CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Joseph Beck

Profile:
How strict do I need to be

Prior to starting CrossFit I was working out six days a week; one day doing upper body weight training, and rotating with running 3-10 miles on a treadmill. I competed in a few races culminating in a half marathon (1:47.) The profile pic is from the end of that race. After completing that race I decided to mix up my training. One of my friends who was following the CrossFit endurance page began to challenge me to take it up.

Long story short, I've been doing CrossFit for about four or five months now & couldn't be happier. Just like many others before me, I can honestly say: CrossFit has changed my life!

I have begun to try and incorporate some of the dietary principals into my life. I am eating more vegies, almost totally cut out processed foods, no fast food, lots of meat, nuts, seeds ect.

I can't--or perhaps more correctly, refuse to give up all sugar. I've always had a sweet tooth. Also I am unwilling to give up the two beers I drink most days.

Some stats on me. I am forty years old. I weigh about 167# & stand about 5'7" tall.

My question is: Do I really have to give up those few indulgences? Clearly, I will get some benefit from the life changes I make regardless. Right? I mean II don't seem to be carrying a lot of excess fat around my midsection. Indeed I am quite happy with my body comp right now.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: How strict do I need to be

You don't "have to" do anything. If you're already happy with your body composition, blood panel, and performance, there's no reason to change your diet at all.

IMO, cutting out processed foods and fast food will bring most of the benefits that might be achieved with a more strict diet. Anyone seeking to be more strict than that should have a clear idea why, and what they hope to achieve.

Katherine
Old 11-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
David Fletcher

Profile:

In my opinion there are two ways to go about figuring this out for yourself.
1. Shoot for "good enough" and if you're happy with the results, then there you go.
2. Go for a 100% clean diet for a period of 30 days or so. After that you re-introduce possible offenders and note their effect, and depending on the results you determine whether it's worth eating them or not.

I went with #2 and every 6 months or so (which just so happens to coincide with Thanksgiving and Easter) I re-test the forbidden foods, and unfortunately to date they flare up old injuries, so I'm sticking to what I've been doing.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #4
Pearse Shields

Profile:

It sounds like you're just here to have people agree with you. And I will. What you put into your body is your own choice, and you're the only one who can enforce it.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:35 AM   #5
Michael Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Beck View Post
My question is: Do I really have to give up those few indulgences? Clearly, I will get some benefit from the life changes I make regardless. Right? I mean II don't seem to be carrying a lot of excess fat around my midsection. Indeed I am quite happy with my body comp right now.
A few indulgences are fine as long as you're feeling good. Too much sugar makes you groggy etc.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
Graeme Moore

Profile:

I'd also think about increasing that beer intake, man! WAY too low
Old 11-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Patrick Scott

Profile:

I'll agree w/ Dave Fletcher on this. A good way to start is a 30 day "strict de-tox" plan. Then reintroduce in small amounts, foods that you like to indulge in. Reintroduce them one at a time and note the specific effects. That would be the approach I would take if I felt that, despite a "decent diet", there were still things that I wanted to address.

But, overall, if you don't feel the need to tighten the diet up then don't worry too much about it. However, I will say that i have a serious sweet tooth as well and I notice that if I haven't had enough dietary fat, my sweet tooth starts to really creep in.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Jake Weiss

Profile:

http://www.glycemicindex.com/faq.htm#1b
http://www.beerandcarbs.com/info.htm