CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-11-2003, 04:24 AM   #1
wagner, tyler

Profile:  
Hey,
ive been hearing tons of stuff about this paleo diet, but im not so shure what to think. i was raised hearing that to much or to little of anything is a bad thing, and that everything should be in moderation. so needless to say i am already a little sceptical about the paleo plan. i realy want to know what my body needs after a hard workout to rebuild itself and grow. i dont really care if a little fat comes with it. fat is burnable. i just want to do the best thing for my body. im not so shure if depriving it of certain things is the best way to do that. if anyone has any imput i would realy appreciate it or even if anyone could take a shot at putting the paleo plan into laymans terms that would be great too. i want to know a little about this befor i try anything.

thanks
tyler wagner
Old 06-11-2003, 04:54 AM   #2
SHANE WERNER

Profile:

tyler

i also though the paleo diet sounded like another come and go dieting plan(i mostly got this from my dad who has done a complete 180 in his idea of good eating.), however the more i use it and follow it the more i think i was wrong. the paleo diet is basically were you eat only what early hunter/gatherer humans ate. meat, veggies make up the biggest portions. with small amounts of fruit, and barries and almost no grains. i dont follow the diet strictly. i dont think living in germany you could follow the diet, bread makes up like 3/4th of the meal here. but i have cut down on eating it, and just eat mostly salads and meat, or eggs. you can find some good sites online if you search around. hope this helps, if someone can explain it better please jump in.

shane.

P.S tyler bring some shorts you can wrestle in, this weekend we are going to have to have a wrestiling tournament with the BP.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:16 AM   #3
David Werner

Profile:
Shane
Your time would be better spent at a spelling tournament.

Dad
Old 06-11-2003, 11:40 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Tyler-

I hear the "everything in moderation" statement pretty frequently. My question is: what frame of refrence/theory is being used as a standard for defining "moderation". If one buys into the theory that we lived for a very long time as huntergatherers...well, that excludes many of the foods commonly lumped into this category of "moderation".
Robb
Old 06-18-2003, 07:55 PM   #5
Nick Martinez

Profile:
Hey,

WHat is the deal with "only a little fruit"?
I would like to think that fruit must have been a significant portion of the early diet only because it was very accessable. I find that on a lot of days with my hectic schedule, the only way I can stay within the zone/paleo framework is to munch on fruit. Is this counter-pruductive?

Nick
Old 06-18-2003, 08:01 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Nick-
If one is really trying to emulate the paleo fruit is not typically available all year round with the exception of a few locations (Im talking going outside and picking it...not to the grocery store!). Fruit is mainly a problem if you notice your body composition slipping or if you are experiencing some sluggishness after eating it.
Robb
Old 06-19-2003, 06:52 AM   #7
Scott Parker

Profile:
robb-

i can vouch for the fruit comment. just to see what would happen, i switched to zone proportions for each meal, and to get in all the carbs that is recommended on the diet, i added more fruit. the result was an increase in body fat, and i went back to always feeling hungry. it's been about a week since i went back to my old ways (occasional fruit, carbs primarily from veggies, mostly consisting of greens-spinach, chard, kale, and other veggies like red peppers, mushrooms) and definately feel better!

scott
Old 06-19-2003, 10:31 AM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Scott-

That is me for sure as well. Interesting stuff!
Robb
Old 06-19-2003, 01:44 PM   #9
Keith

Profile:

You can add me to that list as well.

Keith
Old 06-19-2003, 04:38 PM   #10
Cameron Lee Earle

Profile:  
What about large amounts of bacon?Is that ok?Ofcourse ill be eating eggs and or hamburger meat with that.