CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Bob Herald

Profile:
Neck frequency

Hey guys, I have been training my neck for a few months now. It started during GSLP and I did neck harness ( 4 sets of 25) every workout. Now I'm on 531, and I still keep up with it. I've gained an inch on my neck and my traps and shoulders are noticeably bigger. I also do neck bridges whenever I can throughout the week and throw in db shrugs one day a week . I usually so something for the neck every workout. My question is, what is ideal for neck training. To hit it hard one or two days a week or more frequency and lower volume?

In case anyone's wondering about the reason, I do muay Thai and jiujitsu. Strong neck = less KO's
Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Tom Lapaglia

Profile:
Re: Neck frequency

Not in Brock Lesnars case
Old 04-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Matt Rexin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
Hey guys, I have been training my neck for a few months now. It started during GSLP and I did neck harness ( 4 sets of 25) every workout. Now I'm on 531, and I still keep up with it. I've gained an inch on my neck and my traps and shoulders are noticeably bigger. I also do neck bridges whenever I can throughout the week and throw in db shrugs one day a week . I usually so something for the neck every workout. My question is, what is ideal for neck training. To hit it hard one or two days a week or more frequency and lower volume?

In case anyone's wondering about the reason, I do muay Thai and jiujitsu. Strong neck = less KO's
My first question would be what your goals are for neck. It sounds like you are training it for martial arts. Any wrestler will tell you that neck bridges are an integral part of building the neck up. Those can be done pretty much every day.
Dedicated neck training you can probably continue with the higher frequency, lower volume if that is not effecting your recovery time. There are lots of great videos of wrestling bridges and some pretty phenomenal no hands bridges.
http://rosstraining.com/blog/2010/05...-neck-harness/ wfs This is a cheap to make neck harness.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Matt Rexin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lapaglia View Post
To be fair, that last fight was via roundhouse to the kidneys and a monster knee to the body earlier in the fight.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Bob Herald

Profile:

Quote:
Haha true. I do notice a difference now Wheni get punched. But let's be hones here, I'm not getting punched by Cain Velasquez
Old 04-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Bob Herald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rexin View Post
My first question would be what your goals are for neck. It sounds like you are training it for martial arts. Any wrestler will tell you that neck bridges are an integral part of building the neck up. Those can be done pretty much every day.
Dedicated neck training you can probably continue with the higher frequency, lower volume if that is not effecting your recovery time. There are lots of great videos of wrestling bridges and some pretty phenomenal no hands bridges.
http://rosstraining.com/blog/2010/05...-neck-harness/ wfs This is a cheap to make neck harness.
Thanks Matt . We do bridges in jiujitsu also. And I have a harness I've been using . I guess what what I was getting at is Monday I did 4 sets of neck harness and bridges at training. My neck was so sore it hurt for 2 days. Will I get more growth hitting it hard like this, or doing a little each day??

Im looking for strength and thickness in the neck
Old 04-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Dan Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Brock Lesner has never been knocked out. Just sayin...
Old 04-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Bob Herald

Profile:

His colon got knocked out.. Juuuust kidding lol