CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-04-2016, 05:27 AM   #161
Diana Alt

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Open 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Railsback View Post
I would think that hang cleans, that start from the floor would be allowed. Doing a hang clean that starts with a DL does not give a serious athlete an advantage over a traditional (squat) clean from the floor. Unlike using small plates for bar over burpees that does give an advantage.
By definition, if you begin the clean from the hang, you haven't started it from the floor since the clean is a single fluid lift. It's not the same type of obvious competitive advantage as small plates on the burpees, but for many athletes the hang clean is more comfortable at high weight. I wouldn't risk this as a serious athlete.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #162
Beth Martino

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Alt View Post
By definition, if you begin the clean from the hang, you haven't started it from the floor since the clean is a single fluid lift. It's not the same type of obvious competitive advantage as small plates on the burpees, but for many athletes the hang clean is more comfortable at high weight. I wouldn't risk this as a serious athlete.
Well, the range of motion is the same, presuming every rep starts from the floor. The workout gives 3 points/requirements where the standards must be met - 1) the rep starts with the bar on the floor 2) the athlete passes through a squat below parallel 3) the rep finishes with the athlete at full extension in a front rack with elbows in front of the bar. I do see where you are coming from in a more formal competition setting, but for the Open? They are often pretty accommodating on the standards to allow for all types of techniques to be acceptable (as evidenced to me this time around by specifically allowing a power clean + front squat). To me it's a little bit like the burpee.. starts with chest on the ground, take off with two feet, finishes on the other side of the bar. How you go down and get back up doesn't matter.

In any case, I tweeted the question at them. We'll see if they respond.

Last edited by Beth Martino : 03-04-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:12 AM   #163
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Is someone is going to deadlift and hang clean all the reps at their affiliate then I cannot see how that matters........at all.

ROM is the same as a full squat clean. I seriously doubt any of these people would be putting up a score where a problem will arise.

With Beth on this one. And really, what does it matter ?
Old 03-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #164
Steven Ngo

Profile:

i think the key is each rep starts from the floor.

so you can
deadlift -> hang -> clean -> squat -> stand
etc.

but you can't
hang -> clean -> squat -> stand
hang -> clean -> squat -> stand
etc.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #165
Diana Alt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Martino View Post

In any case, I tweeted the question at them. We'll see if they respond.
Please do post here if you hear back! I am leading judging on the floor for a friday night lights event that is expecting 60+ athletes so I'm sure that group will be interested.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #166
Steven Ngo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Spaight View Post
Ouch. Dan Bailey and his judge miscounted his squat cleans in the 4th round so he only did 8 of the required 9.

That's a bummer...
damn that sucks. i can't believe no one else there was counting along to at least give him a heads up.

(wfs) http://games.crossfit.com/announceme...leys-162-score

Quote:
Dan Bailey completed only 8 of the 9 required squat cleans at 275 lb. He and his appointed judge both miscounted the score in the fourth round before Dan went on to complete the remaining reps at 19:49. Because of the judging error, Dan's score has been withheld from the Leaderboard at his request.
good man, Dan!
Old 03-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #167
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Because Dan is an animal and likely was going to redo it anyways I think he will be fine and likely do better the second time out.

They could have just taken a rep away from his score. 1 clean at 275 > 1 clean at 315, that would be more than fair.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #168
Steven Ngo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
Because Dan is an animal and likely was going to redo it anyways I think he will be fine and likely do better the second time out.

They could have just taken a rep away from his score. 1 clean at 275 > 1 clean at 315, that would be more than fair.
i'd like to think that they did offer something like that, but Dan being Dan just said "heck with it, load up the bars again!"
Old 03-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #169
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I predict 16.2 winners will be Sara Sigmundsdottir and Mat Fraser.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:35 PM   #170
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post

The only problem is that he finished* the workout so his score was a time. If you take 1 rep away, what would his score be then? It would be hard to quantify.