CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-07-2005, 03:51 AM   #1
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
All fellow crosfit swimmers check these out, just saw them 5 minutes ago on tv and found the web site

shinfin.com

An aussie invention :-) no more having to take fins off to do exercise-Swim Circuits,you could probaly even run, no more undue ankle stress, or cramps due to tight fins or over flexing. Better muscle recuitment and streamlining then conventional fin also, so they say.

Seem cool so i thought i would share.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:05 AM   #2
Joe Miller

Profile:
Very cool - I'm going to have to try a pair of these!

And this idea seems so very obvious! One of those things where you wonder why no one ever thought of that before...
Old 09-07-2005, 09:24 AM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I'm curious how the short length will effect the propulsive properties of the fins. Fin stiffness and length is much like crank arm length and gearing on a bicycle. Shorter/more flexible fins allow faster finning, the opposite gives slower leg movement but more thrust per stroke. Since these fins stop at your toes the lever is shorter so the thrust per stroke will be different than fins that stick out a foot or so past your toes.

I ordered a set and will report back with a product evaulation after I get them.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #4
Jason Billows

Profile:
I'll be interested to hear your feedback Eugene.

I'd be most curious about the material. Looks to be quite flimsy to me.

I have been freediving competitively for a number of years now and spend 90% of my weekend in fins. I have used bi-fins, mono-fins, plastic, carbon fiber and everything in between.

I am aware of and have experienced some of the problems that these shinfins claim to avoid, but most of them are a result of using regular fins that are not appropriate for the person's body type. Usually a switch from hard fins to softer fins or longer to shorter fins will solve the problem.

Still, if these shinfins work well it will be a great tool for transitioning from swim workouts to other exercises on shore.

I'll anxiously await your report. Thanks for playing guineapig.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Eugene BUYING a piece of equipment to play with! OMG!

What is the world coming to?

I use my OVA watch almost everyday. Thanks again for the awesome review.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:29 AM   #6
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
My Shin Fins arrived today :-).
Haven't had a chance to test them yet :-( either tomorrow or tuesday.

Jason they feel kind of like the silicon seal on a mask at the edge but are a more rigid similar to tradition dive fins in the centre of the fin and seem quite strong.

I will keep you guys posted
Old 09-24-2005, 04:24 AM   #7
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Eugene have you got your shinfins yet? Mine arrived last week and i finaly got a chance to use my new toy.

Here's my 2cents
Let me say first i do not generally swim with fins, i dont feel like i can kick right,my feet cramp and an something inside me says its taking the easy way out(except when working butterfly, becasue i suck at it).

Putting them on is easy as, slip feet in tread the strap line up, tighten and their on 5sec or so. Off takes a little longer, to release and untread the strap 10-15sec but i think with practice it will be easier.
Walking in them is ok, just have to remember they do extend in from ankles a bit so have to walk like a guy, feet in two straight lines rather than the typical female single line gate. Running a little stiff, but doing grandstand stairs and step ups/box jumps fine.

Very strange to be standing in the pool fins on and still feeling the bottom.
Freestyle, First thing i noticed is that forward movement raised legs up, nice and stream lined, but this lifting doesn't give you an easy ride, by the end of the first 50m i could feel my quads and glutes working hard.You can't cheat you have to work. Usually dont get that with fins. Shin Fins work your larger muscles more than traditional fins.Also swimming timing far more natural than with fins.
Backstroke. Again legs are lifted as soon as you start moving, hips high in water. No excesive knee bend on recovery of kick.Very nice
Butterfly (remember i suck at this)didn't realy feel much variation, but then again i think that may be in part to my skill level at this stroke, very low. Also because i do usually do butterfly with fins,less than perfect technique and numb feet, the shin fins forced me to adjust the kick to a more effective motion due to the fact the fins dont extend past the feet.

In and out of pool over the side just as easy as with bare feet, its a little wierd at first when as you lift your foot to kick and it seperates from the fin but once you realise its not going to fall off its fine, I Think you may even be able to use them if you had an ankle injury( sprain/strain/reconstion because no real pressure is placed on the ankle.
No cramping,no numb feet or pins and needles, no iritation from fins or straps.

Very Cool Toy
Excellent piece of Equipment
IMO.

Princess Fiona
Old 09-24-2005, 07:20 AM   #8
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Your Grace,

Thank you for the report. I look forward to finally getting mine so I can give them a try too. I like the streamlining effect they give. That is an excellent method for getting the proper feel in the water for body alignment.

How about propulsion? Have you ever used Zoomers? I am curious if these fins replace regular pocket foot swim fins that I use for my underwater swims, or the much shorter Zoomers that I use for drills? It would be nice if they were good enough for both.

I leave for Missouri in the morning for a training thing in KC. They should have arrived by the time I return on Thursday. I'll chime in about them soon after.

In your service.

eug
Old 10-10-2005, 04:50 PM   #9
Marc Lee

Profile:
Hi Crossfit members,

I am the designer of shinfin™ fins and would like to add a few things which will be of particular interest to crossfit members interested in strengthening their thighs and torso, and at the same time improve their swimming kick and overall swimming technique/speed.

From your post Fiona (see post 2 above) you clearly clicked into the main shinfin benefits straight away - that’s great. You felt the workout really coming from your quads and glutes with a natural streamlined swimming timing that, as you say, you don’t get with traditional fins. This is what shinfin™ fins are designed to do. They work best with a streamlined kick like good swimmers do for freestyle, backstroke or fly (not for breaststroke or “frog-kick”). They help keep your body horizontal to reduce drag. They encourage you to kick from your hip without too much knee-bend. Power comes from the large muscles in your upper legs, buttocks and torso. It can take a while to build strength for a good streamlined kick, especially if it is new, so some swimmers may need to be patient for a few sessions - in the confidence that they are training for a good streamlined kick which stays for “no-fins” swimming too.

You said “You can't cheat you have to work. Usually don’t get that with fins.” This is because shinfin fins encourage you to keep your knees fairly straight and not to drop your knee like a foot flipper kick. Foot flippers need a different kick with much more knee bend, which causes more strain in your feet, ankles and calf muscles.

But in another sense, you can “cheat”, although I wouldn’t really call it cheating – more like “learning”. Crossfit members who aren’t yet good swimmers will be interested in this, as they can still get the fitness benefits of swimming because shinfin fins teach a horizontal body position and streamlined kick to learner swimmers. Even people who can only swim a short way find their swimming style and distance much improved by wearing them. The main thing is to relax and let the shinfin fins flow naturally. Don’t try to force shinfin fins into any particular kick action (especially not a foot fin kick). It is best not to think about it too much - just follow the natural, rhythmical flex of the fins. Then gradually build the kick power as much as you want …. to get the fitness benefits.

You are right - no significant pressure is placed on the ankles (or feet) which makes them good for people with ankle injuries etc.

By the way, there is a quick release method to take each fin off in about 5 seconds – as covered in my separate email to you Fiona and the tips we send out – sorry it wasn’t more obvious.

Thanks for your attention guys. Any questions just ask – I am here to help.

Cheers,
Marc
www.shinfin.com
Old 02-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #10
Leon Jenkins

Profile:
Re: Shin fins

I know this post is old, but for the people that are searching for more information from a third party about shinfin leg fins, check out this great review http://blog.swimator.com/2011/05/shi...e-sinking.html . It has a good instructional video about how to put the fins on and talks about the benefits.