CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Essential Certs

In preparation for opening our CF affiliate, I am signing up to a number of certs and generally trying to learn as much as I can from other coaches and box owners.

I have an opportunity to attend a Gymnastics Cert in Fredsrickburg, VA.
What are other's thoughts on this cert? How useful do folks feel it is for a trainer? What other cert would you recommend instead, if any? And which do folks feel are the ESSENTIAL certs to have for a CF coach?

Thanks in advance for all replys!
Old 05-02-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Essential Certs

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=57580

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=57645

wfs

Ian, if you were not a gymnast, especially a men's gymnast, the Gymnastic Cert is pretty much essential. You'll learn how to spot and basic HS stuff besides MU stuff and I hear they are fun.

Other than the Gymnastics Cert, one of the Burgener certs is a very good idea or Rip's Strength cert or perhaps the PL cert. Maybe even the USAW. Find some clinics if you can't arrange for one of the certs.

Kelly Starlett's mobility cert is another great idea.

It would be beneficial to know the basics of the O-lifts and Barbell lifts, you'll need to know how to swing a kettlebell. Maybe I'm bias, but I think KB, Running, and Rowing are far less technical than barbells and weightlifting or gymnastics. Sure, there is a lot more than just the KB russian or american swing like TGU but for the bulk of CF, they just swing.

There really isn't a Nutrition cert right now. Another idea is the CFE/Pose cert. Sure. Or the Rowing cert.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

If I was ****ting money I would go to (in this order):

Kelly's mobility thing
The powerlifting cert at Westside Barbell
Tucker's gymnastics cert (and/or one of Gillian Mounsey's or Jim Bathurst's workshops)
Some nutrition gig with Robb Wolf (not the Sears cert)
Old 05-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
Craig Massey

Profile:

And as I said in one of the other topics Blair linked, if you want to be a better trainer, intend to head toward an L2 or will be training Kids, you really need to get to a CF Kids cert.
I was at the Kids cert that members of HQ attended and know how impressed they were with what they saw.

There's a reason the CF Kids cert is listed as recommended preparation for an L2 in the FAQ (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Certifications & Seminars21 (wfs)), they have huge value beyond just teaching CF to Kids.

Jeff and Mikki are fantastic teachers. They've been running the 4th CF Affiliate for over 6 years, Jeff is one of the few CF Coaches (the formal title, not just a CF Trainer) that exist in the world and they put all of that into the certs. They have kids at Brand X that have been training (and teaching) CF for longer than most people have known it exists.
The Kids cert goes way beyond teaching a young person how to squat, it teaches you how to teach CrossFit.

And yes, I am ranting slightly. I get very disappointed how often the Kids cert is overlooked as a source of information. I know how much value it has and I wish more people would take advantage of what Jeff and Mikki are sharing. The quality of coaching in CF in general would improve if they did.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Thanks all for the responses, I really like the CF community for this reason and hope to be able to give back to it for many years to come!

Craig, The kids cert is deff. on my list, just not doable logistically right now since they all seem to be in California

I'm doing the Oly cert with Josh Everett and went ahead and registered for the Gymnastics one with Jeff tucker. I am psyched!

In the near future, I will plan a trip out to Cali sometime I can catch both a Starett Mobility and Kid's cert.

Thanks again!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
Damon Stewart

Profile:

I've been to about every cert listed above but K-Starr's & Rips. Here's how I'd do it:

L1
Burg's O-lifting
CF Kids
L2

Then in any order I could:
Mobility
Rowing
CFE
Gymnastics
Powerlifting

As great as certs are it's certainly worth it to bring in local SME's as often as possible. We have a local RKC L2 (who runs a CF affiliate) who we bring in several times a year to brush up on our KS swings and the few other things KBs are good for. We also have a great local O-lifting coach who was also a nat'l champ rower. We recently hired a gymnastics coach to coach our coaches on basic progressions, spotting, etc.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

None of the certs are essential in my opinion except for Level 1.

To become a better coach - you must coach a lot first, then as you find gaps in your knowledge - bring them up.

If you see that your athletes movements suck due to their mobility etc - go to Kelly's or get a local guy/gal who knows mobility/pt really well.

If your athletes can't clean & snatch really well - go to Burgener's cert or find a local oly coach.

If [place the problem here] then [apply solution here].

That's my 2 cents. No way is wrong though - more knowledge that's being spread and applied is a good thing!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Zachary Bennett

Profile:

I did the starret course before it was actually a cert, and it was really beneficial. It really helps out with helping athletes recover and "limber" up. Starrett had me squatting to a place I didnt even know I could get.

And coach b's oly cert.. thats just a winner.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Anybody done Josh Everett's Oly cert?
Has anyone done this AND coach B's?
Any comparisons?
Old 05-07-2010, 03:28 AM   #10
Leon Robotham

Profile:

Ian

I've not done Josh Everetts cert so can't offer a comparison but I have done coach Bs and I can't say enough about how good it was. Not only was Coach B there but Sage, Casey and Natalie Woolfolk all had a hand in teaching which IMO is/was priceless.

If there was another Oly cert in the UK held by Coach B next week I'd find a way to make it.

With that being said, Josh Everett has always been an inspiration to me since starting CF. If I had the opportunity to be able to attend one of his certs i'd certainly jump at the chance.