CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #161
Laurel Andrews

Profile:
Re: My SLAP Journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Brown View Post
Yeah mine was open with 4 anchors mate.

Ive got a big dirty 20cm scar from the top of my shoulder all the way down disappearing into my armpit. The area around my scar is still very numb from the nerve damage. Ive been told the nerves can take up to 18 months to mesh back together at which point ill regain feeling in that area.

My surgeon gave me the option of open or closed. He said that if he went in closed i would have an 80% success rate. Then he said if he opens me up he can 100% guarantee the result. So going open with my surgeon was a no brainer.

Talking to a few people through this and its definately the case of different surgeons liking different things, open vs closed etc. Each one has their own style i guess.

Theres a guy in my hydro class who had closed surgery and 7 anchors... pretty skilled surgeon to do that closed i reckon!!
Hi Gravel - it's done! Pretty sore today, surgery was yesterday. when /how soon dtd you start hydrotherapy?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #162
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Hi Laurel,

The hardest part is over now mate, itll get better quickly from here. The first 6 weeks are a bit annoying but if you look after it and take it slow youll be fine.

I started hydro at 8 weeks, basically as soon as i got out of the sling they had me in the pool 2 times per week and im still doing that now.

Having said that, i have a guy in my hydro class who is at 6 weeks, depends a bit on what your surgeon says.

The key to the early stages is not to do anything silly. Basically enjoy the rest and know that every day is one step closer to 100% recovery. You will experience different bouts of pain, this used to stress me out thinking ive damaged it again but pain is all part of the process. Unless you do something completely silly, ie lifting heavy objects in the early stages, you shouldnt hurt it again. Just remember it does take 8 weeks for the body to 're-attach' everything... so take it slow.

Ive just reached the 5 month mark and apart from my arm still being fairly weak it feels almost completely normal. My ROM is near 100%. My recovery went fairly slowly until the 3 month mark and then all of sudden i seemed to get better very quickly and now im making progress in leaps and bounds.

One of the big positives of this surgery is it makes you re-assess your fitness goals and change things up a bit. Ive always been into weights and have never enjoyed running. Now that i have no other option ive learnt to enjoy running and riding and have a more cardio based fitness regime... so in that sense its been good. Plus it gives your body a complete rest for the first few months whilst you heal.

Stay positive mate, keep us updated with your progress!!
Old 12-05-2011, 02:15 AM   #163
Gravel Brown

Profile:

6 Month Update:

Overall: the overall prognosis is pretty good at this stage with things going along quite well. ROM is near 100% overhead and to the side of the body but external rotation and trying to get my hand onto the small of my back is still very stiff - as designed by the surgery i guess. Im sure ill get this back eventually but other ROM is the main thing and that seems to be really good.

Pain: right when i thought i was well and truely on my way i had another big 'flare-up' 2 weeks ago. Basically overdid the rehab weights by upping the weight from 10kg on the pulleys to 20kg. That combined with naturally doing a bit more at home had me feeling very sore... and pretty paranoid that id done some damage. Went in to see the surgeon and also my PT who both said that it was just inflammation. The pain was sharp and in the same spot as pre-op so hence the stress. I then had to back off of everything for 2 weeks, lots of ice, rest and tonnes of fish oils, and eventually it came good again. Just another reminder that even at this 6 month stage things are still quite weak and still i have to be very careful.

Plateau: the stage from 4-5 months have by far been the most productive as far as seeing big gains in recovery. The stage from 5-6 months for me has been a huge plateau and lately i dont feel like im getting anywhere... all part of the process i guess and hopefully things will take off again soon.

Rehab: still doiing 2 x hydro sessions per week and 1 x standard physio session per fortnight. All is going well here... albeit monotonous / boring. Im also doing quite a few of the Kelly Starret mobility WODs.. really upped this once i had the flare-up as my back, rear delt and chest were very stiff and sore. Highly recommend these for anyone going through shoulder rehab. The stuff using a ball to massage the areas is great.

Surgeon: the surgeon seems to think that im exactly where i should be at this stage and is happy with the progress. Im back in to see him again in Jan.

Fitness: lots of running and riding at present and still no weights. The boredom of running is starting to get to me a bit and i really miss lifting weights. Also doing a lot of situps and watching my diet pretty closely.

Strength: not real good. I can pull 15kg on the pulley rack 20 times x sets with ease, do pushups on my knees, situps, very light bicep curl dumbbells (8kg), flat bench a 20kg bar (just) and thats about it. Definately not keen to try anything at all that requires momentum as i can feel that my joint just isnt strong enough for that yet. Ive been told by my PT that overhead weights, snatches etc, are highly likely to be out of the question forever... just not a sensible thing to be doing in his opinion... i think he's right... why risk it when theres plenty of other weight stuff that i can do safely.

Overall: overall im pretty happy. I can do most things around the house, mow lawns and all the other standard stuff but its the small things that bug me... ie cant dig in the garden, cant lift anything too heavy, cant push heavy things around... im sure this will come in time but it is frustrating that at 6 months post-op i still have to be this careful. I put it down to for some reason getting into my head that this was a 6 month injury... wrong. For me in all reality the road back to 100% is definately going to be more like 12 months...

In closing: satisfied with the progress yet still having to be careful = very frustrating.

Last edited by Gravel Brown : 12-05-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #164
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Sorry things are not progressing as fast as you'd like Gravel. From my reading, the time line for recovery is 6-12 months, 6 being the fastest possible. But it can take 1-2 years to reach something resembling normality again.

It's a bit worrying that your PT says Snatches and over head stuff is out forever though. There's a guy I know who's 7 months post-op, though his op was slightly different (PASTA repair) and he's already getting PB OHS's, but still can't do a push up! My point is that there's likely to be stuff you can do just fine, and perhaps some that you won't.

My own story continues to evolve: I've just cancelled my op! Details on my blog here:

http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/201...y-shoulder-op/

Basically my shoulder is improving through my own rehabilitation, and every expert I've spoken to has told me not to have the op whilst there's any hint that it's getting better. For example one of the surgeons I spoke to said that SLAP tear repairs should be avoided at all costs, unless the pros far outweigh the very real cons.

Good luck fella.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #165
Michael Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Brown View Post
6 Month Update:

Overall: the overall prognosis is pretty good at this stage with things going along quite well. ROM is near 100% overhead and to the side of the body but external rotation and trying to get my hand onto the small of my back is still very stiff - as designed by the surgery i guess. Im sure ill get this back eventually but other ROM is the main thing and that seems to be really good.
Been awhile since I posted but I've been checking in from time to time. I feel your frustration. I'm almost 9 mo. out and I too am not up to full speed. Tried doing some cleans and press with 95 lbs the other day and it aggravated my shoulder a bit to the point where I need to take a few days or even a week break. At 6 months I was about where you were so it seems like you are on track. At almost 9mo. Im going regular pushups, deadlifts (light weight) KB swings (light weight), shoulder press (light weight) and even pullups (no kipping, sets of 5). It boils down to what you can do without pain. If I feel any weirdness or pain, I stop. I did wall balls the other day and had no problems......Its a slow process, I so want to be doing Fran as RX'd or even doing heavy oly lifts but that is not even in the picture at this point.....hang in there bro...you can do it.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #166
Jay Taylor

Profile:

I am at 7 weeks now and I am doing great. PT said he has never seen someone with my ROM this soon after surgery. I have been (without doctor's permission) been doing deadlifts (only 185lbs), safety bar squats, box jumps, rowing, ring rows, push-ups, GHRs, GHD situps, back extension, and sled pulls. Also one armed kettlebell work. The only things that I am not comfortable trying are anything overhead (including pullups, T2Bs, etc), dips, bench presses, and front squats.

I guess everyone heals differently. I think my coach encouraging me to keep working on strengthening my shoulder until right before surgery may have sped up my recovery.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #167
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Thanks guys.

Michael... thanks for the update mate, its good to know where youre at being 9 months out. Ive been following your progress from day 1 as its always given me an idea of what to expect next. Its good to now know that even after 9 months it still might be an uphill battle. Im with you though, working smart and slow is the best option. Mines the same, as soon as i over-do it it starts to feel funky again... almost feels real loose again and i get that dull ache back. We'll get there eventually though!

Colin... totally agree with your decision. If it seems to be getting better with PT then id be avoiding surgery at all costs. Mine just got worse and worse to the point where it was near dislocating from even the simplest of movements so i had no choice. I couldnt even type on the computer without it killing me and i had to lift my hand onto the steering wheel in the car with my good arm.. so for me it was a no-brainer. So many people have tears but theyre at a point where they can manage them with no surgery so why not. Surgery is a last resort in my opinion. Hopefully you get back to 100% with no op at all. Keep us updated.

Jay... glad to hear your progressing well mate, at just 7 weeks and doing what you are is great. Id just say to be careful though, ive been told that most repairs take at least 8 weeks to knit back together, and thats with complete rest and no movement. Having said that it all depends how bad your tear was and how extensive your surgery was... everyones different i suppose.

Keep the updates coming guys, its great to follow everyones progress back to that elusive 100% mark!

Old 12-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #168
Michael Dries

Profile:

I'm seeing my surgeon on Monday for my 3 month visit.

Right now I'm moving along well. In PT I graduated to full pushups for 3 sets of 10. And today my PT said my strength is coming along just fine it's just unlocking my rotation and over head ROM. I still can't quite get over head without really working my scapula. As well it's hard to go over head with my elbow straight so I have some ROM improvements that still need to be made.

I started safety bar squats and still just doing tabada air squats and bike stuff. No upper body weights as of yet. We'll see what the doc says on Monday.

Best thing is though I picked up my 3 yo niece the other day from the floor to shoulder height for a hug. That was the best.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #169
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
I'm seeing my surgeon on Monday for my 3 month visit.

Right now I'm moving along well. In PT I graduated to full pushups for 3 sets of 10. And today my PT said my strength is coming along just fine it's just unlocking my rotation and over head ROM. I still can't quite get over head without really working my scapula. As well it's hard to go over head with my elbow straight so I have some ROM improvements that still need to be made.

I started safety bar squats and still just doing tabada air squats and bike stuff. No upper body weights as of yet. We'll see what the doc says on Monday.

Best thing is though I picked up my 3 yo niece the other day from the floor to shoulder height for a hug. That was the best.
Sounds like its going well Michael. I found that between 3-4 months is when i saw the biggest improvements. From memory i re-gained overhead ROM at about 4 months. I think that hydrotherapy was the biggest key for me re getting ROM back.. water just takes the weight off everything and allows it all to move freely without having to fight gravity.

Keep it up mate, talk soon.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #170
Michael Dries

Profile:

It is going well. I saw my surgeon for my 3month follow up yesterday.

He's happy with the ROM and strength I've regained, I'm "right on track" that he usually sees for his patients.

We wants to see me in 2 months rather than 1. cool

I'm cleared to do pretty much anything I want exercise wise so long as it doesn't hurt. I've put together a plan with my PT, nothing overhead yet until my ROM is 100% otherwise I risk trashing my rotators. But I'm safety bar squatting, doing rows, push ups and more rows to strengthen my back. I also deadlifted today for the first time.

So psyched.