now.

Because we have what seems to be a little bit different set up than most affiliates, we are quite a bit different I guess. They have been posting WODs for awhile and we have members doing them at all hours of the day. Our members have 24-hour access to the facility. They come in and do the workouts on their time. Once we become affiliated, they plan to start some classes at nights..
Old 06-09-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

We switched to more of a Wichita Falls Athletic Club-model. Open gym from 6a-11a and then reopen at 3p-8pm. We also have the traditional group CF classes throughout the day, but moved somewhat away from the traditonal CF business model of group classes only. Bottom line - Not everyone needs, wants, or can afford the coached training or the group atmosphere. We were eliminating a huge market by being elitist *******s about it.

So, we came up with a $50/month price point and started offering the "Basic Membership". They get introduced to the 5 Big Lifts and some ocsasional coaching if I see some really egregious **** going on. Other than that they are on their own. We don't really have to worry about the BB **** because the place isn't designed for that and people can see that. It becomes painfully obvious very fast to most of the Basic Members that they will want to upgrade to CF, or one of the other programs, if they want to progress as fast as everyone else.

Here's the schedule (WFS):
http://trainingschedule4clients.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Randy Tarasevich : 06-09-2010 at 06:29 AM.