CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #71
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Renegade Diet

Darryl, these Diets are Fat Loss Diets, not weight loss diets. There is a difference. Yes, if you eat more than your maintenance, you will get fat. No sh*t.

This is just a way of manipulating your calories and carbs for when you need them the most. If you don't agree with it, I don't care. I've tried several diets in the past and Carb Backloading and Renegade Diet work much better for me than anything else that I have tried before. These diets aren't miracle diets, but they work better than others. For the life of me I don't understand why you have to stick your nose in things that you don't like. No one is asking for your opinion on this, so why don't you start your own thread and bash all of these "Fad Diets" if you want.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #72
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
I have personally lost weight on 4000+ cals daily, even with little to no exercise. There is way too much at play to only consider calories.
Weight doesn't matter in the short term because water weight can fluctuate many 2-5 pounds over a few days. Measuring fat even Dexa couldn't be relied on as accuracy is around +/- 1.5%. Maybe an MRI if you want to go to that trouble. So you have to look over the long term, and over the long term eating a thousand calories over maintenance will cause fat gain. All studies show this.

There are various hormonal factors involved, that speed or slow the process but in my knowledge and experience don't reverse it.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #73
Michael Lennox

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
That's just nonsense. If you eat to excess you will get fat regardless of how low your initial BF% is.
Its not nonsense. Has to do with your bodys insulin sensitivity and ability to partition cals to muscle or fat. Higher body fat the body is more likely to store the excess cals as fat.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #74
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
Weight doesn't matter in the short term because water weight can fluctuate many 2-5 pounds over a few days. Measuring fat even Dexa couldn't be relied on as accuracy is around +/- 1.5%. Maybe an MRI if you want to go to that trouble. So you have to look over the long term, and over the long term eating a thousand calories over maintenance will cause fat gain. All studies show this.

There are various hormonal factors involved, that speed or slow the process but in my knowledge and experience don't reverse it.
17lbs lost in 2 months while all workouts and lifts improved. I said weight because I understand that I lost water in that. But my loss was definitely fat. Sadly there are no studies comparing over feeding low carb high fat to over feeding a balanced or high carb diet to my knowledge. Hopefully these studies will happen in the future.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:04 AM   #75
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
17lbs lost in 2 months while all workouts and lifts improved. I said weight because I understand that I lost water in that. But my loss was definitely fat. Sadly there are no studies comparing over feeding low carb high fat to over feeding a balanced or high carb diet to my knowledge. Hopefully these studies will happen in the future.
High fat and low-carb diets have been shown to cause weight gain just the same as low fat and high-carb, in a controlled setting.

I can`t tell you exactly what you experienced in retrospect, however it is most likely not what you think happened.

Exercise and timing help with partitioning, sequestering calories for one use over another.

Some calories in heavy high fat meals aren't digested, and are just passed through. There is a limit to what can be absorbed but the body is pretty efficient at doing it. Some foods can interfere with fat absorption to some degree.

Also if you switched from a high carb to a high fat diet it could take a few days for your body to adjust enzymes to maximize fat absorption.

But I doubt this would be more than 10%, a few hundred calories in most people.

But there are also several sources of error possible in counting intake and also in estimating your maintenance after activity and afterburn. Being off 20% on each which is not uncommon in a non-controlled setting and a cumulative 40% error. So you may have thought you were eating more than you needed, but actually eating less. Probably this.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #76
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

I don't mind the morning fast anymore at all. Don't even really think about it until like an hour before I get to eat, even with my AM cardio. I've been doing it for almost two weeks now and doing GSLP for about a month and a half. A few people at the gym were worried about this diet and me not doing WODs and focusing on strength. I ended up doing Fran yesterday, 9 second PR.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #77
Tom Stepp

Profile:

I workout fasted at 5:30 AM , typical Box WOD, mainly conditioning some strength.M/Tue/Thu/Fri.
Rest days are Wed. and Sun.
My first meal is 12/12:30
I "try" to eat again about 4
I work out at 5:30 PM for about an 1 1/2 hrs, OLY, M/Tue/Thu/Sat.
My last meal is about 8. In bed by 9

I'm not losing. I'm gaining! Clothes still feel the same but 8 lbs! Not my goal.
Started at about 23-25%. No idea currently.
Help please
Old 06-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #78
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stepp View Post
I workout fasted at 5:30 AM , typical Box WOD, mainly conditioning some strength.M/Tue/Thu/Fri.
Rest days are Wed. and Sun.
My first meal is 12/12:30
I "try" to eat again about 4
I work out at 5:30 PM for about an 1 1/2 hrs, OLY, M/Tue/Thu/Sat.
My last meal is about 8. In bed by 9

I'm not losing. I'm gaining! Clothes still feel the same but 8 lbs! Not my goal.
Started at about 23-25%. No idea currently.
Help please
How much do you weigh? How many calories are you having? You should be doing your body weight x 12 for your average daily calories. Your primary goal right now should be to get under 15% BF, so you should g be going crazy with the carbs.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #79
Tom Stepp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
How much do you weigh? How many calories are you having? You should be doing your body weight x 12 for your average daily calories. Your primary goal right now should be to get under 15% BF, so you should g be going crazy with the carbs.
55 year old. 222 lbs. 2700-2800k per day
Old 06-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #80
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Darryl, these Diets are Fat Loss Diets, not weight loss diets. There is a difference. Yes, if you eat more than your maintenance, you will get fat. No sh*t.

This is just a way of manipulating your calories and carbs for when you need them the most. If you don't agree with it, I don't care. I've tried several diets in the past and Carb Backloading and Renegade Diet work much better for me than anything else that I have tried before. These diets aren't miracle diets, but they work better than others.
Manipulating calories and carbohydrates in a hypocaloric diet has no significant effect on the rate of fat oxidation or weight loss (excluding glycogen and water) over time.

Quote:
For the life of me I don't understand why you have to stick your nose in things that you don't like. No one is asking for your opinion on this, so why don't you start your own thread and bash all of these "Fad Diets" if you want.
If you believe I am out of line posting in what you appear to perceive as 'your' thread, or have breached the Acceptable Use Policy in some way, report the post and the moderators will deal with your complaint as they see fit.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 06-27-2013 at 12:47 PM.