CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #21
Ramsey Abdulrahim

Profile:
Re: Three-a-days possible with enough rest/food?

Katherine:

How can you crank up the intensity on lifts though? I mean if my current press 5RM is 140, I can do a 5x5 at 135 or maybe even 140, but beyond that, I'm not going to get the weight up, especially not for the prescribed reps.

And even if I can press 5x5 @ 185, I still don't think that would leave me in a state that a good metcon would.

Last edited by Ramsey Abdulrahim : 04-04-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #22
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey Abdulrahim View Post
Katherine:

How can you crank up the intensity on lifts though? I mean if my current press 5RM is 140, I can do a 5x5 at 135 or maybe even 140, but beyond that, I'm not going to get the weight up, especially not for the prescribed reps.

And even if I can press 5x5 @ 185, I still don't think that would leave me in a state that a good metcon would.
Just because lifting doesn't leave you out of breath and gasping on the floor, that doesn't mean it isn't intense. It just works different metabolic and CNS pathways.

Instead of a 5x5 press, how about a 20RM squat?

Katherine
Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #23
Albert Chang

Profile:

I never really counted the strength portion as a 3rd workout. But according to you, yeah I do three a day. I've got a somewhat complicated schedule, probably don't get enough sleep though. Here's what I do:

follow mainsite 1 week behind to program; follow 3 on, 1 off.
Strength train MWF. This can be anything from powerlifts, weightlifts, or something from westside.
I have a window Sunday-Tuesday where I can fit in CFE, but since I do rowing and running (at some point plan to add cycling and swimming), I only do two of the three days, as prescribed by their site. This is typically done 3 or so hours after the main workout to recover.
Typically after a workout, I'll do some gymnastics stuff from Coach Sommer's book. Warm-up for CFE is typically skill-related with more gymnastics stuff afterwards.

Total time to complete all workouts is just about 1 hour. Some days, if I'm really lucky, it'll be sub 10 minutes.

Rest always trumps workouts. So if my 1 rest day lands on MWF, the strength training is gone as well. Similar with CFE, rest day lands on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday, I won't do it, which is why I have that window.

Since right now I'm following different sites for the different parts of my program, coordinating can get pretty rough. So this is more of a basic template, and won't be followed 100%.

I might split away from the sites and start doing my own programming so I can give it even more structure/coordination, and add more movements (atlas stones, sandbag sprints, tire flips, along with more advanced gymnastic movements).

Burn out is something I encountered when I started this, but It doesn't seem to happen anymore. I would also say I only have 1.5 years of training. Before crossfit, I didn't do anything more than 1 mile runs, curls, push-ups, and sit-ups. I also didn't participate in any sports. I think I've been doing this for four months now? In those four months there have been only two days where I haven't set a new PR (in strength, metcons, or endurance). One was due to an injured thumb, the other was legitimately just couldn't hit a PR.

I don't think something like this really needs 5-10 years of training to get into. Something like sealfit needs a lot of experience.

Just my experience. I could be doing it all wrong, in which case I'll change it.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #24
Albert Chang

Profile:

I realize only two days a week I do three workouts/day, most days are only 1 workout/day.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #25
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:

just my 02 quickly here.

I do something similar to SS, also do a standard WOD and then Krav Maga training sometimes all in the one day but a lot of the time its just the two in the day just to be able to keep intensity up.

I am in between jobs at the moment tho and can sleep all i want and have a good supply of food.

That being said i have seen good results in a lot of areas. But you have to listen to your body.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:57 AM   #26
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

If you want to crank up the intensity of lifting, work up to a heavy single rep for the day, then back off and do sets of doubles and triples. I guarantee you won't be complaining about it being too easy then.

Like I said, most people doing three a days have 2 medium or light workouts (for them, not you) and 1 hard workout. When I trained twice a day with Olympic lifts, mornings would be my medium workouts because I just wasn't awake enough to lift the heaviest weights most days, or if I were fatigued both would be medium, if you look at the numbers.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:13 AM   #27
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

It's very possible. If you're a competitive CF'er at this point it's pretty much essential to be doing 2-a-days (or at least one longer session with combos of various work).
Old 04-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #28
Ramsey Abdulrahim

Profile:

Physically, I feel fine with a lot of volume. I rarely get too sore the next day. My question is am I not training efficiently with volume? And is recovery based more on actual calender time than on amounts of sleep/food?

I'll head the advice of Steven because he always seems to know what he's talking about and I'll take it easy over this week and next week and see if I feel sluggish as a result or if I see improvements.

I'm doing a Texas Method-style of lifting with BS & PP @ 5x5, HPC @ 5x3 on SAT, BP @ 3x5 and DL @ 2x5 on MON, BS & PP @ 1x3+ on WED. I'll be doing weighted pullups following the recon ron protocol and pushups following the hundredpushups.com protocol 3 times a week plus approx. 5-10 minutes worth of planks, flutterkicks, leg raises, isometric wall squats, and other core durability exercises mixed in a few times per week.

I'll do that for two weeks, then start bringing in CF Endurance @ 3-4 days/week as opposed to the scheduled 5-6.

It feels so weird spending only 10-15 minutes in the gym though and barely breaking a sweat (like today with the BP and the DL although the DL did wear me out a little for about 10 minutes). This almost can't be right but I'll see. Tell me if it looks good or not.

Also, for future reference, is it better to do 2x a day and maintain rest days or cut into rest days but don't work 2x a day? When I add CF Endurance, should I do it on the days I lift but hours later or do it on my off days?

Last edited by Ramsey Abdulrahim : 04-05-2010 at 11:56 AM.