CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #11
Andres Gordo

Profile:
Re: ***** Kimbo Bring On Brock

I'm with Jason, Kimbo is older than most of these guys and for about 1 year training he is doing good. Now is time to match him up to a bigger guy.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #12
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

Honestly I think they both have tons of potential. Brock Lesnar is a natural athelete with tons of amateur wrestling experience and NCAA credits to his name. Kimbo is a tough son of a ***ch who is currently training under Bas Rutten. He can throw a mean punch and has an iron chin as well. With the right direction and dedication I believe that either one of them can do very well in MMA. Kimbo seriously needs to work on his ground defence and his striking, though powerful, still looks very amateurish. Brock lesnar had one MMA fight and was put in with a former world champ for his first fight in the UFC and now has to fight Heath Herring! Talk about being thrown into the deep end. But Judging from his performance against Mir, He should do quite well agaist Herring as well, I'm not convinced he'll win because Herring has so much more experience, but don't forget that Mir's ankle lock was an act of desparation because he was about to loose that fight and only had one hope left. In a fight between Slice and Lesnar I'd definitely have to go with Lesnar
Old 06-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Brock would definently beat Kimbo as of right now. Kimbo simply does not have the experience that Brock has. Brock is a high level wrestler, he would take Kimbo down in 1/2 a second. Kimbo was a street fighter, although he must have great genes, he is the cousin of an olympian..... That does not mean Kimbo is a bad fighter, it means he needs more experience and training. Brock Lesnar is not new to athletic competition, he has years and years of wrestling. Wrestlers are often called the best conditioned athletes in the world. You don't get called that unless you are in seriously good shape.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
Shane Rapp

Profile:

I'm not impressed with Kimbo. True, he's only been training MMA for about a year and a half, but he's been doing it full time and he's been in a lot of street fights, or at least bare knuckle fights. So it's not like he didn't have some experience in fighting. He was supposed to have good KO power but even when he hit Thompson (who is well known to have a glass jaw) square on the button repeatedly with his hardest shots Thompson still stood. His conditioning was poor, his TD defense was practically non-existent, and his ground game was sorely lacking. He's lucky the ref favored the crap out of him or it would've been the end of the myth of Kimbo Slice as a legitimate HW contender.

Considering how he's billed himself, how EliteXC is marketing him, and what he's being paid, he deserves every bit of heat and criticism he's getting.

Lesnar on the other hand, has undisputable world class athleticism. With 6 months experience he made his debut against a former UFC champ who, though not as good as he was before his accident, is still a good fighter. Lesnar wasn't exactly impressive either but it looks like he has a lot of potential.

If we saw Lesnar vs Slice right now I have no doubts that Lesnar would destroy Kimbo unless Kimbo gets another crooked ref to help him out. Even when they both have another year or two of experience I don't see any reason to think it'd be different. Dana White is known for not wanting to put on matches with other organizations anymore, but, in this case, I think he'd be smart to make Lesnar vs Slice happen. Elite already has a lot of exposure since they're on CBS so it's not like he'd be turning more fans on to them. Considering Brock would likely tear up Kimbo and make Elite look illegitimate it'd be a smart business move.

Last edited by Shane Rapp : 06-23-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #15
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Lesnar vs Slice and Serra vs Hughes. The best fight card ever
Old 06-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #16
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

I'd like to see BJ Vs. Pierre.

I think there are way too many Kimbo haters. He has sledgehammer fists. Imagine what his ground and pound would be like.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #17
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Kimbo, must be out of his mind if he thinks he can hang with Lesnar, not only is Lesnar bigger, and stronger, he's in a whole other league over Kimbo. When Lesnar fought Mir, one of the best big jujitsu guys in MMA, who's career got derailed due to a life threatening motorcycle accident, he punished Mir, but got caught in a ankle lock, that was a rookie mistake. Kimbo looked old and tired, and woefully under prepared and out matched on the ground against a kickboxer with an .500 record. If you've been training with Bas Rutten for a year, and you're getting outclassed in ground fighting with a mediocre kickboxer, then something is wrong.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:25 AM   #18
George Heckert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Elliott View Post
Brock went in there and fought one of the besh HW of all times. Kimbo fights a bunch of cans and has a reff who was eather paid off or is just plain stupid.

Discuss
Are you serious? Frank Mir one of the greatest?! He's pretty good, but he has to do a lot more to be put in a class with guys like Randy Couture, Fedor, Noguiera,and Josh Barnett. Breaking Tim Sylvia's arm 3 years ago was impressive, but not enough for GOAT status.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #19
Justin Lascek

Profile:

I haven't seen Kimbo fight professionally, but keep in mind that he wasn't conditioned at all for that street fight against Sean Gannon. Not saying he's a good MMA fighter (I wouldn't know), but if Gannon had any kind of training then, it would make sense that he could out last Kimbo (if memory serves me right, Kimbo simply couldn't continue because he was so gassed).
Old 06-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #20
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Heckert View Post
Are you serious? Frank Mir one of the greatest?! He's pretty good, but he has to do a lot more to be put in a class with guys like Randy Couture, Fedor, Noguiera,and Josh Barnett. Breaking Tim Sylvia's arm 3 years ago was impressive, but not enough for GOAT status.
He was a dominant HW champ before shattering his leg in a car accident. Ever since then he hasn't been the same. But Mir's jujitsu is top notch.