CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #271
Steve Loeding

Profile:
Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit

Myself, my trainers and my athletes stand behind CrossFit and Coach 100%. This movement does not have a monetary value attached to it. We are allowed to practice CrossFit as we please and every gym is unique - just like CrossFit. We will NOT be a part of Anthos takeover... we will leave and follow Coach to whatever new company he starts.

Thank you Coach and CrossFit staff for everything you do.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #272
Lisa Ray

Profile:

Greg gave us a vision of how a life could change so much for the better, so simply. CrossFit was the path that allowed SO many of us, as affiliate owners, coaches, and athletes to have the freedom and ability to change our lives and multitudes of others. It cut away all the fluff and excess and took us back to the simple foundations and allowed us to be unique in our approach, but united in purpose.

That vision and that template for health and fitness has been one of the most profound changes in our time. In the face of seemingly insurmountable obstacles of incredibly poor health and stagnant fitness models today, Greg has led, provoked, and inspired. THAT is how he has changed the face of fitness. THAT is why we stand alongside him, fighting to keep that vision alive. Fighting for the FREEDOM to continue to carry that torch forward, to continue to do it as individuals in innovation and design, but continued solidarity for the sole purpose of improving lives all around us - simply.

CrossFit Flagstaff and Mike and Lisa Ray, stand in that united front of affiliates who have a CHOICE.

Thank you, Greg.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #273
Steve Loeding

Profile:

BTW - we started our gym just like Greg - in a martial arts gym - and we have stayed there, thanks to Rick Faye (owner of Minnesota Kali Group) - literally I have followed in his steps - start small, buy what you need, grow because people love it and see results. I started with 4 people and now have approx 80 - not huge but a fantastic group of people. And the CrossFit name works - People are starting to notice CrossFit and the name is a brand. I love it and the power it has to bring people to my gym. I may never be "successful" in regards to having 200 members but sometimes smaller is better. I would love to meet Greg someday and thank him for not only changing my life but getting me away from the usual globo gym model.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 PM   #274
Susannah Dy

Profile:

I am not much with words.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030667.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	9615

This is a photo of my family working together to put together and install a rig in our Affiliate this evening. Everything and everyone in that photo has been made better because of CrossFit, the CrossFit Community and Coach. I cannot fully describe my gratitude of being able to stand with my fellow team members and community except to say Thank You.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #275
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
What is Lulu Lemon?
A fruit from the galapagos?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #276
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Every expression of support on this thread echoes the sentiments of at least 100 other affiliates and trainers.

CrossFit Not For Sale!!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #277
Brian De Mio

Profile:

I have some questions and opinions regarding this topic. Iím not an affiliate but have a vested interest as a client in this program. My ignorance in business matters is relatively high so if these questions appear redundant or out of place please understand.

1. What is the difference between Crossfit working with Reebok versus Anthos? How is Reebok associated? Do they have any controlling interest? Are they not both looking to make a profit? This country runs on Capitalism so it makes sense that a company that wants to invest into a company has an expectation to get a return on their investment.

2. What is assumed if Anthos gets 50% of the controlling share? Affiliates annual fee would increase thus my monthly fee? Direction would be given to change the way we the client works out? Affiliates would be forced to change their personal work ethic? Buy supplements, material, and equipment they donít want? Did or does Reebok have the ability to make this happen? (I assume they donít have controlling shares?)
a. As a side question to #2 after having read the boards, Do you assume as an affiliate that Anthosí expectation after taking 50% control would force you the affiliate to increase their profit margin by providing to the consumer these products and supplements without your consent?

4. Hypothetically lets say Anthos gets 50% controlling stock, and most of the affiliate owners still have their ďcontractĒ with Crossfit, would they have the power to tell the affiliate who wants to drop the name that your business belongs to them? (assuming its now a franchise?)

5. My understanding of Crossfit affiliate means you pay them money every year to keep a name. Other than that the business model is pretty much up to you correct? Have any of the affiliate owners contacted a lawyer to determine their rights under this agreement and what options you have? Personally my opinion on this matter is that if you own a business and do not have personal legal counsel then you donít understand what it means to own a business. No offense to Coach Glassman, his team, or affiliate owners but I donít think it is enough to let them fight this battle and the affiliate wait for ďcome what mayĒ. Sounding off on a message board is all well and good but how well protected are you legally and what do you folks do about it?
a. If you are not worried about this I would suggest you think about the guy that sued the affiliate after developing Rhabdomyolosis. Granted itís a different scenario but in the legal world you can get sued for just about anything. Is there a potential for Anthos to be able to sue an affiliate who decides to drop the Crossfit name for example?

6. I donít personally know much, if anything, about the Glassmanís nor is it my business but thinking from a personal point of view I believe most of us have a greedy nature in that we want to make money, do well, and receive recognition for our accomplishments. Itís not necessarily a bad thing to want to profit from your experience, knowledge, or whatever. This is an interesting quandary as you have two people of differing opinions, equal partners in a business, and going through a divorce at the same time. For each of them this is a personal matter better left resolved between the two of them. Unfortunately you the affiliate (and we the client) are being thrust into this based on the future of Crossfit. Each of those partners wants to profit whether it be through monetary gain, recognition, or advancement of future goals etc. Ultimately the courts will decide. Why not look for the end result of every possible scenario, make a plan, consult your lawyer, and know where you stand in the end?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #278
Camille Lore

Profile:  

The vision and leadership of Greg Glassman created CrossFit that completely changed my health and who I am. From his leadership and CrossFit I and tens of thousands of others have either started to exercise or changed our exercise in a way that makes us stronger, more fit and healthy while allowing more time to spend living life. No more mind numbing hours on a treadmill-instead, a 20 minute hard as hell workout and then off to live life.
Additionally, those thousands have stopped eating crap food and ingesting chemicals. That is a huge, broad change in peoples' health over a large population. I cringe to think what I was doing to myself just by my eating habits before CrossFit. CrossFit isn't selling anything but the real deal today and I wouldn't want to see it any other way.

I certainly want no part of a program that is profit driven versus driven by really and substantially changing peoples' lives. I stand with Coach Glassman and our affiliates!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #279
Tony Budding

Profile:

I met Greg and Lauren Glassman in May of 2004 when I became a client at the original CrossFit Santa Cruz. Like many, I wasn't quite sure what to make of this unusual gym in two bays of a light industrial warehouse. The impact of the training, though, was near immediate, and I knew they were on to something.

In those days, all the operations of CrossFit were in Santa Cruz: The gym, the web publishing, the seminars, the Journal, even shipping the t-shirts. For the two years we were all in Santa Cruz, I spent as much time with them as I could, and learned so much about fitness, training, community and running a successful business.

Gravity existed before Isaac Newton, but he was the first to describe it in a measurable way, which obviously changed the world. Fitness existed before Greg Glassman, but he was the first to describe it in a way that allowed the world to begin optimizing it. Weightlifting, gymnastics, calisthenics and even combinations of them existed long before Greg wrote What is Fitness in September 2002 (published Oct 1). But no one understood the implications of constantly varying the high power output of functional movements as it applies to human work capacity in all its domains before Greg. Greg is THAT GUY.

In July of 2005, Greg asked me (and Nicole Carroll) to be the first affiliate director when there were 13 affiliates worldwide. This trend of people wanting to start their own CrossFit gyms seemed to be catching on, and he and Lauren thought it needed greater attention than they alone could provide. "Be a support to them. Be their friend," was Greg's original affiliate mandate.

Since then, Greg and I have had hundreds (thousands?) of hours of discussions about the affiliate program, CrossFit's theoretical and practical foundations, the evolution of the business, and now of course the purpose, focus and direction of CrossFit media. Over the years, CrossFit Inc's infrastructure has made several major paradigm shifts as we've grown. In fact, it was after witnessing Greg's ability to adapt the internal structure of the business when needed that I decided to jump in full time on just a handshake. The brilliance of the fitness protocol combined with the willingness and ability to adapt to growth made me confident enough to put all my eggs into the CrossFit basket. Hell, we were up to 20 affiliates already!

So many things have changed since then, but not the principles, intent and orientation of the fitness protocols and training, the development of the community, and the affiliate program. Today, CrossFit offers the world's only measurable definition of fitness (and continues to refine the definition as the opportunity arises), supports the global CrossFit community, provides world-class training and seminars in fitness and human movement, spreads the word and educates the masses through increasing quantities of free web content, and vigorously defends the brand name for all of us against IP theft.

This is all possible (and enormously successful) with the current model of maximum freedom, minimum insertion, and the smallest possible licensing fees. There are many business "experts" out there offering "improvements" in our model: Ways to make more money, take advantage of the huge numbers of affiliates, quality control the so-called "bad affiliates" who are "going to destroy our reputation." They say Greg doesn't know what he's doing since he's leaving so much money on the table and always has. These arguments were made in 2005 when there were 15 affiliates, and they're still being made today.

CrossFit is doing great with Greg at the helm and with our full commitment to improving human movement, building and supporting the community, maximum freedom, and minimum insertion into the lives and businesses of the affiliates. We may not be the most profitable corporation on the planet, but we are the best community on the planet. We're having a blast and changing the world one athlete and one client at a time. I couldn't be prouder or work harder to defend who we are and what we're doing.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #280
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
There is no question here, I and my team stand united with Greg Glassman and the CrossFit community.

Bill
Yep, what Bill said.