CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
Brian Doll

Profile:
Re: Cooking with a little heat...

My longtime favorite way to add a little spice is with olive oil infused with red pepper flakes. I use two small olive oil bottles w/ a cork top. I add red pepper flakes and olive oil and let them enjoy each others company for a while. I keep two bottles to allow one to steep longer, while I use the other.

I've also started to use *real* wasabi. I buy it in powder form, to which you add water to make a paste. This is great with steak and veggie type stir fry dishes.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #12
Duke McCall

Profile:

You guys are making me hungry. I think I will go home and eat some jalapenos with something.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
Nathan Warren

Profile:

I'm a big fan of curry powder, cayenne pepper, and cumin mixed together. About 2:1:1 in that order.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:

Our house is never without chipotles.

Also, whenever beef makes an appearance, fresh horseradish + a little sour cream is rarely too far away.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Bobby Flay has a BBQ chicken wing recipe using chipotle and an accompanying bleu cheese dip.....http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...ipe/index.html WFS

We use two-three pounds of chicken tenders....the BF used to eat the whole batch by himself before I came into the picture. Goes great with grilled green onions.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:44 AM   #16
Jared Lybbert

Profile:

My all time favorite gorging recipe for hot food is this:
Bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html(wfs)

-The downside.... this this is almost completely fat, and they are impossible to stop eating, throw in some whole milk to wash it down and... you get the idea, I can easily kill about 8 of the peppers in the course of an hour while drinking about a half gallon of milk to manage the heat.

Beef jerky has become a staple in my diet when looking for easy snacks.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html (wfs)
The box fan and air filter method WORKS, Ive been making batches of this stuff pretty much since i first saw the episode air, so a few years now, and Ive never had a bad experience with it.
Use this base recipe to add anything else you want, like more chili flakes, some chili seasonings, some A-1 sauce, or more cracked black pepper. Excellent recipe and easily scalable on the heat.

You can't go wrong with blue cheese dressing (homemade of course) with some hot chicken wings, and plenty of celery.

A good dish I like to make are Sausage and Cheese Stuffed Pablano Peppers:
1) char the outside of the poblanos, either by frying in some oil or over an open flame untill it at least blisters or turns black, place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let sit for about 10 minutes, it will steam itself in the bowl and the skin will just peel off leaving the flesh intact. Slit it open and remove the ribbing and seeds. Essentially these are the same steps to make a flame roasted red pepper.
2) Meanwhile, saute together sausauge, onion, garlic, add salt and pepper to taste. Mix it with a fair amount of cheese. This will be the pepper filling.
3) Stuff the pepper with the filling, if you have access to a fryer you can dip the pepper in a tempura batter and fry it. Or the easier way is just stuff it, throw it in the oven untill it all heats up and eat it.
4) good compliments to this are
-pico de gillo (nothing but carbs)
-Guacamole ( mainly consists of fat from the avocado)
-sour cream, fat

Another variation of this are hamburger stuffed bell peppers (4 block meal)
- no need to get the skin off, just throw the halved pepper in the microwave for a minute or two to let it get soft.
- saute hamburger(3oz), half of a chopped white onion, and garlic. season with salt and pepper and/or your favorite chili spice mix. Mix in one cup of chopped tomatoes into the mix.
- stuff the halved peppers with the mix, cover with cheddar cheese(1oz) and bake untill the cheese is melted. If you have any mix left over, eat it.
- meanwhile steam some brocolli(2 cups) in the microwave, toss with 1TBSP of butter.

Otherwise what I like to do is go to hooters and have them bottle up their 9-11 sauce, its their hottest sauce and they do not sell it in grocery stores, which is how i got them to sell it to me. Last time I did this they filled up a big styrofoam cup (about 3 cups worth) full of this stuff, and charged me about five bucks for it.
its lasted me months and I throw it into all sorts of foods.

Legnthy post, but enjoy!

Last edited by Jared Lybbert : 01-08-2009 at 01:48 AM.