CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #61
Craig Horstman

Profile:
Re: Renegade Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Did you drop any Body Fat? Jason recommends getting under 15% bodyfat before trying to bulk up because if you are under 15% BF, it is harder to get fat when you bulk.
yes I did. the only way I have to calculate is by the army body fat measurements and I have a pinch thing. by the army I dropped about 3 percent putting me at about 16 or so. I know the army's system is off, so i'm figuring i'm actually around 13-14.
Quote:
I've only worked out at 8AM and at 4PM and I have no problem at all. How do you feel when you workout at 4PM? Either way, you shouldn't be feeling like that at all. DO you have anything before you workout at 4?
I worked out one morning at about 5:30 (5 mile run followed by a 10 min ladder of 1 dl@185, 1 parallette pass through w/pushup and dip, 2 and 2, and so on. made it to 7 rounds+8dl's) on nothing but some coffee and it actually felt pretty good. not something i'm going to do regularly, but I was pretty surprised.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #62
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Jason recommends getting under 15% bodyfat before trying to bulk up because if you are under 15% BF, it is harder to get fat when you bulk.
That's just nonsense. If you eat to excess you will get fat regardless of how low your initial BF% is.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #63
Michael Dries

Profile:

Countless S&C coaches and body builders have recommended to not begin bulking when you're already a fat(ter) person.

Less body fat = reduced aromatise activation from the fat cells = more free testosterone = better recovery/muscle protein synthesis and less body fat gain when you eat at a caloric excess.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #64
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
Countless S&C coaches and body builders have recommended to not begin bulking when you're already a fat(ter) person.

Less body fat = reduced aromatise activation from the fat cells = more free testosterone = better recovery/muscle protein synthesis and less body fat gain when you eat at a caloric excess.
None of those things matter. Don't you understand change in Energy = Ein - Eout. That is all that matters, nothing else is at play, not macronutrients, not sleep, not hormones. Simply if you eat more than you exercise you will get FAT.

........... sorry I couldn't resist, I think someone is going to make a similar argument and be serioius about it.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #65
Joseph Regan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
None of those things matter. Don't you understand change in Energy = Ein - Eout. That is all that matters, nothing else is at play, not macronutrients, not sleep, not hormones. Simply if you eat more than you exercise you will get FAT.

........... sorry I couldn't resist, I think someone is going to make a similar argument and be serioius about it.
Well kinda. Dont discount the power of hormones. proper hormone balance will change everything.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #66
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Regan View Post
Well kinda. Dont discount the power of hormones. proper hormone balance will change everything.
I was being facetious, IMO hormones, macros, and sleep are more influential than calories alone.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #67
Joseph Regan

Profile:

Oh my bad LMAO. I didnt want to start a fight so i just chimed in on the hormone thing. LOl
Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #68
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
That's just nonsense. If you eat to excess you will get fat regardless of how low your initial BF% is.
If you say so.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #69
Rob Darden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Truth! If you eat over maintenance you will put on fat. Eating slightly over maintenance the rate will be so slow you might not notice for a couple months. Eating well over maintenance and you could put on 20lbs in a month. I am talking from experience.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #70
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Darden View Post
Truth! If you eat over maintenance you will put on fat. Eating slightly over maintenance the rate will be so slow you might not notice for a couple months. Eating well over maintenance and you could put on 20lbs in a month. I am talking from experience.
I have personally lost weight on 4000+ cals daily, even with little to no exercise. There is way too much at play to only consider calories.