CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Brittany Warren

Profile:
Nutrition is Hard

It probably isn't, really, but for some reason I am having a REALLY hard time with it.

Not with the eating properly bit. I LIKE eating "clean" foods. I've even managed to break my grain addiction over the last few weeks. I've learned to embrace vegetables, which, if you knew me IRL, you'd know is shift of seismic proportions from the girl I used to be.

Here's the hang up I'm having -- how much I'm supposed to be eating. I'm 5'8.5. I'm not naturally lean -- I've rowed or swam competitively my entire life, and even at my leanest (135, 18% BF as a college lightweight rower) I still carried a pooch of fat over my middle. I put on muscle very easily (a feature I love), and when I train consistently I'm pretty darn strong. I'm working my way back to that kind of shape right now -- I've been doing just the CF WODs for the last month, and Zone-ing.

I'm currently eating 14 blocks per day. I went with that because on Dr. Sears' website I calculated I'd need 12, and I added 2 for breastfeeding based on some threads I read on here. I thought that was going pretty well...until I started reading more threads in the nutrition section and the consensus seems to be that most chicks don't eat enough. I've been reading Melissa Byers' blog, and she eats WAY more than I do, and her performance wipes the floor with mine. But do I follow HER diet?

I'm losing weight right now, but that's only part of my goal. If my goals are to lose body fat (to 18% or so) and rock the WODs, how many calories should I be consuming? What's throwing an additional monkey-wrench in my koolaid is that next week I come of maternity leave, so I'll be back to doing Army PT in addition to the WODs. Should that impact how much I'm eating?

A typical day:

BF: 1 cup cottage cheese + almonds + fruit (or 2 eggs, ham and cheese)

L: Huge salad + 4.5oz of meat (turkey/ham or tuna)

S: Hummus + veggies or salad + meat or deli meat + cheese stick

D: Veggies + 5oz of protein (usually chicken or pork)

S: 1/4 cup cottage cheese + 1-2 tsp natural PB

This adds up to anywhere between 1400-1700 calories per day, according to fitday. I usually do the WODs right before dinner, so dinner is my PWO meal.

Can you guys help put me on the right track? Thanks hugely in advance. If I'm being way too much of an anal-retentive idiot, feel free to say so.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Nutrition is Hard

Where's the fat?

And no, don't do Melissa's diet b/c you are not Melissa...try her ideas and see if they work for you. Implement one thing at a time to see if it works.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Don't get caught up in someone else's diet. Melissa Byers may have a great diet, but it isn't necessarily the best diet for you. She probably has different body composition, different goals, and different metabolism, to name a few reasons.

Your current diet example looks fairly solid to me. How long have you been doing it and what results are you seeing? What's your activity?

If your goal is primarily fat loss and that is happening at no more 1-2 lbs per week, I'd stick with it. This is especially true if your WOD performance is continuing to improve. Obviously, keeping your little one fed is another major goal to keep track of. If your weight loss stalls or your goals change, then I'd reconsider your diet.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Maybe trying dropping the dairy and see what happens.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Laura Kurth

Profile:

1400 calories per day for a breastfeeding, crossfitting woman in my opinion is not nearly enough. Add to that you are 5'9 and carry a lot of muscle... I think you should eat a lot more. I don't think women who are breastfeeding should even consider the zone to be honest. Just eat a lot of good food.

I would say you should be eating 2,000 at the very least.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
Brittany Warren

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
And no, don't do Melissa's diet b/c you are not Melissa...try her ideas and see if they work for you. Implement one thing at a time to see if it works.
Yeah, that was kind of where I was coming from. I don't want to follow what works for someone else, necessarily, because it isn't just a one-size fits all kind of thing. Right?

I guess my point is that I don't know what changes to implement. Diet & nutrition have always been my stumbling blocks, and I feel like I sabotage myself with second guessing. (like now)

Oh, and sorry -- the fats are in the olive oil I either use in salad dressing or to cook the meat/eggs in.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Breastfeeding AND sleep-deprived (since all new parents are) AND Crossfitting? Eat more.

Katherine
Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Brittany Warren

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
1400 calories per day for a breastfeeding, CrossFitting woman in my opinion is not nearly enough. Add to that you are 5'9 and carry a lot of muscle... I think you should eat a lot more. I don't think women who are breastfeeding should even consider the zone to be honest. Just eat a lot of good food.

I would say you should be eating 2,000 at the very least.
This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thank you!

I'm losing weight, and certainly bodyfat on what I'm doing now. So it's working in that respect, but I have no idea if I'm indirectly harming my performance (or my little girl!) with what I'm doing. She's a healthy little munchkin, and I want to keep it that way. I also want to deadlift triple digits. Therein lies my neurosis, you feel me?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
Brittany Warren

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allen Hanson View Post
Your current diet example looks fairly solid to me. How long have you been doing it and what results are you seeing? What's your activity?
I've been following the Zone strictly since the 8th. I do the WOD 3-1. I'm out of shape, so I don't know if my fatigue is from the WOD's kick-assery or too few calories. My daughter is eating consistently and well, and she's getting chubbier.

Guys, I really appreciate your quick feedback. I'm going to up my calories to 2000 (what is that, like 18 blocks?) and see how that goes. Sorry if I'm coming off like a nutbar. I'm usually very sane. The Army trusts me with weapons and everything.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
Roelant Bergen

Profile:

I thought the fats you use to cook aren't necessarily counted....or did I miss that in one of the many updated zone books out there....