CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-29-2008, 01:00 AM   #21
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Re: ***** Kimbo Bring On Brock

I'm pretty sure Kimbo would beat up Sean Gannon now. He's gotten better, not worse.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #22
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

He didn't look any better in his last fight. If that guy's freakish ear hadn't burst, I think he would have lost
Old 06-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #23
George Heckert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
He was a dominant HW champ before shattering his leg in a car accident. Ever since then he hasn't been the same. But Mir's jujitsu is top notch.
Dominant champ? The guy never defended his title once. He broke his leg before he could defend the title, which was vacated and won by Andre Arlovski. I'm not saying Frank Mir is not a good fighter, because he is and has better jiu jitsu than most heavyweights. I'm saying that to be a dominant champion you have to defend your title. It is unfortunate that he didn't get the chance. He has definitely looked better in his past two fights, even though he beat two relatively inexperienced fighters. I am definitely looking forward to seeing how he fares against an elite HW like Noguiera. Should be a technical ground fight.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #24
George Heckert

Profile:

Quote:
He didn't look any better in his last fight. If that guy's freakish ear hadn't burst, I think he would have lost
I agree. He was getting owned for the whole fight and got a very questionable stoppage. That referee was terrible.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 AM   #25
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Heckert View Post
Dominant champ? The guy never defended his title once. He broke his leg before he could defend the title, which was vacated and won by Andre Arlovski. I'm not saying Frank Mir is not a good fighter, because he is and has better jiu jitsu than most heavyweights. I'm saying that to be a dominant champion you have to defend your title. It is unfortunate that he didn't get the chance. He has definitely looked better in his past two fights, even though he beat two relatively inexperienced fighters. I am definitely looking forward to seeing how he fares against an elite HW like Noguiera. Should be a technical ground fight.
Most experts agree had he not been injured he would have gone a run, the HW division back then was pretty weak. I love TIm Slyvia, but he's not even a serious contender anymore and he was champ for a couple years. He got lucky to be champ in a time in which he had very weak competition.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #26
Tim Luby

Profile:

Lesnar is a beast and he's going to be great. He won't get caught again like he was vs. Mir. Kimbo doesn't stand a chance.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #27
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

I would be really surprised if he got caught again by such a move. You don't become the best amatuer wrestler in America by making lots of mistakes.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #28
James Besenyei

Profile:

He'll learn. The guy's a pro. He's in it to be great at something again, to be a warrior, and not just a guy wearing tights in a circus act (Professional Wrestling). Before Mir caught him Lesnar was dominating. He's got so much more upside and potential than Kimbo they're not even in the same ballpark. War Lesnar, war Randy fighting Fedor (probably won't happen but a guy can dream), war Arlovski getting some love from a different organization.

...Oh yeah, I second what Phillip said above.

Last edited by James Besenyei : 06-30-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #29
Celio Silva

Profile:

Quote:
I would be really surprised if he got caught again by such a move. You don't become the best amatuer wrestler in America by making lots of mistakes.
I wouldn't be surprised at all. That's the beauty of this sport, anybody can get caught by any move (grappling OR striking) at any time. This is regardless of how good anyone is. Just think how the world's best grapplers are always submiting each other at any given tournament or practice. Plus, despite how athletic Lesnar is he's still light years behind when it comes to fighting, particularly grappling.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #30
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Getting armbarred and choked isn't the same as an ankle lock. The ankle lock is a move most veteran grapplers rarely get caught.